Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thai Food

BigDave

My wife and in-laws finally drug me to a Thai restaurant last night, and boy am I glad they did. I don't know what took me so damn long!!! I ended up ordering the Pad Prik King (w/ pork, green beens and house red curry) and ordered it hot. OMG!!! You want to talk about some of the most equisite culinary pain that can be inflicted on one's self. The flavors are simply insane and the heat is beyond description.

If you find yourself in Indy, look up Sawasdee on West 86th at Ditch Rd.

Recently introduced my family and myself to Thai food. I am the one in the family that loves hot. You know it's hot when your head sweats. They also have marvelous dishes for the rest of the family that don't prefer things quite so hot.

Char's in Tempe AZ has some pretty good Thai food. I can't remember the name of the dish but there is a soup with chunks of duck and pineapple in a red curry sauce that is just awesome. My buddy annoyed the guy that runs the place once by making some crack about this picture of some guy on the wall and his food was so hot it hurt just to be near it. :o

My first experience with gen-u-wine home cooked Thai food caused my ears to actually pop! Mona cooked a Prawn dish with rice and it tasted so goooooddddd! Then it started to get pretty warm, but I kept eating, then it was getting pretty hot. At that point why quit, your mouth isn't going to quit burning just because you stop eating, so I kept eating and then it got really HOT! About this time I noticed a buzzing in my ears. Seriously, my ears were buzzing and then POP!

Of course Mona thought that was pretty funny.

Nolan

My favorite Thai restaurant, in Providence, RI, is also called Sawasdee. I think it means "welcome" in Thai. The food is always awesome and I really like the Thai iced tea. This Sawasdee is BYOB but at other Thai restaurants I've really enjoyed Singha beer.

Parima and Royal Orchid in VT are also great.

The best here [according to sources] is Thai Orchid on 66th Street North.

My wife's family lived in Thailand for seven years. Her brother Henry eats Thai with the chopsticks in one hand, and cloth napkin in the other which he uses to wipe the sweat off his forehead. It hurts me just to watch. :blink:

PS - I'm staying with the fork. I like the fork.

• 1 year later...

Mmmm....Thai food good!

I have the good fortune of having the best Thai restaurant in Spokane being on my way home. Whenever I have a crappy day, there's just nothing better than drowning my sorrows in a bowl of seafood and coconut milk filled spicy goodness. :)

I too LOVE Thai food. Some of it maintains its heat all the way through playing havoc with the O-ring. I prefer really hot dishes that don't carry so far downstream, but I can't turn down a good spicy food!!

I have a classic Thai restaurant story that happened to me back in the late 80’s early 90’s. I was in a Thai restaurant in San Antonio with my mother. It was my first Thai experience. Now, at the time I was into hot food; I ate habaneros for kicks. So anyway, the nice Thai lady is there to take my order and I ordered and said I wanted it spicy, 4 Stars. (They had a 4 star spicyness scale, 4 being the hottest.) She asked if I’d had 4 stars before and I said no, but I told her that spicy food was old hat to me… She said she’d give me 1 star. I said, no I want 4 stars. This went back and forth for a while and she finally agreed and said, OK I bring you 4 star.

So the food comes and man it’s frick’n hot. I mean, I’m dying. It’s almost too hot. But, of course I eat it. The lady comes to the table to ask how everything is and I say it’s great, which it was. She asks if it was spicy enough and I said, with an emphatic nod, that it was. She looks at me with a smile and says, I give you 2 star…

I’ve never been able to find good Thai like that since. They had a fish sauce dipping sauce that was awesome, nam prik? All the other Thai I’ve found has been dumbed down for American palates…

Ordering Thai food hot is DANGEROUS!

My neighbors are Thai and I've eaten with them quite often. Their 7 year old son can eat food easily 10x hotter than I can handle.

You have no idea what hot is until you've tried to eat a normal Thai meal with Thailanders.....

I personally like the pad med mamung (sp?) and moo wan (also sp?) best. But plenty of other good dishes.

There's a decent thai place near me. They have mild (not hot, but tasty), medium (white man's hot), hot (which is very hot), secret hot (they have to know you for you to get it, but basically as hot as anything made to order in small ammounts gets at the place, you also get a tray of odd condiments I have no idea what they are besides the hot chilli flakes, but they go good on the food even if i['m not using them right), and grandpa hot (which basically means the really old guy is cooking in back, has made up a huge ammount of something for the family, and if they know you really well and think you will enjoy it MIGHT offer to share it with you.. I have never had it, but have been informed it is quite the experience).

secret hot and grandpa hot are temrs i made up to describe the off menu selections. For the whole spectrum the waitstaff act as gatekeepers and people regulalry get bumped down a notch if they don't think you are up to it.

Very good stuff.

How does the really hot stuff compare to a teaspoon full of Sirachi Chili Sauce?

No comparison. Sriracha is biased more fore flavor instead of heat IMHO. It's great in homemade chicken soup or pho for a nice little kick.

There's a place called Lemongrass here and they are the only ones that have made me cry 'Uncle.' When I go out to thai places, I tell them to make everything as hot as possible and it's usually just OK. Lemongrass has 20 levels of hot (I think each level is 1 teaspoon of their spices) and the 10th is about as hot as I could go before it turned in to 'chemical hot!'

For the whole spectrum the waitstaff act as gatekeepers and people regulalry get bumped down a notch if they don't think you are up to it.

Yup. Unless they know me, I always get that 'are you sure' look. My g/f and I always get a nice little chuckle when I ask for their spice tray after I get my food.

How does the really hot stuff compare to a teaspoon full of Sirachi Chili Sauce?

No comparison. Sriracha is biased more fore flavor instead of heat IMHO. It's great in homemade chicken soup or pho for a nice little kick.

There's a place called Lemongrass here and they are the only ones that have made me cry 'Uncle.' When I go out to thai places, I tell them to make everything as hot as possible and it's usually just OK. Lemongrass has 20 levels of hot (I think each level is 1 teaspoon of their spices) and the 10th is about as hot as I could go before it turned in to 'chemical hot!'

I get what you're saying. There's a Thai place here that does more "fusion" dishes that have some heat, but I doubt it's anything to the level that has been discussed in this thread.

Sirachi is a very nice addition to Southern Style Potato Salad and Publix Fried Chicken.