Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advantage of Thinner Front Sight

Smitty79

I bought a Shadow (91030) and I am fine with it. It came with a .125 in wide front sight and shoots POI=POA at 7 yds with my current load.

I recently picked up a second hand Tac Sport with aftermarket sights. No slide racker. But it did come with rear adjustable and an FO front sight.

I like the sight picture of the 0.1 in front sight that came on the TS. I'm a C shooter who can shoot an occasional 70% in practice and if I wasn't spending my time shooting zero or hero on classifiers, could probably shoot high 50s to low 60s. Would the thinner sight help or should I just spend the money on ammo and the time needed to set it up on practice?

Edited by Smitty79

I find a thinner sight post easier to center quickly in the notch. If I see rear sight edge, equal daylight, front sight edges, equal daylight, rear sight notch edge then I know I'm good. (duh, hahahha) But with a little more daylight I think I just instinctually find it faster.

This is a interesting topic. I know that a skinny front sight is faster as it lets more light in and I can pick up the sights faster but I don't know if it's as accurate as having a thick front sight. The thick front sight lets in less light and there's less room to move the front of the gun side to side so I think it would be more accurate. Before I switched to the cz I shot a m&p with a thin front sight and although very fast i was not very accurate with it, although this could be the gun as a whole and not just the front sight. My cz has a much wider front sight and I'm pretty accurate with it. Again going from a m&p first gen gun to a cz shadow is a big difference so I don't know what to think. Is the thin front sight better all the way around or is the thick one the way to go.

I talk to some very good shooters who have different ideas on this and I've settled on it's personal preference. I no longer believe one is per se faster or more accurate than the other given the needs and preference of the particular shooter. Do what you like and works best for you.

I like a 0.09 or a 0.10. And I agree with the idea that once you shoot one a lot that is what works for you. So preference it is. As for distance accuracy I still like having the light as for me it is easier to notice the front sight moving if I have a bit of light on either side, rather than with a thicker front sight you get less feed back, proportionally. And with a thinner front sight at close up stuff it is easier to look through the sights and blast.

Early on I would even file the rear notch open on certain sights if I didn't like how the sight picture/sight alignment looked for my preference.

My Shadow Target's OEM front sight was just a little too thick for USPSA production. I put in a Dawson .110 wide front and I found I could shoot just as accurately for long distance, and a little quicker for close targets.
Just a word of caution, the OEM sight was a real pain to take out. Be prepared to give it a good number of hits with a rubber hammer. The Dawson one went in without a hitch.

Thinner sights allow more light to get in as well as more of the target to be seen. When shooting mini poppers at 25 yards a thin sight can come in handy

Hey Joe, you shoot a shadow, what front and rear sight do you have? Brand and size?

Thinner sights allow more light to get in as well as more of the target to be seen. When shooting mini poppers at 25 yards a thin sight can come in handy

Hey Joe, you shoot a shadow, what front and rear sight do you have? Brand and size?

I have the H-Tac rear (HAJO with a tactical cut) and I asked Stuart to mill down the standard Accu Shadow front sight to 1.00 for me. I believe the Accu comes with a 1.125?

I have the H-Tac rear (HAJO with a tactical cut) and I asked Stuart to mill down the standard Accu Shadow front sight to 1.00 for me. I believe the Accu comes with a 1.125?

Thanks for the info, it's good to know. I think I'm gonna order a thinner Dawson front sight. Great shooting by the way. Pretty awesome to get where your at in that short amount of time. I've been shooting right at 3 years and just made M. You think that Stoeger class made the difference?? Thanks again

Hey thanks buddy, I appreciate that. Ben's class definitely pushed me to work on the areas where I was weak and it also gave me motivation to know he thought I could do it. That said, lots of dry fire and eating the humble pie in practice helps too. Congrats on making M!

I think thinner front sights are the best bet for our type of shooting.

On up close, fast shooting all I'm really seeing is the fiber dot, so the width of the blade doesn't come into play.

On longer or more difficult shots the thinner front blade covers up less of the target and lets you aim more precisely.

You can use a rear sight of different widths to get the gap you prefer.

I swapped out my H-Tac sights for Dawson's on my P-09 and noticed a slight increase in MY accuracy. The increased amount of light really made a difference for me.

I talk to some very good shooters who have different ideas on this and I've settled on it's personal preference. I no longer believe one is per se faster or more accurate than the other given the needs and preference of the particular shooter. Do what you like and works best for you.

That is my experience.

I started fat, got skinny, and then went back to fat, but that is just what works best for me and my senior class vision.

A lot of it is about rear sight opening width and depth and sight radius also.