Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which GLOCK 34 for IDPA SSP / USPSA Production?

TalkingMonkey

For a little over a year now, I've been using a Gen 3 Glock 19 for IDPA and occasional USPSA competitions. I've been doing fairly well with it, but at some recent practice sessions, three different people let me try their Gen 4 G34s after I first ran the stages with my G19. On average, my times improved with the G34 by about 18%. Naturally, I'm now very interested in picking one up for myself.

Should I stick with the Gen 3 since that is what I'm currently running or do the changes to the Gen 4 make it a better choice for competition?

I do prefer the texture of the Gen 4 grip, however, I like it setup with the medium backstrap so the grip reduction isn't a factor for me.

Thanks!

I use the Gen's 4's as I have small hands and move the safety to the right side (no chance of breaking the 180 rule when changing mags during a mag change). This is much better than a extended left side mag release for me....I could care less about the backstraps / "feel" difference in gen. 3 & 4's. A plus is that you should never get called for the "trigger" finger rule when changing mags. . For years, I've also have the right side Mitchell mag release on my 2011 SV open gun..

Gen 3/4 difference matters most in SSP/Prod... If you decide to go ESP/Limited/L10... I prefer the Gen three because of the ability to add a mag release 'scallop'... Looks good. Works better. And a dialed in stainless guide rod will always outperform a dual spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Dre's assessment. To really "dial-in" the recoil spring on a Gen4, you have to replace the RSA with a Gen3 guide rod and then add in a "Reducer Ring" to make the ISMI spring fit it. That Reducer Ring is easily lost if you have to field strip the gun at the match, so it's just one more piece to add.

I really like to tune my springs, especially running a custom load at 130-135 PF. A 13# spring feels completely different than a stock RSA.

If they had made an SF version of the Gen3 G-34, it would've been the perfect Production/SSP gun for those with small hands, IMHO.

I like the G4 with backstrap because I get a consistent high grip every time. G3, or without the beavertail my web gets a little too high. I'm pretty sure everything good for a G3 is available for a G4 these days anyway....

I shoot a Gen 2

Sweet! A Gen 2 glock34! I've never seen a g34 gen2. Or a g26 or g27 in gen2.

I wonder why that is? Could or be that they never made them?

I like the old gen2 guns, and I've thought about picking up a 3 pin g22 and using it in production, but never have.

I shoot a Gen 2

I like the old gen2 guns, and I've thought about picking up a 3 pin g22 and using it in production, but never have.

There is a gen 2.5 Glock 34

Basically a gen 3 Glock with a 2 pin frame. But certainly not a gen2 or gen3

I prefer the gen 4. I am not sure on IDPA rules but I believe the Jager rod is legal making changing recoild springs a mute point. The grip is better in both surface and size. The larger mag relases is also great on the G4.

I have always liked the Gen3 model, but have since sold my Gen3 models and have gone with the Gen4 models. I like the feel of the grip much better on the Gen4 models and do not need to add any grip tape.

I shoot a Gen 2

There is a gen 2.5 Glock 34

Basically a gen 3 Glock with a 2 pin frame. But certainly not a gen2 or gen3

As said there never were Gen 2 G34/35s. They came out just after the introduction of the Gen 3. Putting a Gen 2 G17/22 frame on a G34 slide is not Production legal.

There are a number of 17/19/34s with a 2 pin Gen 3 frame, I used to have both a 17 and 19 like that. The Gen 2.5 refers to a frame that has finger grooves, but no rail (excluding the sub-compacts). There were a few of these made right as the Gen 3 was coming out; I've seen the most G21 Gen 2.5s, but there might also be some 17/22/31s out there as well.

And there was also never a G26/27 without the finger groove. The earliest G26s has a smooth front strap though without checkering.