Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 failure to extract issue

vixty

Installed a wolf xp spring and a new extractor. Didn’t modify the tab on the extractor or anything. 3-400 rounds today and no issues so far. Unfortunately area 7 is the next time I’ll be putting some rounds on it so we’ll see how it goes. I’m hopeful but last time it went more than a few hundred issue free and then started shitting the bed again. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Shmella

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same issue with several different extractors - factory, PD, Ben Stoeger's Pro Shop. The fix described by Shmella in this post worked.

The key insight was that extraction happens when the barrel has already been unlocked and is lowered. So it does not really matter how tight the extractor holds the casing when the casing is centered relative to the firing pin, or how strong the extractor spring is. If the bottom (curved) part of the extractor claw cannot go close enough to the centerline because extractor foot contacts the slide, the extractor can't get enough purchase on the rim. You do the shake test or see extractor marks on the bottom of the groove and think that extractor can reach deep enough, but that's only when the casing is all the way up the bolt face.

Filing just a little (0.1 to 0.2 mm) off the extractor foot turned out to be sufficient. Ejection pattern became predictable, and number of stoppages went from 1 in 200 to 1 in 1,000. Tried with two different extractors.

I filed and reshaped my last extractor to the point of no return and had to buy a new one. That one worked for about 1000 rounds too then started crapping out on me. The new extractor was shaped differently, I will try to take a picture of it when I clean my gun today or tomorrow in preparation for Area 7 on sunday. So far with the new extractor that i havn't modified at all, and new xp wolf spring, the gun ran 600 rounds so far without issue.

This year, all if have shot in matches and most practices is once fired Nickel and all same headstamp. The rims are all in great shape on all of the nickel rounds ive put through this gun. 200 out of the last 600 rounds tested were mixed range brass and worked too.

Installed a wolf xp spring and a new extractor. Didn’t modify the tab on the extractor or anything. 3-400 rounds today and no issues so far. Unfortunately area 7 is the next time I’ll be putting some rounds on it so we’ll see how it goes. I’m hopeful but last time it went more than a few hundred issue free and then started shitting the bed again. Fingers crossed. 

How’d it do at A7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, SCTaylor said:

How’d it do at A7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankfully it ran 100%. Wolf xp spring, and I must have finally found the lucky extractor that agrees with my gun. I took 6th in production so I’m glad I didn’t get plagued with any issues or there’s no way that would have happened. 

• 9 months later...

So who has missed this thread? I'm having this issue. I'm installing new extractor and new stock spring. Where should I sand/file the extractor to make it work reliably. My gun is the Limited Custom in 9mm.

1 hour ago, Tirppa said:

So who has missed this thread? I'm having this issue. I'm installing new extractor and new stock spring. Where should I sand/file the extractor to make it work reliably. My gun is the Limited Custom in 9mm.

This thread is all about the Wolff XP spring. Do not use the stock spring

With one of my tanfos, the wolff xp extractor spring was too long, it bound up so tight the extractor couldn't even move fully back and forth. Wonder if some guns/extractor spring pockets are deeper, able to tolerate the wolff spring, and therefore have not enough tension with factory spring. 

51 minutes ago, Polymer said:

Wonder if some guns/extractor spring pockets are deeper, able to tolerate the wolff spring, and therefore have not enough tension with factory spring. 

I would bet that you are correct. 

7 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

With the Wolff and clean powder (sport pistol) I'm now finding that I still need to pull the extractor and clean things somewhere south of 5,000 rounds. 

No big deal,  fwiw. 

5000 sounds fine.. I'm now at a situation where I have to clean the extractor every 500 rounds. It's bit of a pain.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 7:21 PM, Polymer said:

With one of my tanfos, the wolff xp extractor spring was too long, it bound up so tight the extractor couldn't even move fully back and forth. Wonder if some guns/extractor spring pockets are deeper, able to tolerate the wolff spring, and therefore have not enough tension with factory spring. 

I had this problem. The fix is when placing the spring, have the last loop on the outside. Installed 2 this way and never had any problems with battery and extracting.

Last week i had a problem with the stock 2 not extracting at a competition using factory ammo. I use reloads for my training LRN 145 gr  with pf 132 coal 1.136 and shot quite a lot before the match without even a hiccup. At the match the first stage was ok  but the second one had a couple of stops ruining the stage and the third one had to stop . the issue was sort of double feeding , cleaned the mags tried again did the same then i changed to the stock 3 and work flawlessly . Ammo was factory Selier and Bellot 124 gr. what could be the casue

thanks

andre

if the gun is new, you need to take the extractor spring out and replace it with a WOLF XP Spring.
Tanfo factory springs are utter garbage and only last for about 200 rounds.

This thread is very long and I was part of it for a good part of 3 months trying to figure this out as well. 

Replace the spring with XP, DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING : do not modify your extractor, do not touch the new spring. Just replace it. 

Do not waste your time with other tanfoglio spring, just get wolf.

Enjoy.

On 4/11/2019 at 10:50 PM, happygunner77 said:

I had this problem. The fix is when placing the spring, have the last loop on the outside. Installed 2 this way and never had any problems with battery and extracting.

Can you elaborate? Last loop meaning what? I remember mine looked identical both ends.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:32 AM, Avenida said:

if the gun is new, you need to take the extractor spring out and replace it with a WOLF XP Spring.
Tanfo factory springs are utter garbage and only last for about 200 rounds.

As a general rule I do not know if that is the rule in general :) . 

Seems to depend a lot on the tolerances of specific guns. I do not have any Tanfo's that require the wolf spring, but on a couple I have eventually needed to replace the oem spring (several thousand rounds) and installed the wolf because I thought perhaps it would last longer and it is what all of the cool shooters were doing :) . Have read about some folks needing to cut the wolf down a coil or two due to too much extractor tension, I did not.  

For your specific gun I don't doubt that you are 100% right.