Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 failure to extract issue

vixty

54 minutes ago, kernelofwisdom said:

I took 4 thousandths off the pad of the extractor and put in an uncut xtra power spring and it seems to be working. I had a few new extractors and I measured the pad dimension and the one I had in was worst case. I filed it down to the best case dimension I measured. Seems so little, but I am past dismissing the small things. The extractor travel with the full length spring is very non linear, but it works. It definitely won’t over travel much so that probably helps keep it from slipping off. 

Does your gun passes the brass in the chamber, extractor going over the rim of the brass test?

The test is described by cha-lee above.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, reaper1 said:

I don't know what happend but here in Poland best shooters switched from Tanfos to CZs and gunsmiths (I asked to fix my STOCK II) are like : "Not a f*** chance, I will not touch this s*** anymore"

If you can get there "JM Works" in Sweden can fix your gun.

Sorry I meant the smallest dimension, which I measured on the extractors themselves, which enabled the extractor to travel closer to the brass.  This was what I meant by “best case”. The extractor actually needs very little travel to feed the next round. With the stock spring it has a very linear travel for a longer distance/angle. With the extra power spring it has much less travel and gets very stiff quickly. I thought this would give me problems in feeding, but it works fine and likely gives way more extractor tension while limiting any unecessay outward travel causing it to slip off.  I just wasn’t sure that with all the coils it was right, but if it feeds what the heck. 

1 hour ago, kernelofwisdom said:

Sorry I meant the smallest dimension, which I measured on the extractors themselves, which enabled the extractor to travel closer to the brass.  This was what I meant by “best case”. The extractor actually needs very little travel to feed the next round. With the stock spring it has a very linear travel for a longer distance/angle. With the extra power spring it has much less travel and gets very stiff quickly. I thought this would give me problems in feeding, but it works fine and likely gives way more extractor tension while limiting any unecessay outward travel causing it to slip off.  I just wasn’t sure that with all the coils it was right, but if it feeds what the heck. 

OK this is what I tried.

I replaced both my stock 2 with XP springs.

IF I do the test as explained by CHA LEE both my guns fail when I do the test slowly, HOWEVER, if I release the slide from slide lock the momentum created by the recoil spring has enough strength to get the extractor over the rim of the piece of brass with no problems. I tried this on both guns a few times with an old extractor (to avoid any unnecessary wear on the new one) then I replaced the new one and I did the test one time on each gun.

It worked as it supposed to in both guns.

In other words, I will try this with live fire hopefully tomorrow and I ll see how the gun performs. If it fails, then I will officially give up and go back to the glock, lol.

haha

Edited by Avenida

I haven’t tried it yet (I will tonight) but this operation sounds

2 hours ago, Avenida said:

OK this is what I tried.

I replaced both my stock 2 with XP springs.

IF I do the test as explained by CHA LEE both my guns fail when I do the test slowly, HOWEVER, if I release the slide from slide lock the momentum created by the recoil spring has enough strength to get the extractor over the rim of the piece of brass with no problems. I tried this on both guns a few times with an old extractor (to avoid any unnecessary wear on the new one) then I replaced the new one and I did the test one time on each gun.

It worked as it supposed to in both guns.

In other words, I will try this with live fire hopefully tomorrow and I ll see how the gun performs. If it fails, then I will officially give up and go back to the glock, lol.

haha

ok. I’ll take having to drop the slide over a round than the random extraction bit. 

41 minutes ago, kernelofwisdom said:

Mine drops over a chambered dummy round. 

well if this is working for you, then that is what the solution must be. Just put the Xp spring without mods and it should be good to go.

I did try 2 different springs in mine recently, both cut, one a little bit more generous cut than the other. The weaker one was more prone to FTE than the other one a bit tighter.

I am going to run with XP spring uncut, I also installed a extractor that has the lowest dimensions just like you did. All my extractors are slightly different but the sweet spot looks like around 0.288 inch

200 ROUNDS without a hiccup. Hopefully it stays that way so it is promising.

I put another XP spring on my 2nd gun and also run perfect.

These springs were not cut nor modified in any way, the extractor is hard as a rock and contrary to what was recommended before it works, extracts (and allows ejection) and it can also slip over a chambered round if needed.

My advise to those having this issue, put an XP WOLFF spring in it, do not modify the spring and go shoot the gun.

If I do not update this thread in 4 weeks, you can rest assured my gun has been fixed.

I solved all issues once and for all, but I had to change some things mentioned below:

- barrel

- slide

- grips

- all springs

- hammer

- sights

- trigger (for SA)

- painted to black

- some other minor changes

This is how my issue-free gun looks like:

8d0b3MK.jpg

Thanks You ALL for your time trying to solve my problem, I really do appreciate it.

1 hour ago, reaper1 said:

I solved all issues once and for all, but I had to change some things mentioned below:

- barrel

- slide

- grips

- all springs

- hammer

- sights

- trigger (for SA)

- painted to black

- some other minor changes

This is how my issue-free gun looks like:

8d0b3MK.jpg

Thanks You ALL for your time trying to solve my problem, I really do appreciate it.

The extraction issue was solved with the XP spring for me, 500 rounds going strong. Tomorrow more testing, but it seems it is good to go now as it was failing every 100 rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

another 200 rounds tonight in a short practice with no issues.

The XP Spring looks like the solution to my problem.

I will post here again if there is an issue with my gun.

:):):):):)

7 hours ago, Avenida said:

another 200 rounds tonight in a short practice with no issues.

The XP Spring looks like the solution to my problem.

I will post here again if there is an issue with my gun.

:):):):):)

:):D

Long story short, you reamed the chamber & put in a stiff spring & that fixed it??

Curious, is your frame the original style with the thinner trigger guard & the tang that curls upward?

My 9mm's (2) are the newer style and have been pretty much no worries, recently bought a 40 with the old style frame. Looking at the 40 magazine opening, the casting of the frame was very sloppy and there is a very visible bump on one side of the opening (surprised they let it leave the factory like that - would not have bought it if I had the chance to inspect it first - but I'll fix it with a dremel) , and fitting a bolo to that 40 was something I gave up on (after destroying one) and let Patriot Defense figure out. 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

:):D

Long story short, you reamed the chamber & put in a stiff spring & that fixed it??

Curious, is your frame the original style with the thinner trigger guard & the tang that curls upward?

My 9mm's (2) are the newer style and have been pretty much no worries, recently bought a 40 with the old style frame. Looking at the 40 magazine opening, the casting of the frame was very sloppy and there is a very visible bump on one side of the opening (surprised they let it leave the factory like that - would not have bought it if I had the chance to inspect it first - but I'll fix it with a dremel) , and fitting a bolo to that 40 was something I gave up on (after destroying one) and let Patriot Defense figure out. 

Both of mine are 2017 models.

Reaming the chamber did not solve the issue, the gun continued to fail with a reamed chamber and stock extractor spring or CUT XP spring (as it was recommended earlier on this thread).

My solution is solely based on replacing the spring for an uncut, unmodified XP WOLFF spring. For searching purposes on this thread let me be very clear:

**** THE GUN HAS HAD NO MALFUNCTIONS IN OVER 500 ROUNDS WITH AN  UNMODIFIED XP WOLFF EXTRACTOR SPRING ****

Reaming the chamber made loading for this pistol a lot easier now, the chamber's throat was very short from the factory. I am happy I did it, I do not have to worry about COL as much. I kept my current loads at 1090 (147 CAMPRO bullet) just because is what CAMPRO recommends for this bullet type but I can load all the way up to 1130/1140 if I wanted to, which I think it would be silly to do with 147gr.

Edited by Avenida

If your bullets and brass play well together and you arent finding more than a handful of sizing failures per 1,000 rounds loaded? Keep on rocking what you have.

Shoving a long 147 deeply into a tapered wall 9mm case will often cause many times the faiure rate as if you don’t press the bullet in as deeply, or switch to a shorter 135 or 124.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The gun has between 2-3k rounds through it and i cleaned the extractor after it happened a week ago during practice.
Today on a stage the gun jammed up because it didnt extract the fired brass and tried to feed the next round. Dropped the mag and racked to slide to clear. I shot 6 more times to finish the stage and when i went to clear the gun i noticed it had done the same thing again but luckly on the last shot of the stage. I highly doubt the spring is bad and the extractor doesnt look damaged in any way. I attached a photo of the malfunction.
Any thoughts?
post-59822-0-06169300-1443306323_thumb.jpg
Stock 2 works well with extra power extractor spring

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Just came back from the range, another 220 rounds tonight. Not a single hiccup.

Looks like I found my solution, as I am over 1000 rounds now without any malfunctions.

Cheers!