Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 failure to extract issue

vixty

ok, after a chat with local dealer a recommendation has been made and guess what it was :)

Actually it was to not ream the chamber. They say it is not recommended, however, due to the volume of shooters that have done this to their gun, I have decided to do it on mine.

I do not have time to take this to a gunsmith and I have been toying with the idea of doing it myself. I watched all the youtube videos so I am an expert now, lol. 

It scares the SH!T out of me the idea of reaming the barrel, so if someone could guide me in the right direction here that would be great. First steps is getting the reamer from Brownells.

I can see only one kind of reamer on there, and it is a finisher, I presume this should be ok.

Question:

Has anybody done this yourself?

If so, how can I make sure to not ruin the barrel?

The reamer seems VERY long, how is this not suppose to touch the rifling while reaming?

Any disadvantage in reaming the barrel?

Anyway, it seems a bit technical however I still think I can do this.

I am thinking that if I get proper guidance from here, I am willing to shoot a video of the action (have decent equipment to do so as I was a pro photographer) and have it documented for future shooters.

what do you guys think?

Edited by Avenida

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two (2) companies that can correctly ream a tanfo 9mm chamber.

Only 2.

They both use special reamers.

Seriously, send it to Joe.  he turns them in a day for less than a reamer from brownells that will ruin your barrel.

2 hours ago, Avenida said:

ok, after a chat with local dealer a recommendation has been made and guess what it was :)

Actually it was, to not ream the chamber. They say it is not recommended, however, due to the volume of shooters that have done this to their gun, I have decided to do it on mine.

What did they actually recommend then?

i done this  with brownells  kit to many barrels. for tan. and cz guns.

but i used  pilots that i made  from bronze instead pilots from the kit , because they  can scratch    rifling of the barrel.

every barrel have different i.d.  bore , so for every barrel that i reamed  i made pilot .

be careful  ,if pilot will not fit perfectly bore  i.d.  u can ruin the barrel.

The brownells reamer will not work with a gun that has a polygonally rifled barrel. You need one specifically made with a smaller pilot on the tip in order for it to work.

I’ve reamed four gun barrels and I’m comfortable doing it.

But I sent my Tanfoglio barrel to Bevin Grams.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The brownells reamer will not work with a gun that has a polygonally rifled barrel. You need one specifically made with a smaller pilot on the tip in order for it to work.

I’ve reamed four gun barrels and I’m comfortable doing it.

But I sent my Tanfoglio barrel to Bevin Grams.

i used B.reamer  for polygonal barrels too .

i don't use B. pilots.

1 hour ago, Avenida said:

As mentioned I am in Canada, so sending to PD is not an option.

Gun laws are weird.

In the US, sending a barrel is no different than sending a pair of socks but sending the part of the gun that includes the trigger is where the gun laws kick in.

I do not know diddly about Canadian regulations so I'm guessing that this is either a Canada thing or just that stuff gets another level of weird at customs. 

when it comes to shipping a gun part across the border whether it is the country next door or across the globe, there is a lot of red tape to be cut otherwise you are importing piece by piece illegal firearms into the next country. Yes some parts can be shipped without this, for example, most Glock components can be. This is where ITAR and other arrangements of laws come into place.

Barrels, slides, frames, scopes, magazines and other goodies are impossible to import or ship for gun smithing unless you get the permits in place. This is not cost efficient therefore it has to be done locally.

Lucky me, in my province I found a gun smith familiar with the platform and he also has a custom made reamer for tanfoglios. 

He said this pistols are chamber under CIP specifications (not SAAMI) and therefore, throats are very short and cause a lot of issues with ammo found in north america.

It is cheap to do, so I figure lets give this a try before I keep on rumbling and changing other pistol parts.

I have also ordered a 2nd Stock II chrome and is arriving shortly, so this in combination with a reamed barrel, I will soon know what is the cause of my issues.

Will keep this thread updated.

1 hour ago, Avenida said:

He said this pistols are chamber under CIP specifications (not SAAMI) and therefore, throats are very short and cause a lot of issues with ammo found in north america.

Correct. Tanfos are Eurpoean. The 9mm cartridge is German in origin. We all know these things. But whenever someome complains about their Tanfo, someone inevitably says “that doesn’t make sense! SAAMI specification for max OAL in 9mm is 1.169. Why the defective chambers?”

SAAMI is an American organization:

http://saami.org/who_we_are/index.cfm

Look at the member companies. Quite a few foreign gunmakers are absent. Hmm.

Tanfos shoot NATO spec ammo and the short FMJ ball rounds that are prevalent in Eurpoe just fine. That’s what they were designed for.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I just found a similar thread on doodie project, and it is also recent. MemphisMec is posting on there too.

The interwebz is crazy.

Gonna follow that thread as well but according to what I read there (op has tested different ejector and springs and the issue remains), I think this is chamber related as the issue is identical to mine.

oh yes you are right, I missed that part.

I think I might have found the cause of my issues. Decided to take a closer look at my chamber, not sure why I did not think of doing it before.

If one of you could do the same, it would be great to compare. Note that to achieve these images you have to shine a bore light up from the muzzle, otherwise it will not work. Any lighting coming from the camera side will flatten the edges and you will not see marks of imperfections.

Note that I have rotated the barrel so you can see the lines going all around it, however, these lines are not constant and uniform. Also, they are only located at the very end of the chamber.

I understand the chamber should taper a little bit as you get close to the shoulder (am I correct?) however, these abrupt imperfections can be a good indications of why the brass is not extracting.

Also, whitout a light, these imperfections are hard to pick up, a naked eye would see them but it is a lot harder. I had looked down the barrel more than a dozen times before and I had not see them fully.

Bringing this up to see if some of you can take a photo of your chamber (you will need a macro lens) and perhaps you can educate me if I am completely off, or my chamber has been done with an Italian chainsaw.

Thank you.

DSC_1705.jpg

DSC_1706.jpg

DSC_1707.jpg

DSC_1708.jpg

DSC_1713.jpg

DSC_1724.jpg

Edited by Avenida

I would assume factory.

Much of tanfo machining of internal holes,  looks like that.  my firing pin channel in my primary looked like it was machined by drunk monkeys with rough rocks.  it caught the firing pin, slowing it enough to cause issues.  (with lighter springs, factory hammer spring was functional but over the 12# max of my pull gauge. )

31 minutes ago, johnbu said:

I would assume factory.

Much of tanfo machining of internal holes,  looks like that.  my firing pin channel in my primary looked like it was machined by drunk monkeys with rough rocks.  it caught the firing pin, slowing it enough to cause issues.  (with lighter springs, factory hammer spring was functional but over the 12# max of my pull gauge. )

s...t 

they  didn't  send to us  workmanship like this.

maybe they afraid from ours  neighbors  from  isis :ph34r:

:lol:

Edited by yigal

I just looked at my barrel under a flash light. It has a ring half way down the chamber but it’s still smooth and even with a fine point pick, I couldn’t feel an edge to it. I inserted some fired casings in and out of the chamber and the cases I tried were equally as tight and resisted the same in and out of the tanfo barrel and also out of a Glock 9mm barrel I had on hand. The barrel could be out of spec,  but I still thing the top of the hook of the extractor might be more to blame. Also I have yet to put many rounds since messing with mine again. 200 or so but those worked fine. (Its cold up here, with highs in the teens this week. I haven’t hit the range much lately)

2 hours ago, Avenida said:

Yeah, mine you can barely feel it, however, this is the first time ever that I see this kind of finishing in a semiautomatic. I think it is unacceptable.

u are wright.

i think that tan. italy  will replace barrel for u with no problem ,     (it can be properly  reamed  with finer reamer to solve this  problem )

because as i remember the owner is very smart and reasonable man.

Agrrrrr :/

I had Failure To Feed issue, and now Failure to Extract.

My case (FTF and FTE you can find here):

Well, recently I had 1x FTE with brand new extractor and extractor's spring - I really hope it was due to sand (sand was wet and very sticky).

If not, I have not a clue.

My mags (all) have the same dimensions, chamber is smooth and polished - have no idea what else could it be, so I really hope it was one-time accident.