Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm soft load

bret

What is a good soft shooting 9mm load?

My 14 year old daughter shoots some with a G34, the loads I have seem pretty snappy.

Would like to get her something that shoots a little softer.

The same loads are pretty soft in a 1911, so it must be the plastic fantastic that is causing it to be more snappy.

I have all kinds of different powders, CSB 1, Unique, Titegroup, Clay Dot, E3 and a few others.

I have some 115 grain lead and plated projectiles as well as 124 FMJ.

Not too concerned about power factor since these are club level matches with no chronograph.

But 125 or a little over would be nice if she does decide to shoot a bigger match with me later.

She can shoot my STI Edge, .40 with major loads better, but I prefer her to shoot the glock rather than her having to deal with a manual safety, a light trigger and very little takeup.

Thanks

As others have said, use the heaviest bullet you have, in your case 124's. Then use the fastest powder you can that requires the fewest grains of powder to safely make the velocity you are going for. Titegroup, Clay Dot, and E3 could all be decent options, look in loading manuals, on powder manufacture websites, or here for ideas, but always work up a load slowly with a chrono, keeping an eye on primers and other pressure signs.

Not too concerned about power factor since these are club level matches with no chronograph.

If local matches have steel, she still needs to knock them down, so best to stay

at 128 or so.

If you can get your hands on some 147's, she should be set.

For practice, before the match, you might want to try to Very Light loads

(PF110) with light bullets and just enough powder to work the slide. That

will get her used to the gun.

Then give her some of the 147's a week before her first match. :cheers:

If local matches have steel, she still needs to knock them down, so best to stay

at 128 or so.

If you can get your hands on some 147's, she should be set.

For practice, before the match, you might want to try to Very Light loads

(PF110) with light bullets and just enough powder to work the slide. That

will get her used to the gun.

Then give her some of the 147's a week before her first match. :cheers:

You forgot the 11lb recoil spring.. That gun won't run 110 pf unless you use an 11lb recoil spring..

I thought he said she was shooting a Glock 34 ?

Anyone on here think a Glock 34 can run 110 pf with a Stock Recoil spring ?? :yawn:

It's a Gen 4 Glock 34, I need to get a one piece guide rod so I can change recoil springs.

Like others have said, get some coated lead 147gr projectiles and put them over 2.9-3.0 grains of titegroup, or 2.8-2.9 grains of e3. That load gets me low 130's PF out of my XDM 5.25, should be similar in a G34. Those loads still shoot very soft and accurate. Lead or coated lead will always shoot softer than FMJ bullets as they seal the bore better and require less powder to get the same power factor. BTW, good for you getting your daughter into the shooting sports.

I just found a bunch of 125 grain cast lead bullets, it's a Glock so I know lead is something to be careful of, I will try some and order some plated bullets, I need some more .40 anyway.

Thanks for the help, I am trying to get her involved and make it enjoyable for her.

147 bayou with 3.7 of WSF ...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I run a very similar load in my stock Gen 4 Glock 17 and 19. 147 gr SNS Casting (coated) bullet, 3.6 gr WSF at 1.135 OAL. Extremely soft shooting and accurate. 3.4 gr WSF will cycle my Glocks reliably, but you may need to a little more powder to cycle a Glock 34. I use N320 as well, but the recoil is sharper with the same bullets. 3.2 gr N320 at 1.135 OAL pushing a 147 gr bullet.

I've worked up loads for 124/125 gr bullets, but they're snappier than 147 gr.

124 either Extreme or Acme with 2.8 grains of Titewad is the softest load I have tried. However, I am not sure how it will work with a G34, but it works extremely well with my Walther PPQ's, in both barrel lengths. Just had this past Sunday one of our range officers shot a few and he was absolutely stunned how soft this load is; he said this would be perfect for his girl. Very little recoil, not snappy at all. Will try it in my G34 in the next days.