Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island 1911s

Alaskan454

At a recent steel event I won a G.I. model from the shop's rental case that had been pretty well used but was in great working condition. Having heard mixed reviews about RIA I wasn't sure what to expect but I'm actually pretty impressed with this thing. After a basic field strip and cleaning I took 100 rounds from my reject pile that were either test rounds for powder charge, C.O.L. or had some bulge/defect and wouldn't chamber easily in my 625. They were cast 155gr SWCs, 200gr RNFP, and 230gr RN and I wasn't sure if some of them would even cycle the gun being light target loads. The 155gr SWC is an especially unforgiving design for reliable feeding and the 1911 fed, fired, and ejected everything I put in it. It had no trouble hitting 8 inch steel plates out to 30 yards and I was actually shooting it better than most of my semi-autos by the end of that 100 rounds at the 10 yard line...so I'd say I'm pretty impressed based upon its price tag. The only thing I didn't like was the G.I. style beavertail. Anyone else have a similar experience?

post-60454-0-30669100-1442420428_thumb.p

Bought my tactical RIA 9mm single stack on a whim a few months ago. It loves 147 grn over 3.4 grains WST. It had a hiccup or two in regards to magazines, but has been reliable otherwise. Great entry level option in my opinion. First priority should always be reliability, then looks. Plus, I don't care if I ding it on a prop.

RI Pistols can't be beat for the money. People get hung up so bad on the cast / forged frame that they are blinded by a quality pistol. Notice the STI blem post. It will run and run as well as any other. Great guns to build on. Same problem with folks thinking on MIM parts. You have good and bad parts everywhere. Corvette connecting rods are MIM parts and then cracked to make them separate. Rock Island is a good gun.

I have a few RAI 1911's in 9mm. One has a comp. and C-more, works pretty good. Liked the 1911's so much, I bought one of there double stacks. I didn't shoot that one much yet, so can't say how well it works . For the money you can't go wrong I don't think.

I picked up a RIA 9mm Tactical II a few months ago for a backup to my Trojan and just to play around with. Only have about 500 rounds through it so far, but it's run very well for the price so far. I had to file down the ejector since mags were hitting it and sticking on it, but otherwise no issues. The Tactical II model is a great value since it comes out of the box ready to go for Single Stack with a magwell, fiber optic front sight, ambi safety, and VZ grips for under $500.

I have 3 Rocks newest is a HC 40 Tac II all have ate anything and never had a problem till last week.. Starting having click no boom on my 1911 5" 9mm tip of firing pin broke no this is just a range gun never carried so wasnt big deal shot them a email and they sent me a new pin monday got it today

was a clean shear on the tip great customer service if you need it my 38 super has had thousands of rounds with only replacing the recoil spring

I bought a RIA 9mm tactical a while ago - maybe 4 years ago? After much filing and tweaking it is running as realiable as my Glocks and CZs I shoot for USPSA. Here are some the issues I worked through - The feed ramp angle isn't exactly right, and the chamber isn't throated. I shoot 124gr and 147gr plated bullets and reload them at the common OALs. There were some failure to feeds with the rounds getting caught on the top of the chamber. After using the fancy protractor and some fine grit sandpaper, I was able to slightly adjust the ramp angle and add some throating. That fixed all of the feed problems. After that I couldnt understand how I could barely maintain a 5" group at 25m from a rest. Lots of reasons why the accuracy is bad, but long story short, I put an EGW bushing and now it shoots 1.5" groups at 25m with the 147gr plated floating around 875fps.

It runs very very well now for a $425 pistol, but in retrospect, I would have just bought an STI.

This gun loves the Tripp Cobra 10 rounders, and hates the Wilsons. Those plus an adjustable rear from Springfield Armory and a Dawson front means a fun and competitive single stack USPSA gun, even if it is minor scoring.

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have a compact RIA, and it will more than hold its own. I used to have a five inch model but right after Sandy Hook when people were going crazy I was offered more than I paid for it so I let it go. The compact has about 3500 rounds down range with only one issue and that was mag related. Nice little shooter for when I am trail riding or working around the ranch.

It is not a pretty gun, until you start shooting it and then it looks a lot nicer.

I'm contemplating one of their double stacks in .40S&W. I got out of the .40 awhile back but could jump back in. At under $800 it looks like a great value as a Limited gun. The model I'm looking at has G10 grips, fiber front, adj rear and a magwell all factory installed. My only concern is mag reliability and finding extended basepads. Has a Series 70 firing system so it should take well to a good trigger job.

I have a RIA double stack in 9 that I bought for 3 gun after reading about it on here. Can't be more happy with it shoots straight and I can shoot it faster then I ever did my glock. Doesn't like some hollow points but I reload all round nose so I don't really care.

I've got a .45 Tac II DS and its awesome for the price. It had the best trigger out of every SA's, Colt, Kimber and STI, which were all compared side by side at a LGS. I was amazed how smooth and light the trigger was as compared to the others. Guess I got lucky? Its a tack driver. The only negative is the the internal bore feels really rough when pushing a patch through it but it certainly doesn't affect the accuracy.