Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun shooting

Shanevince

Hey guys I'm looking to get into open gun shooting. I shoot my 1911s at the range all the time so I'm well experienced but need some help in gun selection for race guns. I like the sti's. Any recommendations. Caliber is optional too. But I also do not reload hand loads myself just yet. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not ideal, but he could shoot open minor with factory ammo. The STI steel master is a 9 minor open gun that's made to run on factory Win white box. If you're looking to go major in 9, 38 super, or 38 super comp, you'll definitely need to reload first.

There's also always carry optics.

In that case I honestly believe you will go crazy trying to plink with an open gun. They are high maintenance and quite expensive for shooting milk jugs. Mags alone are 100-200 bucks apiece. And as mentioned, ammo will be a major issue.

Start shooting USPSA with the gear you have now.

Its easy and relatively cheap to start shooting in Single Stack division.

See if you like the sport when you're the participant.

Shooting Open isn't for every one. You may realize shooting with iron sights is more your cup of tea.

I'm not sure that running .38 super factory ammo would be all that satisfactory -

Very Expensive and don't believe it makes Major PF???

I would run a 9mm if I were going with factory ammo ... :cheers:

Atlanta Arms makes competition .38 super ammo I believe. It's not as cheap as reloading but it takes 5 minutes to order.

They also make .40 minor and used to make 9mm major. Wish they still had 9mm major!

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Atlanta Arms makes competition .38 super ammo I believe. It's not as cheap as reloading but it takes 5 minutes to order.

They also make .40 minor and used to make 9mm major. Wish they still had 9mm major!

I wish they would make a minor load at the price point or less than their select ammo major load. I'd gladly buy quantities of it to train with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm looking to get into open gun shooting. I shoot my 1911s at the range all the time so I'm well experienced but need some help in gun selection for race guns. I like the sti's. Any recommendations. Caliber is optional too. But I also do not reload hand loads myself just yet. Thanks in advance

Stick with 9mm. Brass is plentiful. And you'll want to start reloading.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Qyick question about shooting open, I picked up a glock 17l , I do not reload and wont be able to until I move in aug of 2016 if I run open minor would it be worth it to use a comp? I would be running stock ammo. Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Qyick question about shooting open, I picked up a glock 17l , I do not reload and wont be able to until I move in aug of 2016 if I run open minor would it be worth it to use a comp? I would be running stock ammo. Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If you're not going to reload don't bother with the comp.

Hey I've just been plinking but hope to shoot competitively uspsa some day. Thanks

Find a local mentor and go shoot in a match using what you have. There are a lot of skills to be learned in SS or production.