Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ for a range master at a local match?

levellinebrad

I shot a match today where the range master was taking his gun off and on between stages. He was not at either of the 2 safe areas, he would just pull up and gun up behind us as we were shooting and then he would take his gun off behind us when he was done shooting. I'm an RO but not staff at this particular range. Should this have been a DQ? Either way, I think it's very unprofessional and sets a bad example.

5.2.1 Carry and Storage – Except when within the boundaries of a safety area, or when under the supervision and direct command of a Range Officer, competitors must carry their handguns unloaded in a gun case, gun bag or in a holster securely attached to a belt on their person (see Rule 10.5.1). A competitor who, while not at a safety area or under RO supervision, removes their holster or their equipment belt with their handgun still in the holster, shall be considered to be in violation of Rule 5.2.1 and subject to disqualification from the match.

Who can DQ him. Any RO or do you have to be staff at that particular range or for that match? One of the RO's that was there went and asked him about it and he denied it at first then admitted to it and said "so what" and drove off in his cart.

If he were honorable, he would DQ himself.

Since that did not happen, any match RO that witnessed the action has the responsibility to act on it.

Do you know if he has any NROI certifications?

Too bad someone didn't record his actions for posterity.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Who can DQ him. Any RO or do you have to be staff at that particular range or for that match? One of the RO's that was there went and asked him about it and he denied it at first then admitted to it and said "so what" and drove off in his cart.

If he were honorable, he would DQ himself.

Do you know if he has any NROI certifications?

Too bad someone didn't record his actions for posterity.

Bill

I don't know what qualifications he has but I know that they are hosting a state match next month that I am working as staff. I hope he doesn't do it at that match. I hate having to dq anyone.

You really should pull him to the side and talk with him. Don't let it get that far that a DQ is in order.

Just curious, when you say gun up, do mean his pistol is in the holster and he just wraps his belt back on? Doesn't make a difference in the call but I know there are many who still think that is okay.

Sent from the range

You really should pull him to the side and talk with him. Don't let it get that far that a DQ is in order.

Just curious, when you say gun up, do mean his pistol is in the holster and he just wraps his belt back on? Doesn't make a difference in the call but I know there are many who still think that is okay.

Sent from the range

He actually pulled his gun from the holster on at least 2 occasions. The 2nd occasion, he swept quite a few people.

Sent from the range

He actually pulled his gun from the holster on at least 2 occasions. The 2nd occasion, he swept quite a few people.
His name needs to be forwarded to DNROI with the hopes of correcting his behavior.

I just can't believe this person is a certified USPSA range official

Sent from the range

His name needs to be forwarded to DNROI with the hopes of correcting his behavior.

I just can't believe this person is a certified USPSA range official

I will speak with the area director next weekend

He should have been DQ'd and ejected from the match. That's what would have happened to ANYONE else doing what he did.

Anyone who lets him get away with it with "just a talk" is complicit in this gross safety violation.

Who has the authority to dq him? From my understanding, I only have the authority to issue a DQ during a course of fire in which I am the RO. A DQ for this offense should come from a staff RO for this match, which I was not. This is the part that I don't completely understand. I definitely know that it is a dq per the rule book but I'm confused on who has the authority outside of a course of fire

When he is competing, he is a competitor NOT the RM. I would talk to the MD and ask him to assign an assistant RM to serve as RM when the regular RM is competing. Then take the matter to the ARM.

If it's a local match, my guess is he was the RM and the MD.

He should have been DQ'd and ejected from the match. That's what would have happened to ANYONE else doing what he did.

Anyone who lets him get away with it with "just a talk" is complicit in this gross safety violation.

Who has the authority to dq him? From my understanding, I only have the authority to issue a DQ during a course of fire in which I am the RO. A DQ for this offense should come from a staff RO for this match, which I was not. This is the part that I don't completely understand. I definitely know that it is a dq per the rule book but I'm confused on who has the authority outside of a course of fire

I, as a competitor nobody, would make him put his gun away and move along. I'm not going to tolerate someone fingerbanging his pistol behind me.

Devils advocate. ..

Want he actually inside the rules if he was acting under his own supervision? Can am RO act under their own supervision.

I won't tolerate sweeping. I think you can be safe outside the uspsa rules, but it sounds like this was more than breaking a technicality in the rules.

I would say the acting RO at the stage/bay at which he was gunning up.

Eric

Edited by eric4069

Want he actually inside the rules if he was acting under his own supervision? Can am RO act under their own supervision. No an RO can not supervise himself. Ever see an RO run himself through a COF? Of course not! When we finish the last stage of a local even, though most of us are senior CRO's we insist on an RO who was working the match have us bag our guns for tear down. The only thing I have seen even remotely close to an RO supervising himself is when an RM verifies steel is calibrated at the beginning of a match day. He clears the stage of personnel and SAFELY removes his gun and shoots the steel.

I won't tolerate sweeping. I think you can be safe outside the uspsa rules, but it sounds like this was more than breaking a technicality in the rules. This is actually so bad it sounds made up. Does not matter in the least how safe somebody is"outside" the rules because there is no such thing during a match.

Edited by Sarge

Want he actually inside the rules if he was acting under his own supervision? Can am RO act under their own supervision. No an RO can not supervise himself. Ever see an RO run himself through a COF? Of course not! When we finish the last stage of a local even, though most of us are senior CRO's we insist on an RO who was working the match have us bag our guns for tear down. The only thing I have seen even remotely close to an RO supervising himself is when an RM verifies steel is calibrated at the beginning of a match day. He clears the stage of personnel and SAFELY removes his gun and shoots the steel.

I won't tolerate sweeping. I think you can be safe outside the uspsa rules, but it sounds like this was more than breaking a technicality in the rules. This is actually so bad it sounds made up. Does not matter in the least how safe somebody is"outside" the rules because there is no such thing during a match.

I'm with Kevin. Although -- when I calibrate steel at the beginning of a match day, I always have a stage RO supervising me -- again it's partly about setting an example, and partly about ensuring that there are two sets of eyes clearing every gun.....

If there are a bunch of stages right next to each other, I might holster hot, and have another RO walk me to the next stage -- but pretty much they need to be close together and have a bunch of steel on each for me to consider that.....

I would say the acting RO at the stage/bay at which he was gunning up.

Eric

Any match RO within eyeshot has the authority AND responsibility to issue a DQ when the rules call for it.