Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why did you start reloading?

kneelingatlas

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I started reloading this year to make sure of availability. Plus, I didn't have money for bulk ammo purchases all the time. By reloading I can spread the cost out. It is easier to drop a couple hundred here and there vs. having 400-800 in one shot.

Just like everyone else.....

Reload to shoot more.....

Then there is the excuse of hey I have enough brass for a different caliber / gun....

Next stop LGS for the new toy.....

Then a new press for that caliber. ...

Never ending cycle....

woof

Started off as I thought I would be saving money but currently I turn out ammo made for my firearms and not firearms in general. You show me where I can get factory 300H&H ammo with a 130gr Monometal bullet that fits my rifles tight chamber and I might be interested if it is as accurate in my rifle as my own tailored load.

I shoot a CZ Duty in PD with a load that feels as if I am cheating. Factories cannot load ammo like that.

The Lee loader was my first loader for a deer rifle.

The first night I had it I was priming a case and popped the primer. That sent the rod to the ceiling in my friends house.

I actually started at 14 loading shot shells cause I thiought it was cool.

My Dad dabbled with casting bullets and handloading ammo. My brother and me were quite involved in the casting aspect but Dad didn't have a press and would go to a friends house to load. So I never actually saw or did any handloading myself back then. When Dad passed I got all of his stuff, his molds, priming tools, uniflow PM, sizer/lubber and steel dies for 30-06. He had a pile of lead and spent brass in 30-06 which I didn't take because I had no where to put it. Really wish I had it now.

I started IDPA about 4 years ago and used factory ammo, It wasn't too bad because I didn't shoot that many matches. Three years ago I got involved in a regular weekly pistol practice night that uses an indoor range in the winter. The fact that jacketed bullets are not allowed is the main reason I started handloading although I knew that it was always just a matter of time.

So handloads are all I shoot anymore as I'm sure is quite common around here.

• 2 weeks later...

I was born and raised in the soviet union.

In 2005 I got into it to "save money", who the f*#k am I kidding I wanted another hobby.

In 2007 my long lines and shortages comrade senses tingled so I bought f*#kton of components before the election started.

Initially, to make my Vz-24 Mauser shoot like a REAL 8x57mm Mauser, and not a .30-40 Krag (U.S. Factory Loads). After that, it was to stretch my ammo dollars when I starting shooting .45 ACP. Economy is still A factor, but not THE factor, since I sorta tune my ammo to my firearms. I definitely reload to shoot, though.

• 1 month later...

My kid duties ramped up considerably after starting to reload and having kid #2 and 3 shortly after. So my time spent shooting is down considerably. Plus, "my" 650 is actually on long term loan from a good friend. I keep it tuned, stored, and up to date for him in exchange for loading as many rounds as I want in my own basement.

So I actually think I have saved money on the reloading hobby. 80% or more of my investment is in stock piled components, and my only tooling outlays are dies, caliber conversion kits, and the odd tool/scale/case gage

Edited by b1gcountry