Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why did you start reloading?

kneelingatlas

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To fine tune loads for accuracy. The savings is only if you can't get a finely tuned load for your gun alone. I shoot NRA Action Pistol and accuracy is the name of the game. If an Open gun won't do under 1" at 50 yards, it's pretty much a paper weight in that game. I could make a load that would easily do that, and besides, I shoot that "bastard caliber" 9X23 which in factory loads only comes in a ballistic equivalent of a .357 Magnum! Not needed for NRA AP with a power floor of 120.

Alan~^~

My first gun was in a caliber that was not stocked anywhere - .30M1 Carbine

So, a mail order purchase of a Lee Loader later & some FMJ bullets, primers & a tin of Nobel powder from the gunshop....and a Thor hammer from the DIY store & I was on the way.

Lost the carbine in the ban, still got the loader

Now have several British & American made presses for rifle & pistol. ..and a collection of shotshell presses going back to the '60s, as added slug loading to the list of more clutter & boxes of supplies...

DO save money as some of what I load is unobtainable or far from affordable

Another 'guns and ammo panic' started just after I started shooting in competitions.

I'm one of those guys where the first choice for almost everything is to do it myself, e.g. have owned > 100 vehicles but only ever paid someone to work on one twice, same w/house projects etc., so why not on ammo? ;)

I do not want my sport and hobby to be impacted by the gov't and political climate changing with the wind, so probably like many of you, I started with a components '1 year plan,' then 3 year plan, now ~5 year plan, at which point "I'm good" until the next year. :)

1. I started so I could get 2-3x as many rounds for the same cost of factory ammo in 45 ACP and 9mm.

2. Then it turned into way more savings for 44 mag, 45 Colt, and 454 Casull when I got into single actions. Now with a 480 on the way this couldn't be more relevant.

3. I soon realized my handloads could be more accurate than factory loads while still being at least 2-3x cheaper. I got very serious about action pistol shooting and actually developing loads for each specific gun. This is the point where my .22s became safe queens and I was shooting hundreds of rounds per week of any caliber I wanted since they are all about the same price. Thank god for cast bullet pricing!

4. Now we're at the present, I buy everything in bulk to maximize savings and shoot as much as I can per dollar for high volume calibers. My last 1k 45s cost me about $110 and the 9/38s can be a bit cheaper. I haven't saved a dime in this process, but I'm a much better shooter and like reloading almost as much as shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

to abuse a quote from another forum...

I Got into reloading for the groupies, I stayed in reloading for the huge financial rewards...

I wanted to save on ammo, and after looking it over some...

I knew I'd mostly have access to good ammo for a lower price.

and that I would mostly shoot the savings.

miranda

Same cost cutting, using bullets of my choice , Except now I just shoot 10x's more, so cost cutting, not so much sore hands yes more so. Lol, Hey nobody's going to live forever most lead down range wins, Right?

• 2 weeks later...

Bought an 8MM Mauser in 1967 for $15 but 8MM ammo in MS was hard to come by. Bought everything needed to reload for it from Herter's. Saved a ton of $. More guns and stuff followed.

Started shooting USPSA in 1992. Promptly got a Dillon 550 and have spent 10 tons of $ since on more stuff. You can't have too much stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've had a chance to get my reloading process down pretty good and try different loads with various components, I'm appreciating the ability to control the power factor and make the gun shoot a lot sweeter. Before, I could only think about it. Now, I can do it.

Unlike a lot of you young whipper snappers, I started loading with my dad, when I was around 7. When I got old enough to buy my first pistol (21), I never even gave a second thought to buying ammo, and bought a press to make my own, because to me, it was just part of the shooting process. That's not to say I never buy store bought, as I do very rarely. So I can't say I started to save money, and no one who reloads typically does save money, they just shoot more. Oh, and here's a teaser: The year I started reloading, the Milwaukee Braves won the World Series against the New York Yankees in 7 games. Although the two teams met 4 times in World Series play, the Yankees were victors except this year.

I wanted to give up my heroin habit and substitute something that was less expensive, less addictive and less time consuming.

I failed.

I am now in control of my ammo supply, and I am well supplied. The new 'dealers' are the component manufacturers.