Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want a new .45 1911 for SS, which one?

hops

I currently have 2 S&W 1911s in .45 that I use for practice and matches in USPSA SS. They are basically stock except for fiber sights, different springs, grips, and a nicer magwell. I am thinking that i want to upgrade to another .45 that may serve me a bit better. I am thinking about getting two of them, one for practice and as a back-up and the other for shooting matches. Something under 2.5k a piece would be nice, but I might also do a single custom gun instead.

I am quite comfortable customizing a stock gun, so getting a good factory pistol that just needs some polishing/modifying etc is not a problem.

I am looking for some recommendations. I would really like to hear from people that shoot the gun the are recommending, and why it is a great gun. The "why" is kind of important to me.

I do like shooting .45. There is something very enjoyable about the big, clean holes a 200gr SWC leaves in a target. So unless there is some compelling reason to switch to a .40 that you can convince me of (which is possible) I would like to keep the discussion on .45.

thanks.

ps:I did use the search feature, and after a lot of reading did not find exactly what I was looking for.

I only have one "factory" 1911. It is a Sig 1911 (non traditional) from the custom shop. Four years and 40,000+ rounds later, it is still all original.

With your budget, I'd look at Dan Wesson or possibly Les Baer. Dr. Nick at Mountain Competition Pistols makes some very, very well built pistols. I'd look there first, then go to Wesson if you didn't find what you liked.

STI Trojan. Super reliable, great reputation, great customer service, great price and not one malfunction with mine in 14,000 rounds.

I like that push recoil the .45 has better than the snap of a .40 too.

Advanced Weapons Technologies, Don Fraley builds a extremely accurate and reliable SS. Just ask Gary Stevens, Gary was instrumental in getting SS back, as well as being a National Champion SS Shooter himself.

Tell Don, Tommy Roupe told you to call, you will not be disappointed.

Ok, ordered a Sig Max 1911. It came highly recommended by a shooter that obviously knows how to shoot one.

I will drop back in and update this as soon as I can get a few thousand rounds through it.

Thanks.

What did the person say that swayed you to the Max model? I'm looking for something to play in single stack as well. I had been pricing out a SA range officer but the Max may come out ahead. Most everything I would want to add appears to already be added to a base model for competition. My big question would be how the trigger feels which may be hard to test given the likely high demand for this model.

What did the person say that swayed you to the Max model? I'm looking for something to play in single stack as well. I had been pricing out a SA range officer but the Max may come out ahead. Most everything I would want to add appears to already be added to a base model for competition. My big question would be how the trigger feels which may be hard to test given the likely high demand for this model.

I copied and pasted from a handful of messages, but he said,

"The gun is fit very well, has all the right parts already installed to compete with, and just works. It's equipped with EGW sear and disconnector, Koenig hammer, medium flat trigger, Dawson F/O front sight, adjustable bomar style rear sight, Dawson ICE magwell, and ambi thumb safety. Only thing I added to mine was a full length guide rod (personal preference only), and an Ed Brown extended mag release (again personal preference). You'd have a hard time being disappointed I believe. No issues with mag tuning. I'm running a 45 so the gun just runs. I use Wilson ETM mags. I do use the Dawson no gap insert on the ICE magwell, so I use the Dawson no gap mag base pads as well. It's an awesome setup. "

I will also use the full length guide rod and extended mag release. Not switching to no gap magwell because i already have a stack of mags that work in the regular (gap) ICE magwells. I have never had an issue with those mags/magwell, so why change? I also spoke with another friend that has one of these Max 1911s. He is a 1911 guy. He says it is a great SS gun and I will love it. Cant wait for it to arrive.

Have a Sig Max now for over a year and used it for matches, put on a wider front sight found too much opening on sides not right for me. No failures and gun runs better then me. Only down side due to the wider slide ALOT of holsters not compatible without modification to it.

For the price you cannot go wrong and IF you want to do more work to it it's price saved you 800. To use.

Thanks for the feedback hops. I like the idea of a "game ready" gun that gives me budget room to acquire all the other items needed to compete in SS. Since I'm just starting out, it sounds like the only drawback (holster) wont be too much of an issue since I can just order something that will fit straight away. Would love to know how accuracy goes with these. Off to search for the unicorn to feel in person to feel it.

Highly recommend Dan Wesson. I've got two and they run great. Contact keith@cz-usa.com and he can give you options on a semi custom build in your price range. I've been very impressed with their duty black finish. Lots of mag reloads and barely any significant marks on the magwell.

Not one who can make one big hole, but can say the Max has always hit where I aim. For the most part when you spend $800 or more the gun will be more then accurate,the days of needing to redo 1911s to just make them shoot at a target and hit it are long gone,too many companies out there now.

Not one who can make one big hole, but can say the Max has always hit where I aim. For the most part when you spend $800 or more the gun will be more then accurate,the days of needing to redo 1911s to just make them shoot at a target and hit it are long gone,too many companies out there now.

Thats why I shoot the 200gr SWC from Ibejiheads. They leave a big, round hole on the target.

I went and handled one yesterday, the gun feels really nice. The front sights were good too. I like the front a bit narrower to let in lots of light, it helps me find the target/aimpoint faster. but personal preference... The slide felt good and seemed very tight. The trigger was nice. It seems to be a great gun. Cant wait for mine to arrive so I can shoot it.

The only negatives I found, and its a personal thing, was the ambi safety was quite small. I like a larger one because I rest my thumb on it. It gives me a solid feel and better grip, plus I can't accidentally knock the safety on like I could if I did not ride it with my thumb. I also found the mag release to be too small for me too. Will have to look into options for a replacement. Which is good, cause I do like to tinker with things.

I am also looking and leaning heavily towards a Les Baer. They are available, reasonably priced and on the California approved list. Only remaining question is fixed sight or adjustable...the Custom Carry and Premier II look to be essentially the same pistol, with fixed sights and rounded/eased edges on the Carry version.

Tom

I have a custom 9mm 1911 built on a Fusion frame & slide, a used (to me) 40 cal Kimber Stainelss Classic (pre Series II) that had been rebarreled, and a mostly stock 45ACP Taurus.

I have a lot more pride of ownership in the custom 9mm, not so much because it looks better (which does) or cost more (>$2k) but because I shaped and controlled how it was built, i.e., I had a hand in its creation. Is it any more accurate than the others, a bit but the others are more than good enough for USPSA. Does it shoot faster, not really. Is it more reliable, well they've all had minor issues. I think of all of them as good guns (even the Taurus) but each was selected under differnt conditions for different reasons.

You stated you want a gun to "server you better" but its not clear what that means. More accuracy? Better reliability? Better looking? Not know anything else, I suspect a custom / semi-custom gun that is focused to scratch your itch is the way to go. It sounds like you already have a gun or guns that could serve as backup if need so I'd focus on the "The One".

As to 45ACP vs 40cal debate I got the 40cal 1911 because it allows me to have common ammo and reloading supplies (I also shoot Limited) if I want it and with 9 rnd mags I don't have to Barny up. Some minor cost savings as well but really no compling reason to switch if you're set up for 45 ACP and don't shoot Limited with a 40 cal gun.

Rob, I don't shoot limited with .40. I have shot L10, but with my.45 and 10 round mags. Will probably stay with .45 for a while. I am all set up for it, I like the feel of the gun with my current loads, and for some reason I just like that caliber.

To serve me better, I mean a better gun. My 2 S&w1911s are more than accurate enough. I shoot on a 10x12 inch steel plate at 50 yards and can hit it without problems. Usually one shot from a draw in 1.40 seconds consistently. They both shoot fast but have a lot of rounds through them. I picked them up used from a friend and got the matching one from his brother. I have had more than a few feed issues and a few jams. I have worked out most of those problems so a failure is now quite rare. The slides have a bit of slop, not extreme, but noticeable. Although it does not seem to effecting the accuracy or operation.

I think I just want a new gun. Something tight and sexy. Accurate and fast. No, I probably do not NEED a new gun, but I want one. My shooting is improving. I do not know if I am beyond the level of my two guns, probably not, but why not get something new that continues to keep me motivated. Is there anything better than the feel of a really nice new gun?

I am also looking and leaning heavily towards a Les Baer. They are available, reasonably priced and on the California approved list. Only remaining question is fixed sight or adjustable...the Custom Carry and Premier II look to be essentially the same pistol, with fixed sights and rounded/eased edges on the Carry version.

Tom

Best of both worlds. This is an STI version but I believe Kensight make them for a number of companies.

post-55266-0-55011300-1439428322_thumb.p

I also found the mag release to be too small for me too. Will have to look into options for a replacement. Which is good, cause I do like to tinker with things.

The Wilson Oversized Magazine release Stainless is my favorite. $39.00 at Shooters Conection and that's the whole thing, not just a button. May have to do some slight fitting. Here's one on my Trojan. Doesn't get in the way shooting weak hand either.

post-44117-0-25179400-1439429929_thumb.j

Edited by BASE772