Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mexican Food

Merlin Orr

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tex-Mex!! I don't think so. :P

Tucson, AZ is where it's at. Cafe Poca Cosa (Chef's special); Mi Nidito (cheese enchiladas and margs); El Minuto Cafe (machaca); LL Guillermo (anything is good); and El Charro (carne seca mmmmmmm).

Santa Fe runs a close second but their best Mex place (Old Mexico Grill with it's chipolte/honey ribs) closed down. :(

Tex-Mex!!  I don't think so.   :P

Thank you!

Tucson, AZ is where it's at.  Cafe Poca Cosa (Chef's special)

Now that's a great spot! But just try and go there when they're open. :(

Probably been closed the last 10 times I've been to Tucson. They're new location looks promising... but the last time I was in Tucson was a Monday morning and I was all excited because they're supposed to be open. But guess what - closed. :angry:

Sonora, Guadalahara, or Yucatan, and not in the tuorist places, thats just dog food! Albaquerque N.M in't bad either KURTM

Literally. There's literally a meatwagon that makes the circuit in GDL and more than once a skinless horsehead in a milk crate has been spotted leaving it and going into a tourist restaurant.

As soon as I ditched my gringo co-workers and started hanging out and eating with the locals, the food got 10X better and I stopped getting sick.

(Never, ever eat at Nachos and Charlies)

• 3 weeks later...

I have an assignment in Austin and have been here for 10 days now. Wish I could change my vote from Corpus Christi..... Had breakfast in 10 different places and lunch in 7. Mom & Pop hole in the wall places rule! :wub:

Did I say I love Tex Mex?

Being from Texas I am partial to Tex-Mex but I really like the New Mexico food. The green chilies are what I think makes it good and different. Any hole in the wall place in Texas is usually the best over chain places. TXAG

• 1 year later...

As one who lives 1/2 mile from the Rio Grande and 15 minutes from a US Mexico crossing, I must say the best mexican food is in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. And as it has been said the best food is from the little mom and pop whole in the wall joints. Any place where mom is in the kitchen, dad is on the register and the kids wait tables has my votes hands down. Trust me... I know food. LOL

Los Mariachi's in Mesilla New Mexico...Andele's isn't bad either...

and some place up in Hatch, NM

Every where else i've been, it's been too watered down..

Oh, and Negro Modelo for the beer. :D

• 9 months later...
Actually the "real" Los Dos is in Springerville. (I bet you knew that but I felt I needed to let you know I did.) ;) Anyway, when I was going to the Los Dos's regularly, although I did prefer the ambiance of the South Mountain location, I liked the food at the Mesa Location better. But that was back when Victoria was doing all the cooking, and me and my buddies had our picture on the wall. (That dates the Mesa location.) Two - three years ago, however, the Mesa location closed down, it looked like for good. But then after maybe 6 months or so, it reopened, and the only remaining familiar face was the (older) guy who always walked around saying things like "how ya doin'?"... making sure you were good on Margaritas and such. I heard that although the original owners were gone, he had somehow managed to reopen it. And although the food is still good, it's never been as good as it was in the mid to late 90's. And it defiinitely lost the "fire" it was know for.

The Rosa's in Mesa I'm familiar with (can't ever remember where it is, somewhere University/downtown area) has great food, but not in that good ol "what-we've-come-to-know-as-authentic" way. The food is really good, but a little too clean/good.

A place I've recently discovered, again in Scottsdale, that I'm guessing is more like real Mexican fare judging by the clientele/atmosphere, is Taco Jalisco (or something close to that), a just little west of Scottsdale road on the north side of Thomas. Lots of seafood, good (whole) beans and tortillas, "street tacos," and great homemade salsas.

be

Okay. I have finally eaten at the "REAL" Los Dos in Springerville. Yum. I almost blew past it on the way to Albuquerque for the sectional. I am very glad I stopped. The food was great, the atmosphere was in the same league as the South Mountain location and to top it all off I fed four people for under $20. What more could you want?

-ld

For a moment I was getting jealous of some in this thread as I love Tex-Mex and all I can find around here is lousy chain food. Then I got over it as I thought about you poor souls who don't have access to real pizza. :P

Being from the Texas Gulf Coast, i grew up on Tex-Mex and fried shrimp

The original Ninfa's in Houston when Mama still ran the place

For a chain, Chuy's aint bad

There is a small place in Bryan, Papa Perez, that is pretty good.