Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mexican Food

Merlin Orr

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruskin,Florida.... half the population of Mexico resides there. Anything with the word "pollo" in it is going to be FRESH. They actually run them down outside on the lot, and bring them in to prepare when you order..no joke. :ph34r:

• 3 years later...

I have to agree with the Mom & Pop taquerias that can be found throughout the SW. Of course the Taco Wagons can be pretty good too. It has been interesting to watch the change in "Authentic" Mexican food as people move around.

Back in the S TX Valley area for the last couple of years. Try to hit a different mom and pop place every day for lunch...

I ask every client and contractor I see (about 90% Hispanic) where is a good little place to do lunch and, overall, I will still stick with S TX as "at least" as good as it gets. cheers.gif

Being from the Texas Gulf Coast, i grew up on Tex-Mex and fried shrimp

The original Ninfa's in Houston when Mama still ran the place

For a chain, Chuy's aint bad

There is a small place in Bryan, Papa Perez, that is pretty good.

I think Chuy's is probably the only "authentic" mexican I've ever had, if it can be called that. Ate some in Austin when I drove out to deliver a transmission to a guy. Anyway, authentic or not, I'm going to go out of my way to go there if I'm ever back that way. :roflol:

I have to say that I love alot of the Mexican food you can get in and around Los Angeles. Even here in the Coachella Valley, we have plenty of good Mexican food, from Taquerias, to fine dining, or the ever present Mariscos. I could eat at a decent place every day for a month locally, but I could eat at a dozen really good places too.

Then there is homemade. I love to make everyting I can. My kids like cilantro-lime chicken grilled on hot fresh corn tortillas, with homemade salsa or pico de gallo any time of day. We even have breakfast tacos with fresh beans, eggs, salsa, and a little cheese. Sometimes with papas, and ham too! Not to mention that I will try anything mexican to cook until I get it right, and they love it.

My favorites locally are Las Casuelas Cafe, and Rincon Norteno. Good food all the way around, or brunch at Las Casuelas Nuevas on Sunday. It may be a buffet, but it is STILL really good.

JZ

Los Sombreros in Scottsdale, AZ is awesome. My new favorite place near home is Pepe's & Mito's Mexican Cafe.

Beer? Negra Modelo, but I'd prefer tequila. Margarita please!

Los Sombreros is good stuff. For sort of a non-Scottsdale mexican restaurant, have you tried Frank and Lupe's.

be

So, getting Mexican food in Mexico doesn't count?

:huh::blink:

Back in the day - my buddy and I were sitting in a little outdoor restaurant outside of Veracruz drinking Tecate(s)and the lady kept bring us these bowls of this wonderful spicy fish soup, (complete with tails sticking out of the bowl) and fresh tortillas. After about an hour of this she asked us if we wanted chicken. Next thing we know she's chasing a yard bird around the tables with a big knife and about another hour later comes back with this incredible roasted chicken dish. I love Mexico...