Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mexican Food

Merlin Orr

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fish Tacos at any street stand in San Felipe, Baja

Carne Asada at a no-name place in Douglas, AZ (not sure if it is there anymore)

Green Corn Tamales, or pretty much anything on the menu at Rosa’s in Tucson, AZ

Grilled Spiny Lobster with salsa fresca and lotsa‘ tequila (in me) at the Trailer Park restaurant in Cabo San Lucas

The Mexican food I have had in New Mexico was nothing really special. I have also not been greatly impressed by any Mexican food I have had in Texas yet, but have to admit that I have spent lot’s more time huntin’ & wolfin’ Q in TX than anything else (so far).

BTW, Pacifico, or Tecate for me.

--

Regards,

It doesn’t count when it’s as cheap and good as it is in Mexico ;)

I had some room service enchiladas at the Finistera in Cabo San Lucas that were some of the best I have ever had, anywhere.

--

Regards,

I think when most people in the US are talking 'Mexican Food', they're really talkign Tex-Mex. Mexican resturants north of the border, bear little resemblence to Mexican food in Mexico. I normally go to seaside cities (Cancun, Cozumel, Playa Del Camrne, Los Cabos).. Mexican food there is really almost all seafood and chicken.

The few times I've been to Dallas, the Tex-Max food there has been great!

The best tacos I ever used to get, sadly, was a place in Modesto that's since closed :(

Please don't take away my Texas DL, but I gotta' say San Diego has some kick a$$ Mexican food. Casa De Bandini in Old Town, Roberto's #11 (restaurant number 11 not menu item 11), and don't forget Rubio's for Fish Tacos. Damn those tacos are good! The place to go for Margarita's? Without a doubt, Casa De Pico...the size of a swimming pool and mixed with just a little blush wine - makes it smooth and just a tad sweeter.

The ultimate has to be in Rosarita Beach south of the border off the toll road...A place called pappas & beer. It's a local dish served in Baja but they do it right there. Puerto Neuvo lobster....mmmmmm.....For $27.00 you get three good sized california lobsters (no claws), all the beans, rice, and tortillas you can eat plus two beers. The way they make the lobster is to quickly blanch it, cleave it in half lengthwise, and cook it meat side down, shell side up in a giant iron skillet with butter and mexican spices so it steams in the shell. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Modelo Negro is my choice for beer to go with mexican food. Dos Equis will do in a pinch. Tecata only if there is a mountain of limes and salt near by.

Tell you what. If I ever meet up with any of you guys out West I'll be happy to give Mexican food a try. Here in Kentucky Mexican means Taco Hell and I've learned not to trust people who can not fry their beans right the first time.

Dale, don't give the wrong impression, we have a lot of Mexican here in Central Kentucky, but it is the authentic and cheap stuff. Those will never be as popular as Tex-Mex places here, but they are better than the Bell. As for beer, even if you do not like it otherwise, you have to admit that Corona goes well with cheap Mexican, and that is the only time I will drink it, unless it is free of course.

Tell you what. If I ever meet up with any of you guys out West I'll be happy to give Mexican food a try. Here in Kentucky Mexican means Taco Hell and I've learned not to trust people who can not fry their beans right the first time.

Dale

Last time I was in Louisville I had some pretty tasty Mexican food at a place right W of 264 - Maybe SR 1447 or 42?

Please don't take away my Texas DL, but I gotta' say San Diego has some kick a$$ Mexican food. Casa De Bandini in Old Town, Roberto's #11 (restaurant number 11 not menu item 11), and don't forget Rubio's for Fish Tacos. Damn those tacos are good! The place to go for Margarita's? Without a doubt, Casa De Pico...the size of a swimming pool and mixed with just a little blush wine - makes it smooth and just a tad sweeter.

Thats' funny... we always go to these 2 Case De xxxx, whenever we're down in San Diego, since there's familly there. But I still voted for Dallas, probably because ld Town is just a tad touristy (ok, not a tad, way over the top).

The bathtub Margarita's are friggin huge...

Its all what you want.

If you want that nasty cheese and bean covered Tex-Mex stuff? Anywhere East and North of Midland will get you that verson.

If you want very tasty with a Spanish and Indian flare Santa Fe is your bet. I happen to love blue corn at The Shed.

Fish, Chicken and basic dishes are all over interior and coastal Mexico, although "real" Mexican food seems bland and lacking green chili for my palete.

IMHO after searching all over the US for years, the green chili growing region of the Mesilla Valley, Las Cruces to Hatch New Mexico has the best food anywhere. Little cheep local dives like Chopies in Anthony and Roberto's in Las Cruces are tops in by book. :wub:

I'm no expert --- but the best mexican food I ever had was about ten years ago in Sonoma. Carol took two bites and couldn't eat anymore because her throat was on fire --- I didn't think it was that hot, until about halfway through the Arroz con Pollo and the tacos, the heat just seared up from my stomach and fried my throat.......

The Nicaraguans down the street do a pretty good plate.....

Devil Shrimp over rice that is A+

There is a place called La Pinata in Indio, CA that serves a Shrimp Diabla that is not only as hot as all Hades, but really tasty too, which is very important. Heat without taste is boring.

Good point about a Tex Mex cheese platter and traditional Mexican food being entirely different things.

Give me a pound of good carnitas, a half dozen pickled jalapenos, some tortillas and a couple of Pacifico‘s and I am a very happy camper anywhere.

--

Regards,

The best Mex food I've ever had Stateside is at a seafood place in Chula Vista, CA - can't remember the name but they serve Devil Shrimp over rice that is A+.

Aha! San Diego County... I rest my case...

Tex mex sux. Would rather eat Taco Bell! Real mexican food can be found all over California. You just have to be brave and look for the seedy looking little restaurants run by a family. Any one of these that I have tried has been mucho gusto!

Pacifico is my mexican beer of choice!

I haven't been to many Mexican places in Texas outside of the Austin area. But... I'm not a fan of TexMex, personally. I can eat it, but... I prefer interior Mexican. I don't like CalMex, either. Fonda San Miguel has good stuff, here, but it's way pricey. Best Mexican I've ever had, hands down, is at the Nuevo Laredo Cantina, in Atlanta, GA. The owner (a short, white, Southern guy) visits Mexico a bunch, and wanted a *real* Mexican restraunt. So, he imported the Mexicans, and set up an authentic place - great tamales, mole, Chicken Diablo, etc, etc....

Best Mexican I've ever had, hands down, is at the Nuevo Laredo Cantina, in Atlanta, GA.

Hmmm....I wonder if it's close enough to Covington, GA for a visit during Area 6? I'm willing to try the mainland mexican food, just to get another perspective of course. It's not just another excuse to drink more beer. ;)

I've ate Mexican (or Tex-Mex) all over the country. The best I've ever encountered is right here in Little Rock, a restaurant called El Porton. Every time I go there, I have to crawl, or roll out. The entire staff is Mexican, they are all related I believe, and English is their second language. And the food is freakin INCREDIBLE. Best flan I've ever had.... I've got a buddy here at work and we usually eat there every 2 weeks or so.

A close 2nd is right up the road in Conway, AR. El Acapulco also serves amazing Mexican food.

Hmmm....I wonder if it's close enough to Covington, GA for a visit during Area 6?  I'm willing to try the mainland mexican food, just to get another perspective of course.  It's not just another excuse to drink more beer.  ;)

It's on the north-west side of downtown - I forget the address, now. From the South River range, it's probably a 45 minute drive, give or take. Be prepared for a wait - it's a popular place, and not real big. However, as I recall, they have fantastic margarita's while you wait, and their salsa used to be outstanding - get some chips and salsa and wait outside (if it's nice out). One of the very few places I'm willing to wait an hour for a table, for whatever that's worth.... :)

Tex mex sux. Would rather eat Taco Bell! Real mexican food can be found all over California. You just have to be brave and look for the seedy looking little restaurants run by a family. Any one of these that I have tried has been mucho gusto!

Pacifico is my mexican beer of choice!

State pride set aside... :P I have worked for extended periods of time in 44 of the 50 states. As Mexican food is my all time favorite I always try out the local flavor. I really think Kath has a valid point about the individually operated "cafe" being the best places to get the good food. Anywhere you find a Hispanic population you will find good places to eat. I stands to reason (to me) that states with large Hispanic populations like all the border states to the South and West will have lots of good Mexican food. Whether it is called TexMex or whatever. IMHO

As far as TexMex sucking... What is called TexMex in other areas may or may not have any resemblance to what I/We consider to be TexMe

My poll choices were tongue and cheek with all the Texas locations and no others..... ;)

In the Phoeniz metro area, probably my favorite is still Los Dos Molinos. But a close second, lately, is Frank and Lupes in Scottsdale. An amazingly "real" place, considering the location.

Try the #5 "Lupes"/chicken/red. Flat enchiladas topped w/egg, beans, rice, sopapillias.

:rolleyes: