Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squading advice?

I am still relatively new to USPSA and very new to the forums. I apologize if this is somewhere already on here.

I'm looking for advice for squading, I'm looking to see if people tend to squad with (open, limited, prod ect.) or (M,A,B,C ect.). I am shooting limited and am still U. I came in 3rd my last local match for limited, looking to get better and learn from those who know more than I do.

Edited by Firefight5243

As you get experience shooting at your local club(s), you'll find a few

shooters you will enjoy shooting with ... Some may be better than

you and some may not, some may be in Ltd and some may be

Production or Open ...

Try to sign up with the people you enjoy spending the day with.

You might get lucky and find someone who wants to practice

the same day(s) you practice - maybe you can practice together. :cheers:

If a friend is shooting the match too, I like to squad with them. Its always good to know someone before you get there, helps take any edge off, etc. I also like to try to squad with a couple people in my division if I can. I don't like being the only shooter in my division as there is no one to bounce ideas off of with similar plans. In the same manner, I try to find someone I know to be a high quality shooter to squad with if I can. If you want to learn how to be better in this sport (or any sport for that matter) you have to train/shoot with people who are better than you. I've learned things from people who are a lower class than me obviously, but I learn more watching and talking with shooters who are going to compete for a division win.

If you had to pick better but in a different division or same level in same division?

Same division is more important. Same division will mean they are attempting to plan reloads in the same types of locations. They can be a slower shooter than you and still be better at planning stuff like that.

Edited by MAC702

I try to first squad with the best shooters I can in the division I'm shooting in... If you were third. try to squad with the guy that was first or second.. or both. if there aren't top shooters in that division then you might have to hang with open shooters, you may or may not be able to beat them depending on their skill level.

I squad with people I recognize as non-slackers. People willing to tape/brass, people who can run the scores, that kind of thing. I find that the things I need to work on generally "follow" my level. If I squadded with a production GM, that person is probably tailoring his plans to his skills in ways that I am not able to do. Production A, though, I can kibbutz with.

Being in the military I move every three years or so. I try to stick with people I enjoy shooting with but its always inevitable that I have to start shooting in an area where I don't know a lot of people. I try to stay in my division and look for those that are better than I am. Sometimes I get lucky and have a squad made up of mostly production shooters like myself. My goal when I choose a squad is to pick a group of people I will enjoy shooting with and to hopefully have someone to bounce ideas off of. Enjoy being at the match and you will always shoot better.

I have tried both..... I shot with a guy that was U in open, but what an awesome shot and great to talk to. We talked a lot but you see the stage much differently planning reloaded ect. When you can unload a hail of bullets without a reload it changes things. I have also shot with a M in production ( tied to talk to him for advice , but he clearly to into the zone to chat), but I can respect the zone.

Luckily I have never had a slacker squad and everyone seems to pitch in, personally I like keeping score. Gives me a chance to see the targets that people are struggling with and try to plan more.

Thank for all of the comments.

I think it's always beneficial to squad with people better than you are, especially if they shoot the same division. However, even if they're not in your division you can still learn a ton.

For a couple of years, my son-in-law and I tried to squad with the same people. But, starting last year we try to squad with new people / strangers.

Now I am more relaxed and comfortable, around all competitors. I meet new, and nice, people. Plus, I no longer tense up with spectators. It has made an improvement in my performance too!

As somebody else who's exceptionally new to the sport I just squad with whatever is open so I can meet the community and get a feel for who I can be around for a day. So far so good. I do squad with friends when they come with me though.

I think it depends on your personality. I enjoy shooting with people I know and know their personalities, tendencies, etc. But after some years of competing in different disciplines, it's fun to shoot with and meet new people. There will always be people on your squad better than you. Learn from them. Mostly, have fun!!

I can say, most top shooters aren't slackers or they wouldn't get to the top, there are the exceptions though.. and some get folks talking to them asking tons of questions so it makes it hard.

That's not the direction I was going for at all -- I meant that I look first to squads who can keep things moving, not necessarily toward experience. Of course most of the skilled shooters I know also work hard, especially at club matches. Haven't encountered anyone with "diva syndrome" quite yet.

As a beginner it is important to squad with as many different divisions as possible. Watching a Single Stack shooter blow everyone away because they had the most efficient plan teaches you how to look past a plan with the most targets available with a single mag mindset. Many Open and Limited shooters will stand in one spot and engage a lot of targets before moving to a new spot to engage a bunch more. The SS and Prod shooter will take targets on the move as they reload between arrays. It is important to learn how to shoot on the move as you move through the stage efficiently.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoit with a group of guys that I chat with most are better shooters. If i didnt know anyone I would shoot with people that are on the rop of the list. In my experience (whole year) everyone has been real easy to talk to and learn from.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

find out who the top shooters in the division you shoot at your local club are & squad with them. don't try to emulate them but ask a lot of questions (if they don't mine) and look at the match as an opportunity to get free match related training advice. Leave them alone when they are 2-3 from being their turn to shoot as they will be mentally getting ready for the stage but when they are pasting or moving between stages are usually good times.