Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing basepads from the 4th Gen Mags

diehli

Mmmkay... the basepads on the newest generation Glock mags are a bear to get off. I actually tweaked my wrist trying.

So, what's the secret. I stick a punch into the hole at the front, hold the mag upright in my left hand and try to pull the two apart. Overcoming the little latch-type things on the side of the tubes that locks into the sides of the basepads seems to be the hard part.

Next step is to stick the bastards on the bench and whale on 'em with a sledgehammer.

Help me... please? :wacko:

Mr. Gorilla,

I use a small screwdriver (1/8" flat blade) in the same manner as your punch, to push in the spring plate. Once the plate is pushed in, slide the driver tip to the front side of the nipple, and use it (the spring plate) to pry against, while pushing the pad off. You should have the spring plate pushed in about 3/8th. of an inch. Find me the next time we are at Norco, and I will show you if you don't get it figured out.

No joy on the CGR method, Flexlove. These things are f@cking beasts.

I'll have to try your method, Beven, though I'm not sure the screwdriver will survive with these new mags. I'll show you the 1/8-inch steel punch I bent getting the one apart that I got apart. I used a nail-set on another one, but ganked my wrist I was pulling so fracking hard. Then I used a screwdriver to pry the f@cker off of a third one (the basepad is now useless).

I've got 10 more mags that I'm gonna need to (eventually) take apart. When I get the basepads off, the notches for the little "ears" are torn up a bit. Clean 'em up with an X-Acto knife and put things back together and getting 'em apart after that is easy as sticking the punch in and prying a bit. It's that initial getting apart that's the real PITA.

Anyhoo, thanks for the advice, guys. I'll see how it goes and then come seek you out, Beven, if I can't get 'em apart. :D

I agree completely, but I thought it was just me!!!

I bent the Glock disassembly tool I had and tweaked my wrist trying to get them off. Never heard of people's base plates flying off, not sure why they thought they had to change them.....grrrrr.

Those little nibs on the sides that lock the baseplate? Cut 'em off. Every other pistol mag on the planet seems to get by just fine without 'em, I can't fathom why Glock insists on putting them there.

I have cut those little ears off over a year ago and have never had a mag fall apart yet when hitting the ground or anything else for that matter. I second trimming them off.

I just use a strong steel punch (not the thin Glock tool). I push the punch through the hole in the basepad and use the punch to pry it off.

The key is that you need a strong punch. I think I use a finishing nail countersink punch.

I just use a strong steel punch (not the thin Glock tool). I push the punch through the hole in the basepad and use the punch to pry it off.

The key is that you need a strong punch. I think I use a finishing nail countersink punch.

Cy, I already bent one. Then I used the nailset (same thing you're talking about) on another. Still too damn hard.

Here's how to do it with the new super mags:

Insert punch into hole

Place punch on flat surface and hold with weak hand

Make sure magazine is hanging of the edge of the flat surface and press down with your strong hand... hard... harder... trust me, it won't break it.

I just did 9 of the remaining 10 mags I have this way (didn't feel like emptying the 31-rounder). Gotta clean up the plastic burrs and then things will be easy off with a punch through the bottom.

I was having the same problem with my Glock mags forever. While in Florida for the Open I stopped into a gun shop in Merritt Island that happened to be the biggest Glock supplier for law enforcement in Florida. I asked him what the trick was and he does it just like Beven(no big suprise). Push the punch way in use it as leverage and give it a good snap. I also have always cut the little tabs and have never had any issues. It really isn't that hard when you see it done but definetly frustrating if you've never seen it. Good luck

BJ

1. Hold mag body in right hand. 2. Put front edge of base plate against solid flat surface: bench, table, politician's forehead. Hold mag at about 45 degrees. 3. Use a punch, Allen wrench, or small screwdriver to push in the dissassembly button with the other hand while pushing mag down hard against the surface. When the base plate slides against the punch or tool, withdraw it and slide the base plate the rest of the way off. Works for me without cutting off the tabs.

i just took mine apart the other day:

-hold mag with left hand, while also using the left hand to hold a punch to push the button in.

-with right hand, slide a small flat tip screwdriver between the base pad and the mag body (along the rear of the mag) and push the screwdriver towards the front of the mag to pry the base pad off.

it takes a bit of force to overcome the tabs, but this works well, and hasnt messed up my base pads.

Channel lock pliers. Also called water pump pliers. Set them for a wide opening, pad the jaws and squeeze the sides of the magazine just above the floor plate at aout the tab location. The bottom plate then slides off. It doesn't take much squeezing of get the floor plate by the tabs this way.

• 2 years later...

I brought this back around because I was trying to get the base pads off my newer mags to replace the springs. :angry2:

My old mags, circa 1989, :rolleyes: didn't have the hole in the base pad. You just squeeze them a little and the pads came right off. :cheers:

Fast forward to today with my 3 year old standard capacity mags. With a hole in the base pad plus the notches. :blink:

Here's how I finally did it. Built up the jaws of the channel lock pliers with a small chunk of wood and Duct Tape. Pushed a punch through the hole in the base pad until the inner flat plastic piece was jammed down in beside the spring. Then just squeezed with the pliers and pushed the pad off. :lol:

I elevated the edge of the mag on a 2x4, depressed the spring with a punch, and then tapped the edge of the base with a plastic hammer, slid right off.

I used the same method except I used the edge of the kitchen counter top, drove my wife crazy. I'm divorced now but the method still works for the base pads. :unsure::blink:

• 2 weeks later...