Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Open Shotgun

window2time

I know that "Best" is subjective and also occasionally provocative, but I would like to hear what everyone thinks is currently the best Open shotgun.

What are the top Pros using in 3GN events for Open shotguns? What were the top finishers shooting with in Open at this year's Iron Man (wow, was that 6 slug spinners?)? If you don't think that it matters what the top pros are shooting because they shoot what their sponsor wants them to shoot, then just tell me what you think the best setup is in Open Shotgun for 3 gun and why.

What brand shotgun? Tube magazine? Box mag? X-rail? What's the best setup? For the purposes of this discussion, lets say that cost is no object.

Many different scenarios can play out to give of them each an advantage. I think it really it match specific for which is better.

Unloaded Starts - Edge to Box Fed

Ammo Selection - Box Fed (Xrail only likes 3.25-3.5 dram loads)

Anything over 13 rounds (Or however big the a mag can get for box fed - (23 round Tooth and Nail Mag) - Xrail (No reloads).

Loading Slugs/Specialty Ammo on the fly - Xrail

At the end of the day, I shoot an integrated Benelli M2 Xrail with a +2 on the main tube. That gives me 27 + 1 + 1.

I have an MKA but I have not shot it much at all. I had an M2 with a speed chute and I didn't care for it at all. The MKA still only runs on 1300fps ammo and it kicks like a mule. I also had an M2 with a non integrated X-rail and it would not run. It went back to X-rail a bunch of times and it would run on 18.00 a box fiocchi shells. I traded it for other stuff. Hunter aka Nubs runs a saiga very well. Seems to have very few issues. Once I get the MKA dialed in I think I will like it.

The only shotgun I've tried for open is the box fed MKA 1919 (in my case the pre-XN model). Once you've got everything lined out (broke in and magazines tuned) its a reliable delight to shoot. It runs good with quality 1145 fps shells.

Controls are like the AR so learning the gun is quick.

Reloads with the 10rd to 23rd box magazines is fast (I'm slow compared to many others, but 2.25 seconds in practice will not hold me back much).

The only negative to this platform is finding some replacement parts. The bolt, locking block and drive block are weak areas. So far I've got well over 3000 rds through my match gun and its still holding together. Others have several times that many rounds in their guns without problems. Some others have had their's crater with less.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I shoot a Tooth & Nail MKA XN. It runs 100% on 1145 shells. I'm running a mid barrel comp with a Burris FF3 for a dot. They are great shotguns and in my opinion the best open shotgun out there.

Plus one on this and a 23 round mag makes most stages pretty easy on the reloads.

gerritm

Looked into it myself and decided on sending an MKA 1919-XN to Matt at Tooth & Nail. Currently running a 15% discount for Father's Day.

You won't be disappointed. Make sure to get at least 1-23 round mag also!

EDIT: Sorry norbs. I mistook you for the OP when I posted.

Edited by StarvinPilgrim

Looked into it myself and decided on sending an MKA 1919-XN to Matt at Tooth & Nail. Currently running a 15% discount for Father's Day.

You won't be disappointed. Make sure to get at least 1-23 round mag also!

Those are also available from Tooth and Nail with the 15% Father's Day Discount. Ordered mine last week.

Info on the discount code is in another thread here on the forum.

Bill

Great advice guys. I called Matt at Tooth & Nail today and placed my order. And yes, I also got a 23rd mag. Looking forward to it.

Congrats!

With the 15% discount.......you should get 2 of them. You'll thank me after the next big match with a 40+ round shotgun stage.

You are right of course. I just ordered more. I will have a total of 2 of the 23 rounders and 6 of the 10 rounders. Some of the 10 rounders will be cinched. It is a lot of mags to buy but you are right this is s good time to buy them. Thanks for the help

Great advice guys. I called Matt at Tooth & Nail today and placed my order. And yes, I also got a 23rd mag. Looking forward to it.

Congrats!

With the 15% discount.......you should get 2 of them. You'll thank me after the next big match with a 40+ round shotgun stage.

I know that "Best" is subjective and also occasionally provocative, but I would like to hear what everyone thinks is currently the best Open shotgun.

What are the top Pros using in 3GN events for Open shotguns? What were the top finishers shooting with in Open at this year's Iron Man (wow, was that 6 slug spinners?)? If you don't think that it matters what the top pros are shooting because they shoot what their sponsor wants them to shoot, then just tell me what you think the best setup is in Open Shotgun for 3 gun and why.

What brand shotgun? Tube magazine? Box mag? X-rail? What's the best setup? For the purposes of this discussion, lets say that cost is no object.

X rails fail more often than they work from what I have seen. I prefer R&R Saigas but the AKDAL is also a good choice. Between the Saiga and the AKDAL the AKDAL has better optics mounting solutions but it also has more recoil and is more ammo sensitive. The AKDAL is cheaper however. At the matches we host up here guys simply can not keep up using a standard tube mag and speed loaders. We sometimes have 38 round shotgun courses.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Truly? The SPAS 15 is damn good, the Russian Molot factory works guns are real nice! The Finish Molots are real trick, and not one available here in the U.S. We are soon behind the curve on mag fed shotguns it is like comparing a model A Ford with a Phantom jet.

Hey Pat,

Three (no, four guys) guys come to mind that are contrary to your theory of tube mags and speed loaders being slower than box mag shooters;

Jerry Miculek

Mike Voigt

Don Bednorz

Craig Calkins

Just saying, it can be done with tubes and loaders... :)

jj

Eta; and I know at least a couple of Xrail guys that can finish up there well above box mags too...

I guess what I am saying is pick your platform and practice will make the most difference. Trying to buy a win usually don't work... :)

I do enjoy the heck out a shooting my 1919 thou!

Edited by RiggerJJ

Hey Pat,

Three (no, four guys) guys come to mind that are contrary to your theory of tube mags and speed loaders being slower than box mag shooters;

Jerry Miculek

Mike Voigt

Don Bednorz

Craig Calkins

Just saying, it can be done with tubes and loaders... :)

Meaning absolutely no disrespect to anyone on your list, but can they load 23rd in under 2-1/2 seconds?

Most newbies with a little practice with a Saiga or MKA 1919 can.

Bill