FTF

Wesquire

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just about had a meltdown today at a classifier match.

Lost 2 GM classifiers because of this damn issue. Almost threw my gun away right then and there.

I still have no idea what is causing this. Does it with extremes and also with BBI's. Wondering if it just needs to be broke in more than 4k rounds or so? I know that this is still the break in period but seriously this is getting ridiculous.

WJM

I remember when I first got my Stock II that when I had mind loaded to 1.135 for my G34 they wouldn't feed/fit in my Tanfo and I had to go to 1.125 and ran perfect at that length. I'm trying the 1.125 length in my Stock III and if after I break it in some more and still have feed issues I'll shorten to 1.115. I did do some polishing such as feed ramp, the hood on top of barrel, extractor as pointed out by others on here and hope the combo of that along with simply shooting it will fix the problems. That sux your pistol having so many feed issues after putting a good bit of rounds thru it.

I took my Stock 3 to the range yesterday before a match and ran around 400 rounds through it with no problems. At the match, I did have it fail to feed on make ready twice. I'm loading 147 Xtremes to 1.125" oal. I didn't have any failures on the clock.

Took the gun apart after my competition Saturday to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it.

Here are some pictures of the burr that I believe was causing me issues, and also of the extractor that I believe was causing this issue.

0B160F8E-93F6-468B-B7A6-819997A245A3_zps

5762DDF7-1733-487B-9446-B950DC5E7FE8_zps

434F7174-77F6-446A-8EBA-C5CBF746AF66_zps

The reason I went back to this burr, and with the extractor is after having a FTF I did a tacticool tap rack and my dad picked up the round after being ejected. EVERY SINGLE one of the brass had something in common, a slight cut and subsequent burr on the bottom of the brass like this.

FD39EAA7-C95B-4A5B-9CAA-21402C62EE8E_zps

457585DF-3C6E-412C-B1F7-4823730D9C07_zps

This is what the gun looked like after a FTF and what brought me to look at the extractor and the burr on the bottom of the slide.

1F425101-8FBB-4C5A-8CF8-6EE5AA8AFF5D_zps

I went shooting later that night to put some rounds through it to try it out and see if it was fixed. Another thing I did was run all my bullets through a pass through die which did seem to help whether or not a bullet would have this issue of FTF.

I shot around 200 rounds and didn't have a single FTF so I guess for right now we are back to good. Crossing my fingers this gun doesn't keep screwing up my matches.

Thanks,

WJM

I run 147gr coated FP at 1.140 in the stock 2. So far I have about 700 rounds through without a single malfunction.

Not that this has anything to do with stock 3 problems, but there has been some mention of OAL in this thread.

These are the same rounds I use in the Glock 34

At least in my opinion (very little true knowledge of gun smithing), if the OAL was the main cause of this, I would have an issue on almost every single round correct? My OAL isn't changing a whole lot (by a whole lot I mean not at all), which would suggest this couldn't be the issue.

I think its an extractor and a burr issue, however I am not discounting the OAL change.

I will be shooting a steel match this weekend probably worth 400-500 rounds and I will be able to see if it still has lots of issues. Hopefully I can figure this out at a match that is a throw away for me rather than an important USPSA match.

WJM

Edited by WJM

I saw the Single Stage in the background and was like Ain't No One Got Time For That! :devil:

Seems to be a common issue with the Stock III. Needs them shorter. Over the weekend I chrono checked this load in my Stock III. 1.125" OAL LeatherHead TN 147gr w/ 3.4gr of VV N320. PF came to 135.something. Im going to go down a tenth.

FWIW I have a 9lb Recoil spring and have zero feeding issues during live fire. I do however have an issue with trying to bump release the slide on mag insert. Most likely the weaker recoil spring. Doesn't matter because I shouldn't be doing slide lock reloads right?

I saw the Single Stage in the background and was like Ain't No One Got Time For That! :devil:

Seems to be a common issue with the Stock III. Needs them shorter. Over the weekend I chrono checked this load in my Stock III. 1.125" OAL LeatherHead TN 147gr w/ 3.4gr of VV N320. PF came to 135.something. Im going to go down a tenth.

FWIW I have a 9lb Recoil spring and have zero feeding issues during live fire. I do however have an issue with trying to bump release the slide on mag insert. Most likely the weaker recoil spring. Doesn't matter because I shouldn't be doing slide lock reloads right?

Hahhaah, would you believe the first 26k rounds my dad and I shot we single staged every single round?

I don't think the recoil spring is an issue to be honest. I have a friend that wants me to try a heavier recoil spring and I trust him but I doubt that a heavier recoil spring will change it. Yeah I never should do a slide lock reload but once that plan goes to shit there it goes!

WJM

WJM, I would concur that those burs seem like your issue. The marks on your cases plus all the shavings in your slide pic seem to back that up.

These guns should run great after 1500 rounds of break in.

Hahhaah, would you believe the first 26k rounds my dad and I shot we single staged every single round?

I don't think the recoil spring is an issue to be honest. I have a friend that wants me to try a heavier recoil spring and I trust him but I doubt that a heavier recoil spring will change it. Yeah I never should do a slide lock reload but once that plan goes to shit there it goes!

WJM

That's insane! I loaded 2000 rounds on a single stage when I first started uspsa. Took about 80 minutes to load 100 rounds. Then I said F that and bought a 650. I can't imagine 26k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the SnS coated 135 RN bullet, it looks like I have to drop the OAL to 1.06 or less in order for the round to feed.

Does that seem normal? I'm so used to working with longer bullets in my Shadow (1.135).

Just ran 182 rounds out of the gun tonight.

Not one FTF using BBI's which I had previously had issues with. I hadn't cleaned the gun in over 700 rounds because I wanted to see if that would affect it at all. Turns out that it didn't and it seemed to run much better.

Turns out the gun can shoot fast without any malfunctions!

WJM

I am definitely going to check my Stock III for anything like that. I am still hopeful my FTF are simply needing to break in. I have the MS Classic in 4 weeks but I am not going to try and shoot this until I have at least 500 rounds thru it without any FTF's

With the SnS coated 135 RN bullet, it looks like I have to drop the OAL to 1.06 or less in order for the round to feed.

Does that seem normal? I'm so used to working with longer bullets in my Shadow (1.135).

That sounds right to me. If the mold for their 135's is the same as Bayou's then the shape of that bullet does force you to load it pretty short. I loved the feel of 135g bullets, but because of loading issues and availability, I have been shooting more 124g in 9mm.

That sounds right to me. If the mold for their 135's is the same as Bayou's then the shape of that bullet does force you to load it pretty short. I loved the feel of 135g bullets, but because of loading issues and availability, I have been shooting more 124g in 9mm.

Curious what you mean by "loading issues."

I just mean having to load so short. I load 9mm and .40 with WST because I like it well enough, and have a lot of it right now, but it's fast, and it makes me nervous to get down around the 1.10" loading lengths. I prefer to keep it up around 1.13-1.14".

I just mean having to load so short. I load 9mm and .40 with WST because I like it well enough, and have a lot of it right now, but it's fast, and it makes me nervous to get down around the 1.10" loading lengths. I prefer to keep it up around 1.13-1.14".

I feel the same way.

Not sure which way to go. Really like the 147s out of my Shadows, but those (at 1.135) are too long to work in the Stock III.

I guess i could try shortening those a little to see how they run.

Or go to 124s.

What do you think is going to happen? You're gun will blow up from reducing your case volume by 3% (wild guess)? :)

You probably see a greater pressure differential between throws of powder. :)