Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTF

Wesquire

There is more to the equation too. Bullet type etc.... Round nose typically feeds better than TN. What happened with me was with 147 TNs. I cycled 600 rounds just fine. But none of them were at slide lock. It wasn't till I had to do some that the problem started to show. Now the frequency was only about maybe 2 out of 400 but it was 100% a load length issue.

I learned this lesson the hard way with my CZ SP01. I was running through an IDPA classifier that required a slide lock reload on a string. Sure enough the round was just slightly too long to feed from slide lock and cost me 4-5 seconds getting locked up. In my experience that SIII's seem to like them even shorter than the CZs.

Good practice is to see how the last round cycles through your mag into the chamber as well as slide lock reloads.

Edited by praetorian97

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have shot 1000's of 135's and 1000's of 147's Bayous and never had any feeding issues before unitl this Stock III. If after breaking it in I am still having issues I may get a batch of 135's which are RN and see if for some reason my III likes them better. I hope not as I just like the feel of the 147's even though it is minimal from the 135's plus I got A LOT already loaded:-)

I have shot 1000's of 135's and 1000's of 147's Bayous and never had any feeding issues before unitl this Stock III. If after breaking it in I am still having issues I may get a batch of 135's which are RN and see if for some reason my III likes them better. I hope not as I just like the feel of the 147's even though it is minimal from the 135's plus I got A LOT already loaded:-)

Gump,

What's the oal you are using on the 135's?

We just tested some Stock III's , the same batch you got... No problems whatever bullets we feed...147, 135, 124, 115..

1.125 was the OAL I have run in all my 9mm Tanfos. It is only the first Stock III that I bought that is giving my FTF's. I have shot it like 4 different times at the range and each time the FTF's are getting less and less plus I went down to 1.115 OAL for them. My other Stock III from the same batch I shot around 50-60 rounds after match and not a single issue. The 147's have always ran fine in my Stock II's at 1.125 OAL.

I can only assume that the one giving me issues just needs some more breaking in. If after another 500-700 rounds I am still having issues then I am not sure what else to try as I have polished feed ramp, barrel hood, extractor, the rib under the slide, etc. Going to 1.115 has seemed to help some but I can't say for sure as it may be it's just breaking in at the same time. After the MS Classic this weekend I am gonna get to the range and really get some rounds thru them and see what happens with the 1.115 OAL Bayou 147's.

I only had the following reliability. Longer lengths fired fine but the occasional FTF would pop up. So I went shorter and no FTFs so far.

147gr Truncated Nose @ 1.10"

124gr Flat Nose @ 1.055"

These will feed reliable in my CZ-SP01 and Stock III.

Well between Praetorian and I, I think we have solved this issue.

I was getting close enough to selling this gun I was so frustrated but Praetorian told me to try out a new mag spring in the magazine just on the offhand that the new spring solved my issues.

Low and behold it did. Luckily I had ordered a new magazine so that I have 6 of them, and I was able today to run a flawless practice session with this one unmolested magazine. Actually I did have issues when I ran bullets longer than 1.145 but I knew that would happen but I wanted to shoot them anyways.

I ordered +5% magazine springs from Ben Stoeger, and I am hoping to be able to have those for this next saturdays match and I will update everyone how they are going. They have a chrono at my next match and I am hoping to have a load developed with 165 extremes at around 4.3 gr of Titegroup, at 1.135 I believe that will be around 133 pf.

Thanks for all the help,

WJM

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the mag springs didn't change it.

I was getting very frustrated, especially when Praetorian would only mutter U die every 5 minutes.

Went to a match in Idaho and luckily there was a gunsmith there. I took the gun to him, and he said have you ever checked the firing pin hole? Um, well no I hadn't thought of that. Sure enough firing pin hole had a burr on the top end that was catching the brass as it came up. Resulted in locking the gun out of battery.

Small polish job later, gun runs flawless. Took it

Through 250 rounds last night and not one issue.

Thanks,

Wyatt

Yes! I'm glad I could be of some use!

Honestly now I am reconsidering selling my gun. Who knows I may just keep it. Thing runs perfect and it would be nice to have my dad use his own gun instead of having to trade.

Hopefully Gump sees this and it solves his problem.

WJM

I will definitely try doing this to the Stock III that's still giving me feeding issues. The feeding is only happening on one Stock III, my other has run perfect. It's weird. Hopefully it'll fix my issues like it did for you!!!

Edited by bayougump