Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to buy mineral spirits?

Must be outlawed in CA, it's at all 3 of those stores here. I think the more time passes, the less CA looks like the state I went to college in. (Cal 1969, now that is a completely different set of memories)

Calif. bans high-emission paint thinners, solvents

California air regulators approved strict regulations Thursday for aerosol air fresheners, paint thinners and solvents as a way to lessen smog-forming emissions and reduce a health threat.

By SAMANTHA YOUNG

Associated Press Writer

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —

California air regulators approved strict regulations Thursday for aerosol air fresheners, paint thinners and solvents as a way to lessen smog-forming emissions and reduce a health threat......

Holy Crap! Air fresheners too!?

Yup looked at all the paint sections and even asked if they carried any. they all said no and didn't mention anything about it being illegal.

Either way, my friend had about half a quart and gave it to me. Gonna try it out tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful putting solvents in your tumbler. I tried putting a little low odor mineral spirits in with my well used corncob media to try to resurrect it, but the solvent and vapors caused the lid on my Lyman tumbler to warp. This happened on both my big turbo 2500 magnum with a black lid and my little Mini 600 with the clear lid.

Mineral spirits, like about everything else, must be known to the state of CA to do something bad if misused. Soon they will ban bottled water because if your pour enough of it into a suitable vessel you could manage to drown yourself.

Edited by drysideshooter

I want to try some mineral spirits with my dry tumbling, but can't find any locally in the Los Angeles/SGV area. I have already been to Home Depot, Lowes and a ACE with no luck. Any suggestions?

You want to use mineral oil, not mineral spirits. Available at any grocery store. Put a teaspoon or 2 into your walnut media to "load" it. There is zero dust, wets the brass and cleans it, and the media lasts a really long time. Then into corn for a 2nd tumble with liquid car polish. Even though some of the cases look like Wolff steel, they are not, but rather heavily tarnished brass.

from nasty to nice

image36947.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Stainless pinned - "From Nasty to Nice" !!!

10mmpinssequence.png

Nice, but no offense Steve, but that is no where near nasty. Some of the range brass I picked up I wasn't certain it was a case for sure.

:goof:

Edited by RDA

I want to try some mineral spirits with my dry tumbling, but can't find any locally in the Los Angeles/SGV area. I have already been to Home Depot, Lowes and a ACE with no luck. Any suggestions?

You want to use mineral oil, not mineral spirits. Available at any grocery store. Put a teaspoon or 2 into your walnut media to "load" it. There is zero dust, wets the brass and cleans it, and the media lasts a really long time. Then into corn for a 2nd tumble with liquid car polish. Even though some of the cases look like Wolff steel, they are not, but rather heavily tarnished brass.

from nasty to nice

image36947.jpg

Hmm, I didn't know Baby oil was used in dry tumbling ...

himurax13

Hmm, I didn't know Baby oil was used in dry tumbling ..

Yes, at least a 200 year old Bullseye recipe. And it works for constipation also...

Where do you shoot at?

Still not sure if you are serious about the baby oil. ;)

Lately my range trips have been random but I usually hit up the SWPL matches at Lopez Canyon the last sundays of every month. I also go to the Deadwood boys in Piru for Action pistol once in a while. I also go shoot at the 1800 Americana club for IDPA and bowling Pin.