Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When/Where to Unholster

ede

I'm asking just for clarification on what may be a stupid question. Topic sort of spun off another topic on another forum. Shooter said he returned to his car or truck to unholster and put his gun away. I said that was a not in compliance with the rules which require you to handle firearm either in Safe Area or under direction of RO. The response was the match was over and everyone does it along with some ranges allow it. The majority think I'm a prick and or dumbass. I'm still of the opinion the only acceptable place to handle firearm is Safe Area or under direction of the RO. It seems to me 2.4.1.1 covers this. Thanks in advance

Edited by ede

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Match doesn't end until you leave the range and go, wherever. You have the ability to DQ at any time. Just because you shot your last stage and everyone is packing up doesn't mean the day is over. Discipline must be maintained at all times.

Edited by PKT1106

In general, treating the trunk of your car as a safe area is frowned upon, and a bad habit to get into. It would certainly be a dq at most major matches, and just because one range allows it doesn't mean another one will, so why even get into the habit?

OTOH, sometimes the match will be explicitly limited to a certain set of bays, and 1 or more separate bays will be defined as not part of the match (they did this at nats in st george). So you could go over to those bays and practice without any RO supervision or any effect on your match.

I'm constantly surprised by the things that come up on these forums. I don't care what level of match you are at you don't mess with guns except as allowed in the rules. A "range" does not have the authority to take away from those rules. Come to my match and be seen holstering at your car and you will not even be allowed to register for the match. Unholster at your car when done and you will be DQ'ed. Sorry.

While I agree it's not a good practice, I'm not convinced that it's always DQ. If a shooter finished the match, goes to another bay that's outside of the match and shoots for a bit, then goes to their car and unholsters there (as allowed by this particular hypothetical range) is it still a DQ? If the match has been over for hours?

What if they stand around gabbing instead?

How do you define where/when the match starts and ends? When the last match official leaves? When the last competitor leaves?

Edited by JonSnow

While I agree it's not a good practice, I'm not convinced that it's always DQ. If a shooter finished the match, goes to another bay that's outside of the match and shoots for a bit, then goes to their car and unholsters there (as allowed by this particular hypothetical range) is it still a DQ? If the match has been over for hours?

What if they stand around gabbing instead?

How do you define where/when the match starts and ends? When the last match official leaves? When the last competitor leaves?

Having run a club where shooting facilities were still available for the membership while we were running the match, it was USPSA rules for all competitors for as long as we controlled our bays, anywhere in those bays, the immediately surrounding area and the parking lot. Actually didn't really have to worry about the parking lot, because handling guns there could get you an invite to the next BOD meeting (for club members) or an invitation to leave the premises immediately (for non-club members.....)

So where do most who carry put their loaded carry weapon back on. I don't think I've been to a match yet that actually provided a place to unholster and clear ones carry weapon or load it back up before leaving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've (never) been to a match that provided a place to unholster or load it back up before leaving

Excellent point. :bow: :bow: :bow:

We seem to be very worried about boxing an unloaded weapon which has been cleared

by a RO at the end of the last stage, :surprise:

but NOT worried about unholstering and

reholstering a LOADED weapon before & after the shoot. :ph34r:

So where do most who carry put their loaded carry weapon back on. I don't think I've been to a match yet that actually provided a place to unholster and clear ones carry weapon or load it back up before leaving.

If there is no clear unloading station, you walk right to the MD/RM and let them know what is going on. They, or a designated RO, will walk you to a bay, or other designated area, with your bag to unload and clear your carry. You then place it in your bag and carry it back to your vehicle for storage.

After you are done shooting the match, it gets kind of murky since USPSA is supposed to have cold ranges. I would say the MD/RM should use their best judgement on where to take you to load back up.

Edited by PKT1106

If there is no clear unloading station, you walk right to the MD/RM and let them know what is going on. They, or a designated RO, will walk you to a bay, or other designated area, with your bag to unload and clear your carry. You then place it in your bag and carry it back to your vehicle for storage.

After you are done shooting the match, it gets kind of murky since USPSA is supposed to have cold ranges. I would say the MD/RM should use their best judgement on where to take you to load back up.

Agreed. And our club has an unload point at the gate since carrying loaded is not permitted on the grounds. Works great for our rules!

Thanks for taking time to reply and confirming what I thought was correct. Too bad on the other forum where this came up the responses were completely opposite of what is posted here.

I saw no confirmation of anything except opinions in this thread. I've been waiting to see if a clear defining rule would be cited. If it was, I missed it.

I've only been shooting USPSA since 1995. Most of us non-open guys gear up and down in the parking lot. This is Nevada. We all carry guns here, and many of us are competing with our normal sidearms. After a match, we go to our vehicle, reload, reholster, and leave with our loaded guns. Next match, we show up, park, unload, gear up, and reholster, then go sign up for the match. Anyone who doesn't know how to load/unload without putting a round in their floorboard is welcome to use a range bay not being used by the match. I don't have a berm at home, either, and while I recognize loading and unloading is a possible time for negligent discharges, I still load and unload carefully at home when required, and in the safest direction available at the time, or is this supposed to be an unspoken secret amongst those of us who carry firearms on a daily basis?

I don't see in the rules where the parking lot is part of the match boundaries, in time or geography, especially for those who aren't reloading a sidearm that they carry after the match; though would be happy to be corrected. I see no mention in the rules of what officially constitutes "after the match." Maybe I missed it.

Around here, we don't have cold ranges, except for the bays used for a match that requires one. Many of our rifle, shotgun, and submachine gun matches here will have many of us competitors with holstered, loaded sidearms that won't be used. Like I said, this is Nevada. Even our County-operated public range allows loaded sidearms.

I saw no confirmation of anything except opinions in this thread. I've been waiting to see if a clear defining rule would be cited. If it was, I missed it.

I've only been shooting USPSA since 1995. Most of us non-open guys gear up and down in the parking lot. This is Nevada. We all carry guns here, and many of us are competing with our normal sidearms. After a match, we go to our vehicle, reload, reholster, and leave with our loaded guns. Next match, we show up, park, unload, gear up, and reholster, then go sign up for the match. Anyone who doesn't know how to load/unload without putting a round in their floorboard is welcome to use a range bay not being used by the match. I don't have a berm at home, either, and while I recognize loading and unloading is a possible time for negligent discharges, I still load and unload carefully at home when required, and in the safest direction available at the time, or is this supposed to be an unspoken secret amongst those of us who carry firearms on a daily basis?

I don't see in the rules where the parking lot is part of the match boundaries, in time or geography, especially for those who aren't reloading a sidearm that they carry after the match; though would be happy to be corrected. I see no mention in the rules of what officially constitutes "after the match." Maybe I missed it.

Around here, we don't have cold ranges, except for the bays used for a match that requires one. Many of our rifle, shotgun, and submachine gun matches here will have many of us competitors with holstered, loaded sidearms that won't be used. Like I said, this is Nevada. Even our County-operated public range allows loaded sidearms.

You have been doing it wrong for a long long time then.

Written rule? No. But common sense seems to dictate the match starts when you show up to shoot and ends when you drive away.

Written rule? No. But common sense seems to dictate the match starts when you show up to shoot and ends when you drive away.

I don't see anything wrong with that. It appears they have defined the match boundaries to be only the bays in use for the match. I don't have a problem with that. I think the only danger is that a less-experienced competitor might not realize that other matches at other ranges might be different.

At our range we do generally include the parking lot, but we also have 4 other bays and a long-distance rifle range you can get to past the parking lot. I would guess that if you finish the match, and go to one of those other bays to practice, no one would really care where you put stuff away when you were done. At any rate, none of us are really watching what's going on in the parking lot.

Edited by motosapiens

Getting back to the original point, if the competitor just left the last stage, went to their vehicle, unholstered, and came back to the bays were the match is being held, then they are wrong. There was a shooter on the last day of the Nationals that did that and was DQ'ed - the last stage for them was just finished and then they go home with a zero. What a shame but we have to follow the rules.

Technically, the match is not over at that point (your last stage finished) since there may be reshoots, there is tear down, stats are usually running things, etc., and the MD has control over the range when it starts and ends. If the host range allows members to load/unload at their vehicle, that can't applied during a USPSA match, see rule 3.3.

Now, getting back to the host range and if the shooter wanted to stay and shoot. I do understand if the shooter wants to move to another area after the match director has declared the match has ended or during their scheduled time but they must still adhere to the cold range philosophy.

If there's no written rule, who's to say they're doing anything wrong? ;)

If there's no written rule, who's to say they're doing anything wrong? ;)
Weak

How many stories are there every year of unloaded guns going off during "cleaning"? Over-confidence will lead to complacency. Complacency leads to accidents.

Edited by PKT1106