Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Common Cause of primer tube detonation?

Registered here looking for info on Dillon reloaders and Sig p320s, I have been lurking around here for a little over a month now and have been reading all I can on Dillon reloaders. What a great site! tons of info on every Dillon made product and lots of knowledgeable members. So my question is, what are some of the causes for Primer tube detonation? also what to avoid so it won't happen?

Thanks Matt

Soft primers and over zealous handle pullers. I have crushed primers flat and they didn't go off but I don't hammer away at them on the press. Once one gets set off typically it creates a daisy chain around the disc and into the tube.

Don't force primers !

Soft primers and over zealous handle pullers. I have crushed primers flat and they didn't go off but I don't hammer away at them on the press. Once one gets set off typically it creates a daisy chain around the disc and into the tube.

Don't force primers !

Thanks Kevin

Same here, I have only set off one primer in 24+ years of reloading. I have crushed hundreds pretty bad, they are very durable so it's tough to get them to set off unless you are really hand jamming them. The one I set off was one of the hardest on the market, Tula, so even the hardest will detonate too.

I would say if you feeling too much force, stop and start checking the situation instead of going forward with the seating process.

Same here, I have only set off one primer in 24+ years of reloading. I have crushed hundreds pretty bad, they are very durable so it's tough to get them to set off unless you are really hand jamming them. The one I set off was one of the hardest on the market, Tula, so even the hardest will detonate too.

I would say if you feeling too much force, stop and start checking the situation instead of going forward with the seating process.

Thanks George

Don't force primers !

Now you tell me :)

I ran into some crimped 9mm. Couldn't figure out why I had so many crushed, high, tipped primers all of a sudden... until looking closer at the head stamp!

Welcome to the Forums. FWIW the most reported detonations seem to be on the 650. It seems that the primer hangs up on the disc and detonates on the priming stroke. I don't remember hearing that a crushed primer on a 550 caused a detonation. I might be wrong. You don't know. It could happen. :)

One main cause, especially on the vibra-prime type setups is primer dust that accumulates in the tube over time. Static elec. will set it off and whatever primers are in there will go too. The fix is to wash out your primer tubes with hot water and a brush once in a while.

Federal primers

This^^^

I have blown up the primer feeding system on my 650. I was using Federal Primers and hit a 9mm with a NATO crimped pocket. The primer got a little sideways and I tried pushing through it. Bad idea. The whole primer tube ignited at once shooting the rod into the ceiling. No harm done but I made sure to wear safety glasses after that. Dillon was great and replaced the broken parts for free. I am now very careful when I feel any resistance to seating the primers and when I can I use Winchester instead of Federal. I can actually feel a difference running Winchester or CCI over Federal Primers in the press. Federal feel softer to me even in the press.

Federal primers were a necessity when I was shooting Glocks but now that I am running a P320 I haven't had any issues with using Winchester or CCI primers even after having trigger work done.

Good luck!

I have been using the 650 since 1994. I don't know how many thousands of round of rounds I have reloaded reloaded, but lets say it is a lot.

To date I have never had a primer explosion. I think the number one sign of a problem is the feel. If you are trying to seat a primer and it takes more force then stop, something is wrong. My only experience has been trying to put a primer is a crimped primer pocket that I missed. You will know it, you will feel it. If you force it bad things can happen such as a badly smashed primer of even a detonation of the primer.

Now from there I can't explain why the 650 will daisy chain back through the primer wheel into the primer column. It may be a build up of primer dust or simply the design on the system. I do think cleaning the primer system on a regular basis is a good habit.

In any event the primer systems that failed were all contained into the protective steel tube that vents safely way from the user.

Just make sure to wear safety glasses and hearing protection when you are reloading. And when the feel isn't right stop and take a look if the primer is seating correctly. Trust me after reloading a few hundred you develop the feel of seating a primer correctly.

I have been using the 650 since 1994. I don't know how many thousands of round of rounds I have reloaded reloaded, but lets say it is a lot.

To date I have never had a primer explosion. I think the number one sign of a problem is the feel. If you are trying to seat a primer and it takes more force then stop, something is wrong. My only experience has been trying to put a primer is a crimped primer pocket that I missed. You will know it, you will feel it. If you force it bad things can happen such as a badly smashed primer of even a detonation of the primer.

Now from there I can't explain why the 650 will daisy chain back through the primer wheel into the primer column. It may be a build up of primer dust or simply the design on the system. I do think cleaning the primer system on a regular basis is a good habit.

In any event the primer systems that failed were all contained into the protective steel tube that vents safely way from the user.

Just make sure to wear safety glasses and hearing protection when you are reloading. And when the feel isn't right stop and take a look if the primer is seating correctly. Trust me after reloading a few hundred you develop the feel of seating a primer correctly.

I agree. I prefer the way a 650 seats the primer over the 1050.....It;s funny how different brands feel different from others....

This also another reason I sort my brass. Over time you get the feel for certain brands of primers and primer pockets believe it or not. If I have a bin full of same headstamp brass every round should feel more or less the same going through the press. When something feels "off" there is usually a reason to stop and check it out instead of trying to use brute force and ignorance to load it. I accumulate all the usual suspects in my misc bucket and when I get enough I will load them up for practice. I hate when you are trying to load and pull the handle and get, smooth, tight, smooth, crunch, tight smooth, etc.

Don't drop the rod into the primer tube. Friend dropped the rod into a half full tube and lost the top off his little finger :surprise:

WOW, thanks Gold, I never thought of that.

I've been dropping the rod into the primer tube forever (usually a full tube, though) -

I won't do that ever again. :ph34r:

Sorry, everybody else - I already knew about them - but this is new to me.

The main reason they chain is primer dust. That's also probably why that guy's tube exploded when he dropped the rod. Primers aren't that sensitive.

Primer dust... is very sensitive. No one has much mentioned it in this thread.

Clean your primer feed tubes. Just run a patch through them every now and then. Clean the carousel on a 650, clean the primer slide on the 1050.

I've set off several singles with a motorized 1050, but I've never had a whole tube go. Keep it clean.

I had a primer detonation but it stayed within the primer indexing disc (thankfully). It was entirely my fault, I didn't get the primer to seat the first time so I tried to force it again and boom, never again. I was using federal small pistol primers and mixed brass, it happened to be a military crimped 9mm case. FWIW Dillon replaced all of the parts at no cost to me, they are such a great company!

The main reason they chain is primer dust. That's also probably why that guy's tube exploded when he dropped the rod. Primers aren't that sensitive.

I would have bet on using a weighted and/or metal rod vs the factory plastic rod.

I think the main reason must be force applied when something is not right. If it were dust or a problem with a certain brand of primers I would have lit one off over the last 30 years. My motto is, if something doesn't feel right, stop and figure out what it is.

I had a totally crushed primer stuck in hole on a 1050 primer feed bar, Just trying to pry it out with very little force it when off. BTW the primer was so crushed the anvil was all ready separated from the primer and was removed first before starting to dig out the primer cup. Maybe it was static electricity that set it off?

I would have bet on using a weighted and/or metal rod vs the factory plastic rod.

I think the main reason must be force applied when something is not right. If it were dust or a problem with a certain brand of primers I would have lit one off over the last 30 years. My motto is, if something doesn't feel right, stop and figure out what it is.

Yeah the main reason you get a pop is forcing a primer (well shearing it usually). But the main reason a whole tube goes up is because the primer dust helps propagate the explosion.

The two go hand in hand often, because if someone is oblivious to damaging primers as they are seating them, there's going to be a lot more dust on the primer system from mashed up primers.

I had a totally crushed primer stuck in hole on a 1050 primer feed bar, Just trying to pry it out with very little force it when off. BTW the primer was so crushed the anvil was all ready separated from the primer and was removed first before starting to dig out the primer cup. Maybe it was static electricity that set it off?

Could have been dust involved in that pop. If it wasn't static or primer dust, it was just that the crush pre-compressed a bit of the compound to the point that it had a hair trigger.

When the compound is in the cup, it's pretty well protected. When it's dust outside the cup, it's pretty easy to develop a lot of psi of pressure on the compound at one tiny point with something like the edge of a screwdriver. That's what it's designed to do after all, explode when a tiny bit of it is compressed.

It is a good idea to occasionally run a patch with alcohol thru your primer tubes to clean out residual primer compound which can accumulate over time.

If the patch comes out yellow, that's primer compound.