Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Puzzle

I bought this 1050 new in 2007 and loaded 9 major for a few years with no issues other than the occasional expected primer bobbles and a somewhat sticky case feed slide. After a move and the machine sitting in a box for a few years I've been reading up on it in the forums before I set it up again.

Here on BE I found that the case feed cam has been redesigned with a different profile for a smoother feed and that the primer station retaining tab had been changed from white to see-through and should be available now. Pretty sure I read both items had been confirmed by whoever answers for Dillon on this forum.

I just got off the phone with Lee from Dillon and he unequivocally denied that either of these changes had been made or were going to be made. I was trying to order them to reduce future problems but....

What gives?

I'll stick out my neck here and say that (very recent super 1050 purchase through Brian) I believe Dillon has redesigned the profile and are shipping out new presses and tool heads with the change. I purchased the modified case feed cam anticipating potential problems but have experienced nothing but smooth sailing with my new press. The aftermarket modified feed cam thingie is a very well made addition that seems to be a solution to a problem that I don't have. It now has a home in my spare parts bin...

My search is not turning up the exact post, but last night I copied a picture posted by Dillon on the Dillon (this) forum of the cam and I just took a picture of my cam and they are absolutely different. It was not the aftermarket mod, it was claimed to be the Dillon fix.

Mine is this one post-10534-0-93047700-1422577729_thumb.j

Dillonpost-10534-0-86912300-1422577760_thumb.j

Can't think of any reason Lee at Dillon wouldn't know about this. Not sure what to think. Anyone from Dillon monitoring this forum? I could also really use the new clear primer cover as that's the only fairly regular problem I had with this press.

The only case feeding problems my old 1050s have ever had would be bunged up rims that would have problems on any shell plate. Cleaning the case feed and looking for where the problem is (leave the cover off and keep your finger on the spring and watch the case feed action to see where the problem is) would be all I could offer.

Not sure what the benefit of a clear primer retaining tab would have. Wish the tab could be held down with an easily pulled pin.

The case fed cam was redesigned just over a year ago. A potential wire replacement for the white plastic wedge at the primer station is currently being beta-tested. It won't be ready for a few months at least. We are also making a change to the primer slide; the rubber sleeve and roll pin are being phased out in favor of a brass roller secured by a screw. So far only the small primer slides are being shipped that way. The opening of the clear plastic funnel on the face of the case feed bowl was changed from a rectangular opening to a round one. Your machine could have either. We don't keep close track over when changes occur, other than on blueprints. We are always working on improvements, most are very minor.

The case feed funnel was the rectangular unit when I bought mine in 2006, Dillon replaced it with the round unit and it still stacks occasionally.

Will the parts be made available so that I can retrofit to my existing primer slides? Knowing that I will have to tap the hole and maybe enlarge it.

The case fed cam was redesigned just over a year ago. A potential wire replacement for the white plastic wedge at the primer station is currently being beta-tested. It won't be ready for a few months at least. We are also making a change to the primer slide; the rubber sleeve and roll pin are being phased out in favor of a brass roller secured by a screw. So far only the small primer slides are being shipped that way. The opening of the clear plastic funnel on the face of the case feed bowl was changed from a rectangular opening to a round one. Your machine could have either. We don't keep close track over when changes occur, other than on blueprints. We are always working on improvements, most are very minor.

I really do believe the cam is a design flaw - one which causes an unacceptable amount of errors on case feeding. I've purchased 3 toolheads at almost $300/ea with the flawed cam. Will you send the new cams with the fixed design as a free replacement?

"Dillon" responded here but didn't answer the question I originally asked nor did he respond to a pm I sent him. Still not sure why the phone tech told me he had never heard of the primer cam update when they tell this forum it was done a year ago. Tried to call today but was 14th in line this morning and 18th a minute ago. Could I respectfully suggest more help may be needed for their phone lines....

As to the visual primer feed wire, in early October on this very forum Dillon said "We have a few samples in the field being Beta-tested now. Should be available in about 60 days."

On November 24 he said "probable release date in early 2015". Now that it is early 2015 he said today that it won't be ready for a couple of months...

I own three Dillon machines and have always received prompt help for any of the minor problems I've had over the years with no charge for the 550 or the SL900. When I called yesterday I fully expected to pay for any 1050 parts and still have no problem with that as those were the terms when I bought the machine but I would prefer not to spend the time setting up a machine which needs updated parts. Any help is appreciated.

Ordered one of the new feed cams yesterday 9$. I would like to be on the beta test group for the primer spring change, but I imagine that is "in house".

The person I talked to was well aware of the changes though.

Edited by tomfturner

Road trip to Dillon yesterday. Bought case feed cam - $9. Bought new primer slide with brass roller instead of rubber washer - $80.95!!

I asked to be a beta tester for the wire replacement for the primer retainer station, but he just smiled and gave me a new white plastic wedge - for free!

The guy in the showroom was very knowledgable and helpful so it was worth the trip. Thank you Dillon.

I will give a report when I'm done setting up but just looking at the new primer slide it seems to me that the only difference, as "Dillon" said in his post above, is that instead of a roll pin with a rubber washer there's a threaded hole with a screw holding a brass roller. I'll probably just suck it up and use it as is ($81!) but for you many DIYers out there if you can find a brass roller of the correct OD (.243") just tap your current slide and screw it on. Or maybe Dillon will have just the screw and brass roller available to save you the cost of a new primer slide. Oh well, at least now I've got a spare.

We are also making a change to the primer slide; the rubber sleeve and roll pin are being phased out in favor of a brass roller secured by a screw. So far only the small primer slides are being shipped that way

Dillon,

How do we get this new Primer slide with the brass roller vs the rubber tube on the roll pin?

Edited by Nghthwk1911

The clear plastic tab was in a post I made here.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201244

I talked about not being able to see the primer in the primer slide and posted this photo.

1050clear_guide_copy.jpg

And for the safety police, I added an aluminum blast shield.

1050_clear_guideCover.jpg

Dillon replied that they were working on a replacement wire for the tab.

If you order a 1050 small primer slide, or order the 1050 small primer conversion, the primer slide has the brass roller. We have some commercial loaders who do the beta testing on 1050 parts for us. Some of them load 1-2 million rounds annually on an individual machine, so parts get a good workout. The brass roller had a couple of tweaks, so it has been tested in various versions for almost 3 years before we were ready to release it.

So I have bought two 1050's in the last year, one of them 4 months ago, and neither have this brass roller. Both were ordered as Small primers and one was converted to large. So Now this is a "standard" offering on 1050's? Is there a change in price for this part?

Last week, I ordered a large primer conversion for the 1050 thru Brian... I received the package today. Guess what... no rubber .... instead it has the brass roller. This is for LARGE primer... so apparently, Dillon has converted to the brass roller for both small AND large primer slides. I now have the brass roller for both of my primer slides.

I already installed mine and don't want to take it apart but here's a "happy snap"

post-10534-0-82721200-1423336365_thumb.j

1050 primer slide with brass roller

post-10534-0-31097100-1423336438_thumb.j

1050 primer slide with rubber

And, for the very observant among you, I did NOT take these pictures in Dillon's bathroom; when I bought my new house I used some of the old cabinets and countertops for my loading room and it just so happens to match the Dillon men's room.