Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI DVC Open and Limited guns

Quack

I've got 3k through my 40 DVC, no issues - it just likes a long c.o.a.l.

Thats the issue. A good gun should eat any ammo, long oal or short oal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great point, one just assumes it's acceptable to load long; shouldn't have to do that...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great point, one just assumes it's acceptable to load long; shouldn't have to do that...

Why not? The 1911 is built around a longer cartridge vs the 1.135 SAAMI Max of the .40. Seems to me we're just assuming you should be able to shoehorn any cartridge into any platform and have it run fine.

About 1,000 trouble free rounds through mine.

Any reported issues with the DVC limited? I have played around on here seeing what people are saying. And most seems to be the normal and sometimes subjective problems.

I have about 1K through mine now (40S&W). I load to 1.160 and it runs fine. Just shot the Mid-Atlantic Sectional last Saturday. Gun was flawless; shooter was not. :P

I'm very happy with it. My teammate finished right behind me in LTD with an identical gun. Except for a couple of non-chamber-checked rounds not chambering, it ran flawless too. The chambers on these are tight (right at minimum SAMMI specs) and rounds need to be CC'ed to be safe. Might be that the TiN coating adds just enough thickness to make it tight.

Why not? The 1911 is built around a longer cartridge vs the 1.135 SAAMI Max of the .40. Seems to me we're just assuming you should be able to shoehorn any cartridge into any platform and have it run fine.

About 1,000 trouble free rounds through mine.

For me a standard/limited gun should run any types of ammo, long or short for it to be described as flawless. Had this experience before when i forgot my ammo and had to buy fmj's that was loaded with 1.135 oal. no problems at all.

Edited by bonglee0507

The 9mm and 40 cal 2011s need to be tuned to feed long and short ammo.

A properly tuned gun should run anything.

But remember the tolerances where the gun will run any ammo are smaller, so the mags and cleanliness of the gun need to be checked more often. (more the mags)

I called my LGS last night and asked for a status update on the DVC I ordered in July. I was leaning towards canceling the order and either picking up a used SVI or having a custom build done. They called STI and were told it was 4 weeks out.

It showed up at the LGS this morning.

I called my LGS last night and asked for a status update on the DVC I ordered in July. I was leaning towards canceling the order and either picking up a used SVI or having a custom build done. They called STI and were told it was 4 weeks out.

It showed up at the LGS this morning.

There's hope for mine then, ordered it in august.

Several of both types on Gunbroker………………...

There are but that's the best price I've seen on a 9mm open in a while - seem to be running closer to $3,500-$3,600. Hopefully supply catches up by the new year. Edited by peterthefish

finally got my dvc 38 super out for its second time. first time had a bunch of malfs and i was not pleased at all. cleaned the crap out of it and oiled it up and it ran perfectly today with me and four others shooting it. one guy had one malf but pretty sure he was riding the slide. 250+ rounds with three different mags. super happy now!

My DVC .40 next to my trusty Trojan. Shot it last night in a 1-stage match. Lots of failures to return to battery. I guess it needs some break in, maybe some longer ammo (I was using factory Aguila 180gr stuff).

Try some longer loaded handloads. I can't vouch for whether or not mine works with factory as I've not even tried it, but with my handloads its been flawless.

Brand new? How many rounds though it before the match? Stock spring? Stock mags? What's the OAL of the Aguila ammo? Major FP ammo?

Had about 20 rounds thru it before the match. 12 lb Wilson spring instead of the stock 14#. 2 Stock mags and 1 SV mag with grams guts. I am not sure of the OAL, I can try to measure it tonight, certainly looked short. It was 180gr, at ~1400 FPS according to the specs on the box.

40sw180fmjaguila-50-a.jpg

Brand new? How many rounds though it before the match? Stock spring? Stock mags? What's the OAL of the Aguila ammo? Major FP ammo?

Had about 20 rounds thru it before the match. 12 lb Wilson spring instead of the stock 14#. 2 Stock mags and 1 SV mag with grams guts. I am not sure of the OAL, I can try to measure it tonight, certainly looked short. It was 180gr, at ~1400 FPS according to the specs on the box.

Aguila is hot stuff, but that's gotta be a typo on either your part or theirs (on the box). 180gr at 1400 FPS is 252 PF. Lets just say that IF your gun didn't 'asplode you'd be beating the snot out of the frame with a 12 lb spring :).

Aguila is hot stuff, but that's gotta be a typo on either your part or theirs (on the box). 180gr at 1400 FPS is 252 PF. Lets just say that IF your gun didn't 'asplode you'd be beating the snot out of the frame with a 12 lb spring :).

Now that I think about it, yeah...that's pretty wild. I better verify tonight. The 180gr part I'm sure of at least

40sw180fmjaguila-50-a.jpgn't

I wonder if the 12 pound main spring didn't contribute to the failure to return to battery? Less stored energy with a new tight gun? It would be interesting to put the 14 pound spring in and see if it solves the problem while the gun is breaking in... ;)
Edited by Chutist