Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Chamiopship - Official

Shooting AM 2 without having to move to get to the left plate was a least 10 to 12 steps.Also took a no shoot plate out of the picture,that's a big deal.

Like I side before, I ran all the way to the left and took the shot. I was still in the top 5 for that stage. If it would've stayed I would've placed 2nd overall. It's AM and we didn't loose a prize over it since it was random draw and nobody lost the match over it since the overall winner was like 7% ahead of 2nd place and the problem was pointed out before anyone fired a shot on Friday. No big deal, it didn't cost anybody anything. That was the least of most shooters problems on that stage. Edited by Superpipe9

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask you this. You didn't shoot through snow fence but thought it was ok to shoot through a pallet blowing a hole in it?

You obviously didn't watch my video of that stage. ;-)

Wasn't saying you just the guys that thought it ok to blast the wall.

Great match and many thanks to those that worked so hard to put this match together. Fourth time shooting the Rock Pro-Am(Pro side) and enjoy it every time. One of the things that keep me coming back is the RO's . I have only shot east of the Mississippi , but these are some of the best RO's in the business. Every where you go now has pretty good stages,

but it is the RO's that are usually the deciding factor on if I want to return to a match.........hope to see you guys next year :cheers:

Great match and many thanks to those that worked so hard to put this match together. Fourth time shooting the Rock Pro-Am(Pro side) and enjoy it every time. One of the things that keep me coming back is the RO's . I have only shot east of the Mississippi , but these are some of the best RO's in the business. Every where you go now has pretty good stages,

but it is the RO's that are usually the deciding factor on if I want to return to a match.........hope to see you guys next year :cheers:

thanks ! I love to RO and meet new people.

Thank You Benelli for the 3Gun M2 off the PRO Open table. Now I can afford to use a Benelli!.

Thank You all other sponsors.

Thanks Brownells and Rockcastle for putting on the match.

Thanks RO's , Staff, etc for running the match.

My Rant has to do with target presentation. PRO Stage 6 was a killer for the first squad that shot it(yes our squad), especially the first half of the squad.

We basically cleared the crap in the way for the next squad and so on and so on until I'm sure squads could hit most of the plates from anywhere.

PRO Stage 7 and 8 Bays. In the morning half the plates are in the sun and the back plates are not. Shoot a little bit and the smoke clouds the plates and they blend into the berm even w clear lenses.

I would suggest cutting down some trees behind the berms to allow sunlight in and maybe a little more wind.

I am grateful to have the opportunity to shoot any match. I am just saying it would be more enjoyable for everyone if the target presentation was a little more equal.

Nick

How can attendance be down 20% if the match fills up in 20 seconds.

Everyone signs up then bails out 8 months later and nobody backfills like they used to. 2 years ago I cancelled a week prior and got a refund because people were jumping off the wait list. My guess is that with all the new matches shooters simply choose to go shoot another major rather then hope to get off the wait list.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I clamped my GoPro IN the first car on pro2 and let it roll for all of squad 10. I follow the only pro DQ of the match. Steve got a high grip on the rifle and his middle finger snuck in the trigger guard to let one loose in the barrel.

Bruce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVLmNnnTZ7A&feature=youtu.be

. Well done Bruce. Looks pretty cool

I left this match disappointed.

This was my fourth year in a row shooting the amateur match. One of my squad-mates put it best and I agree with him… “For the first time I don’t feel like I got my money’s worth.” To give you a little perspective on where I am coming from, I took four days off of work, drove 11 hours (each way, plus stops) and paid for 4 nights in a hotel to attend the match. This is my one “big 3 gun match” each year since my vacation days and free time are usually tied up in USPSA pistol matches and other hobbies.

I have taken the time and money every year to drive to Rockcastle for the pro-am instead of shooting a match closer to home or somewhere I have friends living nearby because it was more than just a match. It was a whole weekend with things happening in addition to a fun match with great ROs. I got to shoot side matches like the crazy quail, machine gun shoot, long range steel challenge in thunder valley and of course, the cave shoot. I got to see and shoot new guns like the Versa-Max competition and the Para or whatever was next to it that year. I got to visit all kinds of vendors and look at products in person I might be interested in. I got dinner(s) paid for by sponsors. I came for the whole experience rather than solely the match.

This year was a letdown. There were side matches on the map published a few days before the match which were not being held and we were not notified of. The schedule, also from a few days before the match showed the “sponsored dinner” on Saturday but when I show up I am told it was $10. It baffles my how these things were not sorted out earlier when there was 8 months between the match announcement and the match. There were no swag bags at sign-in. Many of the vendors I am used to visiting were not there. There wasn’t even a website until a few days before the match which I realize has been addressed in this thread. This match was supposed to be bigger and better than ever but sorry, it missed that mark by a long shot. Yes, the match was fun but it did not live up to my expectations nor several of the other amateur shooters I asked. It felt more like a club match than a major event except I get lunch at a club match. I hope next year you make some changes because this match is about to be lost in the white noise of local and regional matches.

With all that said I hope this is taken as constructive criticism. That is what it is meant to be.

Lastly, thank you to the ROs who made shooting the stages fun. Also, thank you to Linda for doing the stats and everything else you do, which seems like a lot.

Edited by darkvibe

Sincere thanks go out to all of the sponsors that helped make this match happen. I personally would like to extend extra gratitude to the fine folks I met and talked to from: WMD guns, Voodoo Tactical, Troy, and Hiperfire. I also would like to thank the entire Rockcastle crew, RO's, and Linda Chico for doing the tasks that I would dread.

Honest feedback time....

First, let me say that (like darkvibe) I have shot this match every year since inception. I also have a crew of three other guys (who do not frequent the forums) that travel and shoot together. We all agreed that this was a fun match, but it lacked in the overall experience from previous iterations.

I'll simply state that I agree with darkvibe on numerous points. I always hype this match to new shooters as "the" match to shoot if you can only afford/choose one. There were quite a few disappointments from our group. Some may say that we have just been spoiled by previous Pro-Am's, but to me if you are going to set the bar to a certain level, then you really need to keep it at that level (especially if the match fees go North).

1. No shooter's bag with SWAG - Did NRA not donate this year? I'm a member and will be contacting them directly on this point.

2. No side matches - Vendor interest waned or not enough RO staff to pull it off?

3. TNVC cave shoot - Why did this not happen?

4. Sponsored dinner - "sponsored" for $10?

5. Missing vendors - We really missed DSG Arms this year....I will be contacting them directly.

I know some of this is probably explained with the fact that AR15.com is no longer involved, and they might have taken the NRA support with them (along with possibly TNVC...).

I really want to shoot this match next year, but I'll be honest....it's not looking good unless someone can convince me that the normal tone/expectations will return. I'm not trying to manufacture drama, and I hope this is seen as constructive criticism from a group of shooter's who want to come back.

Bottom line: We all enjoyed ourselves (because shooting is fun!), and I hope we can be convinced to return.

Godspeed,
-C

I left this match disappointed.

This was my fourth year in a row shooting the amateur match. One of my squad-mates put it best and I agree with him… “For the first time I don’t feel like I got my money’s worth.” To give you a little perspective on where I am coming from, I took four days off of work, drove 11 hours (each way, plus stops) and paid for 4 nights in a hotel to attend the match. This is my one “big 3 gun match” each year since my vacation days and free time are usually tied up in USPSA pistol matches and other hobbies.

I have taken the time and money every year to drive to Rockcastle for the pro-am instead of shooting a match closer to home or somewhere I have friends living nearby because it was more than just a match. It was a whole weekend with things happening in addition to a fun match with great ROs. I got to shoot side matches like the crazy quail, machine gun shoot, long range steel challenge in thunder valley and of course, the cave shoot. I got to see and shoot new guns like the Versa-Max competition and the Para or whatever was next to it that year. I got to visit all kinds of vendors and look at products in person I might be interested in. I got dinner(s) paid for by sponsors. I came for the whole experience rather than solely the match.

This year was a letdown. There were side matches on the map published a few days before the match which were not being held and we were not notified of. The schedule, also from a few days before the match showed the “sponsored dinner” on Saturday but when I show up I am told it was $10. It baffles my how these things were not sorted out earlier when there was 8 months between the match announcement and the match. There were no swag bags at sign-in. Many of the vendors I am used to visiting were not there. There wasn’t even a website until a few days before the match which I realize has been addressed in this thread. This match was supposed to be bigger and better than ever but sorry, it missed that mark by a long shot. Yes, the match was fun but it did not live up to my expectations nor several of the other amateur shooters I asked. It felt more like a club match than a major event except I get lunch at a club match. I hope next year you make some changes because this match is about to be lost in the white noise of local and regional matches.

With all that said I hope this is taken as constructive criticism. That is what it is meant to be.

Lastly, thank you to the ROs who made shooting the stages fun. Also, thank you to Linda for doing the stats and everything else you do, which seems like a lot.

Darkvibe put into words much of what I was feeling as well. This, my first, attendence at the Pro-AM was driven by hearing about much of what was mentioned above but no where to be seen. While, I did enjoy the match, the shooters, the ROs, and the fellowship at the conclusion of the day, I thought I would get more out of the experience. I shot AM expecting the stages to be straightforward (which they were) thinking there would be side matches and 'pro tips' set up throughout the day. I thought I'd shoot A LOT more rounds than I did. I expected more vendors there-because of previous years.

I am very thankful for the support that was present. Appreciate the beverages provided by 5.11. I wasn't too concerned about the prize table (I received some very cool stuff and am thankful to CMT, VDI, KE, CMC, and Troy) and it didn't motivate me to go to the match. Appreciate the efforts of the match staff, their time, their passion.

I had a great time and made the best of it, shot rather pedestrian but that's only my lack of practice, expectations were just a little different. I'd shoot it again however.

Mine was cancelled after they checked my credentials.

Plus the only person signed up was Dillen TooEasley.

I'll admit to some social loafing here. I didn't want to post-I'll be there-on this forum, and neither saw, nor searched for sign ups. Should have PM'd you directly. But was thinking that information would be provided at the head shed. Poor assertiveness on my part and was thinking I'd just show up. Appreciate you stepping forward Jesse, only pro I was aware of at least acknowledging the clinic.

I heard that even some of Pro Clinics didn't happen. Sad to see that it is slipping a bit.

I was looking forward to the class on how to pick out high end hair gel and how to custom bedazzle my $300 skinny jeans.

Wow, I thought I was the only one. I thought about starting a new thread asking where I can find a match that had everything the first Pro/Am had 5 years ago. Obviously the shooting is the main reason we come, but all the other stuff makes the experience complete. All the vendors, Larue's smoker with brisket & sausage, the side matches, cool bag schwag, and on and on. It's just about reaching a breaking point for experience per $$ spent. Obviously others are feeling the same, since attendance was down by over 100 shooters. What is the solution? I don't really want to hunt for a new match cause this one is relatively close. Since Ft. Benning ended, this is my once a year big 3 gun match.

I'll admit to some social loafing here. I didn't want to post-I'll be there-on this forum, and neither saw, nor searched for sign ups. Should have PM'd you directly. But was thinking that information would be provided at the head shed. Poor assertiveness on my part and was thinking I'd just show up. Appreciate you stepping forward Jesse, only pro I was aware of at least acknowledging the clinic.

Incorrect- Team Samson was at the bays as scheduled for our clinic at 6pm on Saturday. Sign ups for the clinics were posted on the glass next to the main entrance door to the lodge lobby.

I heard that even some of Pro Clinics didn't happen. Sad to see that it is slipping a bit.

Wrong all around Jesse. Some of the disappointed shooters who had signed up for your clinic went over to join the Jordan/Thacker clinic that was being held a few bays away. Some were simply disappointed and expressed that to me & to RM Joe Harris. The staff at Rockcastle & the staff of the match had no notice that you were not going to be at your clinic. Late that evening, when I had time to browse internet stuff, I saw that you announced you were cancelling on this forum during the afternoon. Not sure who you thought was monitoring social media or gun forums during the match.

Disappointed does not begin to cover it for me.