Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mobil 1 really?

BOOM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always run Mobil 1 (5-30) in the car always keep a spare quart for emergency. Again just looking for a oil that will keep the hot carbon gases from sticking to the bolt carrier group. It seems wrong when its not specified for gun use, but you all say its the real deal, and I'll keep my eyes open for some Purple ATF to try a 50/50 mix

Happy New Year To ALL :cheers:

Anyone tried the Mobil 1 Synth V-Twin 20w-50?

No, but I have used the 15w-50 for pistols, and blend 50/50, or use straight Mobil 1 ATF on ARs and semi shotguns. I wouldn't expect for minor variations in formula to make much of a difference in our application. I used to measure it out with syringes and mix, now I just grab whatever is closest on the bench.

Regular 4 stroke motorcycle oil- the kind you use in a bike with a wet clutch- has less slippery stuff to keep the clutch happy. Not sure if the V-Twin oil has a similar formulation. I just use regular Mobil 1.

I may switch soon though, I have heard Royal Purple takes 3 hundredths off of your splits...

Kurtm & Trapr have semi-auto shotgun lube down to a simple science. I squadded with them at 2014 Nordic shotgun match in MN where we shot in mud, rain, and sand. Their shotguns ran flawlessly and I was impressed after talking with them about their lube method.

I have been hunting in -12F to 10F degree weather and using and testing the Lucas Oil Extreme Duty lube. I used to go dry or with a home-brew, but this oil performs extremely well in harsh conditions. I took my 16" AR along and slapped the suppressor on it. I shot 80 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger then moved about 1/2 mile to a new set-up. After calling for about twenty minutes, I got an animal coming in and pressed the trigger and everything that was supposed to happen did and the next round was in battery.

Heating up an AR in -10F degrees with 80 rounds in 20 seconds with a suppressor is harsh. In many cases, the moisture will suck into the action and freeze up, but not this time. I have since run several more tests and the Extreme Lucas oil is now in use on a bunch of my personal guns. I have not tested any oil that made it through all of my tests without something I did not like, but the Extreme Duty Lucas Oil has. We are going to start supplying all of our uppers with a bottle of Lucas oil once we get our order.

Edited by MarkCO

Mark, I have Lucas gun oil, it does not say extreme anywhere. Is this a new product , or a new label design? Mine is red, and looks to be about the same viscosity as ATF . I have used it to roughly -15 and have been pleased.

Edited by bmiller

Red is the standard. It is made for hunting rifles, odorless, and yes red. The Extreme Duty is made for Semi and FA use. It is different, and better than the red for ARs and shotgun carriers and bolts. The Extreme is blue and smells like grapes. Also testing their contact cleaner and metal polish.

Beacon Laboratory (Texaco) developed a synthetic oil in the 60's-70's specifically for the nuclear industry. Normal oils would break down (covalent bonds) in high flux fields. The oil developed is very close (polymer-wise) to Mobil 1 and the other synthetics today. With the objectives to provide lubrication and remove carbon residue in high temperature/pressure engines, most synthetic oils do a very good job and work well in guns.

IMHO - You pay for the bottle and name-brand for most oils sold in gun shops.

Kurtm & Trapr have semi-auto shotgun lube down to a simple science. I squadded with them at 2014 Nordic shotgun match in MN where we shot in mud, rain, and sand. Their shotguns ran flawlessly and I was impressed after talking with them about their lube method.

Don't leave us hanging like that! Details, please.

Go back a page, Kurt uses LSA as does his brother Eric. I believe Trapr does also.

Go back a page, Kurt uses LSA as does his brother Eric. I believe Trapr does also.

Thanks, I thought I'd read the whole thread, but I must of missed it the first time through.....