Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS Weight Question

copecowboy22

I'm thinking of getting a Dawson ICE magwell for my single stack gun. This question I have is about the weight. I'm running a Springfield Loaded Operator basically stock. 2 piece guide rod and all. I'm running Wilson ETM mags. Right now I've got the Wilson speed chute magwell. My worry is with the rail and the magwell will put me over weight. I don't have access to a scale that measures that small and I don't think the post office will weigh it for me. Any help?

A big variable is going to be the grips. Dawson makes different weight ICE setups. Also, caliber, guide rod material, etc can affect the outcome.

My 45 did not have a rail, and made it easily with the ICE, the ETM mags with the no gap pads, and a full length steel guide rod using thin plastic grips. I switched to aluminum guide rod because I liked it better, and then a caliber change... but I digress.

The short answer is that if you are spending the money to go to a match where they will weigh and chrono, get it weighed. You can get a decent kitchen scale (mine is an Ozeri from amazon) for less than $13. Well worth the investment for peace of mind!

Got a 9mm Loaded with EGW magwell, GI recoil system and wood grips comes in at 41.6 oz. Not sure if that tells you anything, but the 9mm barrel is thick walled and that FLGR is pretty weighty.

I also use Metalform mags with plastic bases. Lighter than aluminum.

Edited by robertg5322

Don't think you will have a problem with the aluminum version of the ICE magwell. I have one on my .40 and 9mm Trojan and both come in under weight. The .40 has VZ Operator II grips.

Yup you can get a kitchen scale at Walmart for not much. I use my wife's to weigh mine LOL

Put the gun in an envelope, take to post office, weigh said envelope with gun inside, then weigh another, separate, empty envelope. Subtract "B" from "A", total weight of gun.

I think if I was going to do this I would take the gun apart and weigh the frame separate and not have both envelopes inside at the same time.

Edited by z40acp

Depends on length of the rail. App D5, line 23 "permitted features"

•External extractors, firing pin blocks, and other factory safety features.

•Duplicating features that are on a factory, massed produced slide available to the general public.

•Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover.

Well my wife got her a nice kitchen scale. :goof: My Springfield Loaded Operator (steel frame) as is with the Wilson speed chute came in at 2lbs 11ozs. If I remember my elementary math thats 43ozs right. Then I took off the WIlson steel MSH and magwell and it was 2lbs and 8ozs (40 right). Dawson says its aluminum one weighs 1.5ozs. So I think I'm good. At least enough to order one and try. FYI this was weighed with a Wilson ETM mag.

copecowboy, This is exactly what I did before I went to nationals last year. I went with the aluminum one (replacing a steel Smith and Alexander) and it came in under weight. I recommend the no gap in white, nothing to catch on, and the big white insert with a blake hole in the middle makes a great target for the new mag. /you will have to get new base pads with the no gap insert, but worth it in my opinion.

Good luck at nationals. Bring your DEET, there were ticks everywhere last year.

that should make weight with the Dawson alum Ice. Remember a little for the main spring and plungers. Probably didn't get weighed when you pulled your MSH off.

Check and double check everything

I went last year and had a ball but several guys got scored minor cause their loads didn't make major at the chrono

And a few went open cause of guns that didn't fit box or make weight etc.

Double check your holster and pouches for distance off the belts etc

See you there!!!!

Shoot great and enjoy the match!!!

I have a box, you can try your gun before you go. If you haven't ordered the magwell yet stop buy sometime with your scale and we can toss my techwell on your gun and weigh it. I've not used the dawson and am sure its good too, but the techwell is unbelievably better than the S&A type. I just tried them side by side (and you can too), and you won't believe the difference.

I did have all the springs and parts on the scale just not the MSH itself and magwell. Jerome bring your box to Coleman in two weeks so I can double check it. You missed a good match today at Double Tap. I took 5th overall with a single stack gun!