Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Look Over My 650 Order -- Missing Anything?

I've been reloading single stage for a while now, so I've got more than everything I'd need there. I just placed an order for a 650 that I want to be setup for 45 and 223 loading initially. I've pasted the items from my order below.

How's it look? Missing anything? Would you add anything?

Thanks in advance.

1 16926 Dillon XL 650 in 45 ACP(@ $ 566.95 ea.) $566.95

1 20056 4-Pack - 2 Small & 2 Large Primer Pickup Tu(@ $ 23.95 ea.) $23.95

1 21080 Casefeed Assembly - Large Pistol (650/1050)(@ $ 218.95 ea.) $218.95

1 14404 Dillon 45 ACP/GAP Carbide 3-Die Set(@ $ 63.95 ea.) $63.95

1 11555 650 Toolholder with Wrench Set(@ $ 29.95 ea.) $29.95

1 BE650 650 - As it should BE - Upgrade(@ $ 128.95 ea.) $128.95

1 19484 650 Press Instructional DVD(@ $ 19.95 ea.) $19.95

1 10443 650 Machine Cover(@ $ 39.95 ea.) $39.95

1 21101 XL 650 Caliber Conv: 223 Rem/5.56(@ $ 77.95 ea.) $77.95

1 22059 650 Deluxe Quick Change Kit(@ $ 107.95 ea.) $107.95

1 21074 Casefeed Plate - Small Rifle (650/1050)(@ $ 38.95 ea.) $38.95

1 21065 650 Priming Assem. Quick-Change - Small(@ $ 80.95 ea.) $80.95

looks good, enjoy making high quality ammo really fast!

Thanks. I hope the quality can come close to the Co-Ax and Big Boss it'll be sitting next to!

Don't forget case lube and stuff if you don't have it.

I've always had some Dillon lube on hand :) Since I bought the carbide 45 dies...assuming I won't need it there though, right?

I don't necessarily like Dillon dies in 9mm, .40, and .45.

Station #1: Evolution Gun Works/Lee undersize die

Station #2: Dillon's proprietary powder through die

Station #3: empty, yes, nothing in this slot

Station #4: Redding Micrometer Adjustable bullet seating die

Station #5: Lee Factory Crimp die

Primer flip tray, scale, and caliper. Then don't forget all the necessaries for the brass cleaning if you do not already have.

Make sure you order from our gracious host! Click on the Store tab and then the Dillon Precision tab.

In case you need further incentive.....................Brian personally will review you order and advise if anything is missing or if not needed. ALSO, $16.99 for shipping on orders of $300 or more.

Thanks. I hope the quality can come close to the Co-Ax and Big Boss it'll be sitting next to!

I've always had some Dillon lube on hand :) Since I bought the carbide 45 dies...assuming I won't need it there though, right?

carbide dies not needing lube is misconception...I always use case lube. Try both with and without lube and you will see what I mean.

good choice of loader!

jj

I don't necessarily like Dillon dies in 9mm, .40, and .45.

Station #1: Evolution Gun Works/Lee undersize die

Station #2: Dillon's proprietary powder through die

Station #3: empty, yes, nothing in this slot

Station #4: Redding Micrometer Adjustable bullet seating die

Station #5: Lee Factory Crimp die

Thanks for the feedback. I'll spend some more time looking into Redding versus Dillon 45 dies.

So...will I need a powder through die for my 223? Don't have one.

I'm actually planning on using my Redding Indicator die in a slot for my 223.

Primer flip tray, scale, and caliper. Then don't forget all the necessaries for the brass cleaning if you do not already have.

Make sure you order from our gracious host! Click on the Store tab and then the Dillon Precision tab.

In case you need further incentive.....................Brian personally will review you order and advise if anything is missing or if not needed. ALSO, $16.99 for shipping on orders of $300 or more.

Got all of those.

And this is all being ordered through Brian. How long does he typically take to ship?

carbide dies not needing lube is misconception...I always use case lube. Try both with and without lube and you will see what I mean.

good choice of loader!

jj

Thanks. Will do. Never really reloaded pistol...started with rifle and never left. So I'm sure I'll have some more to learn.

Chrono .... :cheers:

Magnetospeed was under the tree yesterday replacing my Pro Chrono Digital. :)

Oh wow, never noticed the shipping charges changed.

To me, the DVD and toolholder with wrenches are unnecessary. there are so many Youtube videos on how the machine works and how it gets set up that you can watch these for the next few days and almost know exactly how the machine is supposed to work. the printed instructional manual is almost perfect as well and if you take your time, the 650 will make a perfect round on your first attempt.

Don't care for Dillon first stage size die and use a Lee standard size die. Lee's seating die has a small knob on top for slight adjustments.

Dillon dies have large mouths so the press will run faster. Lee's size die will size closer to the extractor groove and a little tighter.

Have a 45 with a tight chamber the Dillon dies might not size the budge out of the base of the brass.

Might purchase a Lee Carbide set from Mid Way they run them on sale quite often. Lee's dies may need to be locked from the bottom of the tool

head. I would purchase extra Dillon nuts as Lee's locking nuts are weak. Using a Dillon seating die with slight amount taken off the sides of

the large insert so tne die pushes on the nose of the bullet and not the sides,

Don't care what the box says always use a little case lube makes the whole process easier on the brass, dies, press and the operator.

On a 650 like the roller handle and strong mount. The little spring that works the shell plate advancement has broken on mine a few

times and it's easier to work on with the strong mount lifting the press up.

Set the press up in a well lighted area. Purchased a lamp from Lowe's that clamps on the frame for mine. Might look on E Bay at Dillon

650 for lights and other items you may like. Have the roller cam follower and shell plate bearing on mine.

good choice of loader!

jj

Incorrect. While the carbide rifle dies still require lube, the carbide pistol dies DO NOT need lubing at all. I reload 9mm and no problems whatsoever.

Save yourself a bunch of time and don't worry about lubing straight walled cases when running a carbide dies.

As for others stating that the Dillon dies are no good, well… opinions are like… you know. I personally have had amazing experience with their dies. I consider them to be some of the best. I would not blink to buy more. And with Dillon customer service being what it is, you have no worries.

To the OP, I would get a powder check die and some extra ammo Akrobins. Having the powder check die for the .45 caliber reloading is good since the powders are so small and you do not want to double or squib load anything. That powder check die already found 2 errors that have saved my bacon. Good luck and it is good to see someone who is serious about reloading.

good choice of loader!

jj

Incorrect. While the carbide rifle dies still require lube, the carbide pistol dies DO NOT need lubing at all. I reload 9mm and no problems whatsoever.

Save yourself a bunch of time and don't worry about lubing straight walled cases when running a carbide dies.

......well… opinions are like… you know.

Like you said, opinions...

I will bet that if you tried lube, even with wimpy 9mm cases, you would have a tendency to keep lubing them...if you don't want to say in public that you changed to lubing, well, I won't tell anyone...

save a bunch of time? pleezzzee...10 seconds to squirt them down with lube, and 15 minutes in the tumbler...wow

But if you really want to force your way thru them, rattling everything off your loading bench that is not nailed down and ending up with tennis elbow after 1000 pulls and getting inconsistently sized cases, who am I to criticize? ever tried 40 or 45 without lube? I won't do it.

I prefer lubing all pistol brass, and there is no reason not to. its easier on me, my machine, and my loads show it. :cheers:

jmho...

jj

You will want some extra prier tubes. once you start loading you will want to keep going. I regularly go through 4-600 primers in a loading season, and hate stopping to load primers. Also, although broken part are replaced for free, it takes time to order them and get them in. you can't go working with ordering the parts kit.

The spare parts kit can save an evening of loading... springs wear out and small parts get misplaced. Many times I've opened the spare parts kit after a minor issue and kept on loading. A quick email to Dillon and few days later parts arrive to replenish my spare parts kit.

The powder check is nice option especially if you're just getting started with the 650. I quit using it after the fifty thousand rounds loaded without a hitch and put a bullet feeder in the empty hole.

I lube pistol brass because the press just plain runs smoother. A smoother running progressive press will create more consistent ammo. Better ammo is the reason I lube my pistol brass.

I would say get the DVD. Most utube videos don't go into much detail about adjusting dies. I used mine a lot as that was all I had and was new to reloading. Plus it gives you piece of mind seeing exactly what your doing. I had a portable DVD player and kept it on the bench and set up side by side.

Thanks for the input guys.

I got the DVD just so that I can have a visual reference if needed. I know that there are a lot of YouTube videos out there...if rather take it from the horse's mouth.

The cover should serve me good for a while. I load in my garage and don't have (immediate) plans for a bullet feeder.

I think your at just where I was a year ago. PM me if you want some recent newbie questions answered. This 650 really had me intimidated until I went through the video side by side a few times. I was new to reloading but now I do .40, .45, and .223. I still go a it slow and checking and weighing to many yet but I can still crank out 100-200 rds. Per 1/2 hour.

Edited by Mikelindsey