Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starter OPEN Gun

Trunkmnky

Hello All,

I am debating on a USPSA Open Gun. Looking to shoot 9mm major. However, I would like the ability to tone it down too and shoot steel. I have 3 guns in mind.

1. SJC Glock 17 in which I would build - http://stores.sjcguns.com/sjc-open-pistol-9mm-minor-major-pkg-build/
2. STI Steel Master - http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-steel-master/
3. STI Match Master - http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-match-master/

I prefer the 4.26 just for balance alone. I really like the steel master but am worried running major loads. It should just be a spring change. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Cost is kind of a concern.

Cost wise - Glock would be about 1500.00 cheaper than the other two.

Thoughts??????

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: Get a STI Tru Bor in 9mm. Use a 8lb ISMI recoil spring and shoot major and minor loads. I built a Glock open pistol and moved on. I have shot a Steelmaster and Match Master. The Tru Bor is a much better gun than both for major. You can tune it as you get to know what you like in a open pistol. Lighten slide etc. STI will have better resale value also. Thanks, Eric

I remember seeing a trubor on here about 2 weeks ago loaded under 2k$, patience is your friend!

And call the dealers and ask about demo guns, have seen some excellent demos go for very fair prices.

If you get into the game more you will soon realize that many have tried Glocks because of the cost and moved on to bigger and better guns. So either find a good used or a new STI based gun such as the tru bor. I think you will be happier in the end. Believe me, I too know that cost is always a concern. That's why I wouldn't dump money into a Glock only to try to recoup some of it after you get to test drive a real Open gun someday. Get ahold of the guys at Shooter's Connection if you can only swing a stock factory gun right now. It will be a solid platform for years that you can build on and tweak with other parts, send to get hard chromed etc. If you can swing a little more a Dawson tuned trubor would be a little better trigger and have a few aftermarket parts etc. Of course if you want a gun that you won't have to worry about at all for several thousand rounds and can swing the funds give Matt Cheely a call at ccgunworks.com. If you just want to test the waters buy one of those guns with "a million" rounds on it from a reliable seller here on these forums. You can trust the guys here who have been around awhile far more than you can anywhere else.

As you can see there are lots of options. Good luck.

Edited to add I would recommend a full size gun and not a shorty. Especially as a first gun. Seems those have faded out a little which probably says something about them? Not sure.

Edited by Sarge

Yeah. That is what I worry about with the glock. Resale and wanting something more. I hear it alot just buy something better. So there has to be truth to it.

I never even thought about demo guns. I will also check the forum again. You are right patients is your friend. I liked the shorter barrels just for the balance. I and shooting a custom 2011 in 45 now in limited 10 and also run and STI eagle in 40. The shorter gun seems more balanced. However, you are right I don't see any of them. Seems to me the trubor or similiar guns would be front heavy with the 5" barrel and another 1" plus with comp. I never really liked long barreled guns nor shot them well with any speed. ( or maybe I just don't shoot with any speed period. hahaha )

As for CCgunworks great looking pistols however, I don't want to have to get a 2nd mortgage. hahahah

Again, I would just be a begginger in open.

Thanks for all the assistance. Very good ideas. I must say.

It's good to hear the voices of reason. :-)

Keep in mind the full size Open guns can have titanium comps on them that weigh next to nothing. Slides can be and typically are lightened way up as time and funds permit. These equate to much easier and smotther transitions than you might be imagining. Is there a way you can try to find a few shooters willing to let you put some rounds through their open guns? That would be a great start.

The trouble with short barreled Open guns is that they take more powder to make major, so they can get downright nasty.

You're right that a full sized gun with a 5.4" bull barrel and steel comp steers like a battleship, but if you use a Ti comp, a lightened slide and a fluted barrel (or better yet a bushing barrel/cone adapter), you can make a full sized gun swing like a shorty. During load development you'll appreciate an extra inch of barrel.

Had a Matchmaster, sold it. Like my 5" gun better. Second the advise to get a Trubor. Watch for used, good deals to be had there.

Hello: You want a full size open gun. If the world champ can drive one so can you. The Tru Bor is a great starting place as you are learning what you like. I have progressed a couple along to make a great open gun out of them. Thanks, Eric

You have been given some great advise from people who have been there and done that. You can normally find a good deal on a full size open from a well known person on the forum. You can change the recoil spring and shoot steel or major.

Well, Seems like trubor has the vote.

Sarge - Thanks for the post on USPSA. I appreciate it. :-)

I would also like to thanks everyone for there help and insight. Does anyone know any place that honors STI dealer pricing?

Merry Christmas all.

Jeff

Thanks Sarge - I checked it out. Seems by the time I had the slide fitted and coated - I would only be a few hundred off a new one. I will have to pass one it.

Really appreciate it though.

jeff

PM sent

I would recommend that you take the dive and do it correctly the first time. I started with a Tanfoligo and hated it. By the time I got it running I was very disheartened. Then I bought a TrueBor and spent another $1,200 in shipping parts and labor to trick it out and still was not able to do what I wanted. to make a long story short I am on my 5th open gun and finally got what I wanted. I have three at this time and will be selling one of my backups soon. I am considering a duplicate of my new gun as the backup so I can go down to two guns.

I would recommend Want 2 Race or Dan Bedell as builders if you are going to shoot open.

Definately in the price range. Though, I prefer a 9mm so I don't have to spend a fortune in Brass. It's much easier to leave 9mm brass on the ground than 38 Super.

A new barrel and extractor would be pretty cheap...and then you'd actually have 2 calibers in open....just get some spacers for the mags...