Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starter OPEN Gun

Trunkmnky

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about 3200 in mine with out magazines. But the infinity hybrid barrel and infinity titanium comp were very expensive. That's a 330 dollar barrel and a 328 dollar comp. I think I'm going to build a new top end with a bull barrel and a binary engineering comp. That would cost less than the hybrid barrel.

Edited by djt5656

He also backs up his work. I only live about 30 minutes from him. If I have any problem he tells me to bring the gun to him after a match on Saturday's. Not that I've had any problems that weren't my fault like clicking up the safety during firing and breaking it off or my ammo.

If recommend 38s over 9mm all day everyday and then some. The 9mm is a very snappy major pf with some ok powders. There are a lot more powder that will utilize a comp better in 38. 38 is far superior to 9 major in everyway except brass cost. And you can still find decent deals on 38. the trade off for cheap brass is not worth it in my opinion.

If recommend 38s over 9mm all day everyday and then some. The 9mm is a very snappy major pf with some ok powders. There are a lot more powder that will utilize a comp better in 38. 38 is far superior to 9 major in everyway except brass cost. And you can still find decent deals on 38. the trade off for cheap brass is not worth it in my opinion.

Edited since it may have sounded rude. So sorry.

Edited by Sarge

For me it is simple - I have approx 20k pieces of 9mm and 3 of 38 Super. :roflol:

Outside of that I would have no idea as I am still a semi newbie in the sport. I would assume it is not bullets weight as there are some heavy 9mm bulets out there ( I know xtreme bullets just started to sell 9mm in 165gr. )

Oh they are taking over? Where all the major matches I shoot at and locals I see none. It's my opinion. 38 is far superior to 9mm. Your opinion is different than mine.

9 out of 10 Open guns built today are probably 9's. At the Majors I shoot at and the locals around here only a few dinosaurs shoot 38. I tried to keep a count at the last Area match I worked but it was so overwhelmingly obvious that 9MAJOR was the caliber of choice that I quit counting. Have talked to many 38 shooters who said the only reason the keep shooting it is they don't want to spend the money to rebarrel and rework their 38's.

38 is a dying breed.

Edited because I spoke poorly of the moderator team. So sorry.

Edited by Sarge

For me it is simple - I have approx 20k pieces of 9mm and 3 of 38 Super. :roflol:

Outside of that I would have no idea as I am still a semi newbie in the sport. I would assume it is not bullets weight as there are some heavy 9mm bulets out there ( I know xtreme bullets just started to sell 9mm in 165gr. )

No heavy bullets in open, 115-125 usually.

Oh they are taking over? Where all the major matches I shoot at and locals I see none. It's my opinion. 38 is far superior to 9mm. Your opinion is different than mine.

9 out of 10 Open guns built today are probably 9's. At the Majors I shoot at and the locals around here only a few dinosaurs shoot 38. I tried to keep a count at the last Area match I worked but it was so overwhelmingly obvious that 9MAJOR was the caliber of choice that I quit counting. Have talked to many 38 shooters who said the only reason the keep shooting it is they don't want to spend the money to rebarrel and rework their 38's.

38 is a dying breed.

Since the mods have already homed in on me that's about all I'm allowed to say. I won't argue the point any more.

Ok, so you've established that 38 is a dying breed and most people shoot 9major now. But other than brass cost, no one has stated an advantage of 9 over 38 super/supercomp. Still want to know as I am new to open.

Just to stir the pot a little more... :devil:

The last new brass I bought for 38SC wasn't .22 a round, more like a third less than that at .15 a round shipped. Still expensive but not as bad as some people would have you to believe.

I would think one would have more options with powder in the 38SC vs. 9mm major but what do I know? I have never shot or loaded for 9mm Major so I can't speak to that end of it. I do like 38SC though.

Edited by JMike

Call Jeff Abernathy at Tommy Guns. He built my open gun on a sti frame and Caspian slide with infinity hybrid barrel and titanium infinity comp for very resonable. And he has a quick turnaround time. He also does really good chrome work.

+1

Jeff does really nice work and is extremely reasonable price-wise.