Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 9MM problems

Meshach

Ran my sti marauder last weekend at a steel match. Problems started with light primer strikes in the first stage 3-4 and then the gun completely seized up 3rd stage with a round 90% into the chamber the RSO tried prying the slide open with a flat head and dropped the gun (scratched the slide up) putting the gun into battery I then just fired the round off. I then went to the clearing area dissembled and cleaned it, it ran fine from there.

This is my second time shooting the pistol the week prior I shot USPSA approx 130-150 rds and didn't clean it I just lubed it up. I'm using frog lube and shooting 124gr freedom munitions reman. Is there something I am missing? Or just keep it clean and stay away from frog lube?

There could be multiple issues here. Your profile doesn't tell us where you are shooting or what the possible climate might be like. Or, how often you detail strip, clean and lube.

I have heard of issues with Frog Lube in the colder climates and for that reason alone, I don't use it anymore. I am not saying that is your problem, I am simply saying I have stopped using it.

I use a good high quality lubricant like Slick 2000, Cuda Lube or something similar like CLP. As far as cleaning, some days I am completely anal and will clean thoroughly and lube after every match. Some days, not. I will wipe it down and lube it up with the lubricants previously mentioned and have no problems.

I'm shooting open and limited 2011s. Every other match, I detail strip, clean and lube. Be sure you clean and lube the firing pin channel.

It all sounds ammo related to me. I once got a small sample of that particular ammo in a swag bag at a major and half of it was still belled open. Had not been crimped at all. It wouldn't surprise me if there were high primers in the ammo you had along with not being sized right. There is no way frog lube or even axle grease would seize up a round in a chamber.

FYI be careful forcing the slide home with a stick round. It's entirely possible to have had a squib and forcing a round in on top of it would be a bad thing

It all sounds ammo related to me. I once got a small sample of that particular ammo in a swag bag at a major and half of it was still belled open. Had not been crimped at all. It wouldn't surprise me if there were high primers in the ammo you had along with not being sized right. There is no way frog lube or even axle grease would seize up a round in a chamber.

FYI be careful forcing the slide home with a stick round. It's entirely possible to have had a squib and forcing a round in on top of it would be a bad thing

Good advice there Sarge!

So many variables in this matter it is hard to really say. The more I think about it, the more I might lean towards an ammo problem.

I am confused a bit though when the OP said he had fired only 300 rounds. Was that in a brand new gun or since his last cleaning?

It is a brand new gun. I was shooting steel and my previous round hit so I knew there was no squib but I appreciate the knowledge. I guess I over looked ammo, makes sense that the round was not seating entirely. Although after I cleaned then gun it ran fine through the rest of the stages. I'll check the specs on the ammo!

My Springfield 9mm 1911 and STI .40 Eagle will not cycle reliably in cold weather with any thick lubricant. My 45 will. The 9mm is loose, the Eagle tight, and the 45 in between. To guarantee ignition in the 9mm I had to go to an extended firing pin and a 19# mainspring. I don't know what STI put into the Eagle. Please tell me you did not shoot the offending round.

I hope I don't get in trouble for this but Freedom Munitions reman is what I would suspect. I have seen it not feed in a couple of glocks and in the 223 blow primers out with disturbing regularity.

I've been having that trouble with a .45...just wouldn't go into battery sometimes. When I had a .40sw, it happened all the time due to the infamous Glock bulge. I just bought a gauge block and voila, those rounds wouldn't fit into it. Any time you are working with reloads, even professionally done ones, it wouldn't hurt to use a gauge block (seven hole about $20, 100 hole about $100). I don't know much, but that is one hard won lesson I have already learned well.

I've never used Freedom munitions. They advertise that they fully size their casings, but in any manufacturing process, mistakes do happen and it only takes a few minutes to check..

It only takes one bad one to totally screw up a match.

Edited by robport

Ran my sti marauder last weekend at a steel match. Problems started with light primer strikes in the first stage 3-4 and then the gun completely seized up 3rd stage with a round 90% into the chamber the RSO tried prying the slide open with a flat head and dropped the gun (scratched the slide up) putting the gun into battery I then just fired the round off. I then went to the clearing area dissembled and cleaned it, it ran fine from there.

This is my second time shooting the pistol the week prior I shot USPSA approx 130-150 rds and didn't clean it I just lubed it up. I'm using frog lube and shooting 124gr freedom munitions reman. Is there something I am missing? Or just keep it clean and stay away from frog lube?

Is this reload 9mm ammo? I had that problem because the cases were not sized (tapered) and were jamming up like a cork in a wine bottle.

If you have any more ammo "plunk test " it! Drop it in the barrel of your pistol, while the gun is disassembled. Hold bbl. chamber pointing up vertically and just drop the rounds in from about a 1/2 " above the chamber. They should drop in level with the hood of the barrel and should also fall out when you tip the bbl. upside down.

It's a slow process but you'll know for sure if your ammo will fit your chamber that way.

Edited by jcc7x7

the RSO tried prying the slide open with a flat head

The next time you have a stuck round that can't be cleared with usual rack function, try this...grab the slide securely, just above the grip area with your off hand (with muzzle awareness) and then strike the back of the grip with a forward motion, high up/just below the beavertail with the web of your hand. A few raps will usually free a stubborn stuck round...

Hello: Try using some Mobil 1 oil. I use 0W50 for the winter. If it is good enough for Porsche it is good enough for a gun. Lube it up well. I would also chamber check all your ammo. I use the EGW 7 round chamber checker. I bought mine from Shooters Connection. Thanks, Eric

the LEE Factory Crimp Die also helps with bulged ammo.

I have loaded 10's of thousands of rounds.. and now I'm shooting mostly coated lead.. I used to load up a ton of 147gr Zero JHPs in 9mm... took 2 years off from 9mm.. to shoot .40... went back and started loading some Bayou 147's.. all of a sudden, many of them have a bulge on one side of the case.. I might be seating too deep for these bullets.. but I have the EGW undersize die, the Mr. Bullet Feeder expander, Dillon seat and crimp..
I (re) bought the FCD, and put the suspect rounds (found via case gauge) through this in my single stage, and it fixed them all... I tested each one for set-back, no issues, etc.. used them for practice ammo through my G34..

I use the Lee FCD religiously. For my reloads, using the FCD has not affected the accuracy one bit but does affect the reliability of my reloads in a positive way. Eliminated nearly all of my cartridge related FTFs. Every match and practice round goes through the Lee FCD.

For the games most of us play, the minor affect the FCD might have on our accuracy is trivial as best.

I've seen enough bad product from Freedom Munitions first hand to not trust their reman ammo.

As for the cleaning of the gun, I run my eagle about 800-1k rounds between cleanings. I only do a complete stripping about twice a year. If you read up enough on Frog Lube, you'll see that it can do more harm than good.

Edited by v1911

I've shot a lot of it out of Glocks though during classes and practice had no problems but I can see it having issues in the STI and this may lead me to find another source of ammo. For now because I have quite a bit ill chamber check what ammo I'll be shooting like mentioned above.

I've shot a lot of it out of Glocks though during classes and practice had no problems but I can see it having issues in the STI and this may lead me to find another source of ammo.

+1 All barrels are not created equal. The better ones are tighter tolerance and the "service grade" are looser and more forgiving to out of spec ammo.