Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Glasses Recommendation?

nhglyn

I would like to find some shooting glasses that have interchangeable lenses. Want a yellow lens for indoors and low light and also a "sunglass" type lens (polarized) for bright sunny day shooting. Can anyone suggest something and where to buy it? Many thanks.

Oakely, I'm using the m frame for about 9 years now. I tried rudy project but I'm not comfortable. I currently have black iridium, persimon and Hi intensity yellow color. For shooting I'm using the hi intensity yellow and it will improve your vision. Try fitting them when you go to the store.

Jim Shanahan at Advanced Performance Shooting has supported the sport, and he is a major Rudy Project dealer. I have seen him setup at a lot of matches, and he has put a lot of product on those prize tables. I agree, support those who support us, and APS has.

I ran across a glass system that had been catered to the sporting clays market for some time. I'd tried Rudys, but generally wore Oakley M frames. I also changed lenses depending on the situation. I tried this system called Sunbuster. Frames and five lenses at a great price. The lense quality is comparable IMO to the more expensive brands, but the Sunbuster's felt much more comfortable to me. I haven't used anything since. Even sold my Oakley's a while back. Check them out here:

CPWSA Sunbusters

For thpse that gave me a kind word, and Rudy Project the thumbs up...Thanks! I have been deep in hiding while perfecting our newest grip enhancement... we are taking what we learned with 2011's and running with that and new knowledge and techiniques and offering our service on Glocks.

But back to the topic at hand, I highly recommend that anyone looking at moving up to a better grade or shooting glasses, or anyone just starting out, really have a look at the Rudy Project line. Lots of new stuff in the 05 lineup and a few improvements on some of the old standby lineup.

The lifetime scratched lens replacement alone is a pretty hard to beat feature!

After reading a message along these lines here from Benny Hill about clear glasses and a ball cap with dark underrim I dug out an old wire eyeglasses frame that was too big to be fashionable the last time I got glasses and had a set of clear polycarbonate lenses installed by a fellow shooter who just happens to be an optitian. Best shooting glasses I've tried because they are optically correct and because of the shape far less likely to fog.

Jim Shanahan at Advanced Performance Shooting has supported the sport, and he is a major Rudy Project dealer. I have seen him setup at a lot of matches, and he has put a lot of product on those prize tables. I agree, support those who support us, and APS has.

YES SIR!!! Vhat her Fomeister said!

Rudy's from APS Jim S!

I used to wear Wileys for many years but was looking for something better.

I looked at the Oakleys - particularly the M-frames as well as the various other brands like Bolle, etc. If I was going to plunk down $200, I was going to find the perfect pair.

When I was at the last nationals I visited Jim's booth and looked at some of his Rudy Projects - it was the first time I had been able to try on Rudys. I was sold immediately. The only problem was WHICH pair to get - they are all great! I ended up purchasing the Freeon kit with golf green and racing red lenses.

I can honestly say that these glasses are helping me shoot the best I have ever been able to. Since then I have only come in second in ONE match - and that was because I had no scope batteries!! It is absolutely amazing how important 100% vision is in our sport. The clarity and definition of the Rudy lenses is unbelievable. They have bendable arms that I curve to match my melon so they aren't trying to fall off like my previous straight armed glasses. No matter how much my head sweats I don't notice the Rudys slipping around and they are very lightweight and balanced as well.

I had never thought of my shooting glasses as anything more than something I had to have on because it's required by the rulebook or the range rules. Before I got these bad boys I was kinda harsh on people that plunked down nearly 200 bucks for *safety glasses*. Not any more. Now I understand more than ever the adages "you can only shoot what you can see" and "you can only shoot as fast as you can see." Now I see that my old glasses were just holding me back.

BTW, Jim told me that the Racing Red lenses would be great for dot shooting and he was spot on. I like to shoot with the C-more maxed out and it definitely makes the dot look brighter turned all the way up. Even better is if a course requires more precise shooting like 4" steel squares, etc at longer range. I can turn the dot down to get rid of the astygmatism/starburst effects yet it still looks bright. I use the RR lenses exclusively now while shooting no matter how bright or dark it is.

As a side note, I keep my old glasses in my glovebox. I tried them on a few weeks ago and had to take them off after just a few minutes. Compared to my Rudys they had the optical clarity of a coke bottle and the comfort of a bed of nails. Now I need to get some Rudys for driving glasses as well!

Also forgot to mention that although Rudy will replace scratched lenses for free, I'm still waiting on scratches to appear. They must put a *very* hard coating on the lenses because they are still perfect even after all these months of hard use.

oakley's all the way. i've tried the rest. IMO, the fit and finish don't compare to oakleys. but the biggest point to me was that oakley has the largest selection of shapes for every face. i have always had a hard time w/ glasses b/c i have a wide face. but, oakely's sweep shape fits me perfectly. so i went ahead and got all 6 different lenses for every light condition. but, i would not have been able to do it w/ out the govt/LE discount. oaks are expensive. but, aren't your eyes worth the best?

OpnBlstr, how's the golf green compared to the racing reds? I have the RR's and a few other lenses but would like to try the golf green. Thanks. :)

Definitely darker but not so dark as to hinder shooting on a slightly overcast day. I have tried shooting in them but I like the RR better. Both are incredibly clear! The GG lens is great for driving (cars not golf balls!).

I like the racing red because I like to keep things bright when shooting. I used to have a bright yellow pair of glasses I would use even in clear sunny days. With those I had strain but the RR lens tint stops just enough sun while increasing contrast. I will probably get a yellow lens for the Freeon if I start shooting indoor matches again.

Keep in mind that your eye works like a camera lens. The smaller your pupil the more depth of field you will have so your mind sees more in focus target while shooting irons and more in focus dot when shooting scopes.

Just tried the Sunbusters from CPWSA

I have used Rudy's and currently have Oakley M frames. These Sunbusters are great! Lightweight, awesome clarity and 5 lense tints to choose from. If you don't want to break the bank but want some versatile glasses, the Sunbusters may be what you are looking for.

for me, how glasses fit is as important as anything else. most glasses i've tried on either dont fit my head/face right or dont provide good enough coverage. another consideration is that you might (i do) wear ear protection over the earpieces of your glasses. lots of glasses give me a headache when worn under my ear protection.

yesterday i tried a pair of wileys (PT1) and they fit perfectly and have great coverage on the sides and bottom. will probably order these...

I've switched to SunBuster's too and have been very happy with them. They recently updated their frames and the new models fit my face (read melon head) much better than the old frames. I also appreciate the swappable nose peices for better fit but the best feature is the lenses. Any glasses that you use are going to get scratched lenses eventually. I can replace these whenever I need to and it's no big deal. Some of the others put a pretty big dent in the wallet for replacements. FYI, they're coming out with some new lens tints this summer based on feedback from shooters. Nice. :)

John