Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig's answer to the STI Edge

Carlos

Matt Kartozian of Custom Glock Racing was good enough to provide coverage of the SHOT show on his website & he posted a picture of Sig's USPSA competition Limited gun:

pictures

Among the special custom features, it appears to have a factory mag well, the frontstrap has real checkering, its single action only, it has adjustable rear sight, its heavy stainless steel with a long/heavy un-grooved dust cover and a price that is comparable to a working model of the STI Edge (MSRP $2499). Best of all, there is no de-cocker & instead, it has a frame mounted safety right where God & John Moses Browning intended it to be (same as 1911).

Along with the CZ Standard IPSC .40, it looks like the Sig could give STI/SV some meaningful competition in Limited this year - at least equipment wise. Anyone know how many rounds of .40 the Sig holds in a 140mm?

Here is a link to Matt's sight that will allow you to get his complete coverage of the SHOT show (thanks again Matt!) Regards,

Douglas

www.shootersparadise.com

Moderator Edit: Fixed the URL. There are three pictures of the SIG at the top.

Edited by Erik Warren

I would love one as it looks like a really sweet shooter but it doesn't hold enough ammo(I think on SIGforum they said it holds 14 or so rounds of .40) for limited and is too heavy for IDPA so I'd have no practical use for it except limited 10. It will probably be a $2200+ gun where the edge is more like $1700.

the Sig could give STI/SV some meaningful competition in Limited this year - at least equipment wise.

Sigs are nice, but...

Now that Caspian mags are available, *that* is going to be the gun the puts the hurt on S_I.

Excellent link, CzechM8 - thank you. Looks like the gun was designed by/for IPSC & not USPSA. Appears that the 14 round magazines are box-rule magazines & not 140s so only time will tell as to what the real USPSA capacity will be when the mags are made 140mms - 17, 18, 19, or more .40 rounds? Too soon to tell.

I am working on increasing the capacity of my CZ Standard IPSC with 140mm magazines. Easily up to 18. I know that 19 is clearly possible & with the right follower, I may get it to 20 for a 140mm magazine.

Who is up for R&D-ing the 140mm Sig X-5 magazine?

Some people like metal, heavy guns and they will go with Caspian. But most will stay with the lighter STI. There are just too many pluses with the STi. The polymer grip which you can fit to your hand and surface the way you like is a big one. Then replacing it easily is another. I bought a caspian frame once but the frame was so long and big I just couldnt get used to it so I went back to STI and stayed with that type of gun.

EricW: Agree with you that the Caspian Limited 40 is a more immediate threat to STI/SV in USPSA Limited division. Why?

Sig X-5 vs. Caspian - that is sorta like "New, undeveloped USPSA technology vs. old, well-developed technology that (in Caspian's case) has been on hold for 10 years due to that stupid magazine ban"

The trick to both in USPSA is developing 140mm magazines with competitive capacity.

If the X-5 is anything like the 228s I have fired (including the new steel framed version) the bore axis is still a bit high for my taste. Maybe the X5 sits lower in the hand. The 226 does tend to be reliable & quite accurate though.

Hallo to everybody,

I think I could be quite helpful concerning informations about the new X-Five from Sig Sauer ... because I´m competing with one in .40 :D (IPSC, Standard class).

@carlos: you are right the X-Five was mainly delevoped for IPSC but nevertheless it would also be an excellent gun for Limited 10 right out of the box.

With some work on the magazines - trimming down/replacing the follower and different base pads - you can increase the capacity to 16. But this is all you can do if the mags should still fit the box requirements. As far as I know no 140mm mags are planned yet. But you can use extended 9mm mags and shorten them. You only have to open up the mag lips a bit. With this configuration you might get another two more rounds (18 in total). The problem is that the 226 was designed around the 9x19 thus the magazines are smaller in dimension in comparison to S_I guns.

I`ve shot several S_I style guns before and all I can say is that I don`t regret the switch to Sig. The X-Five is extremely reliable (as all Sig guns) and very accurate - my gun easily shoots nice sub 1" groups at 25 yards B) .

Although the bore axis is still a bit high the gun is comfortable to shoot - a special recoil spring guide rod is installed which works with two springs that softens the impulse of the slide (it is comparable with a "Recoil Master"). Besides this the rear sight is mounted very low so that the higher bore axis is compensated.

I´ll try to post some pictures of my X-Five later this week :) .

It looks really good with some exceptions, like the blending of the magwell to the frame, and the grip looks a bit thick for people with small hands....and of course the price is 2500 bucks....way too much for a factory racer with lots of things still to be done to it...

Still I would love to have one, but would have to learn to smith it yourself, as there are not too many peoplke who can do quality work on them in my area...

on the sig forum, bruce gray states this gun is every bit worth the price tag as it needs no tuning from a gunsmith like many of our 1911 designs would. he seemed very adament that this would be the next big thing once the mag issue was sorted out. this is only my synopsis of his post on the sig forum however.