Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schuemann Barrels

EricW

Based on the litany of negative scuttlebutt I had read on here over time, I had scratched Schuemann off the list of those from whom I'd ever buy a barrel. Well...I just shot a Schuemann barreled gun yesterday and was absolutely floored by the accuracy. All the past negative anecdotes still concern me a bit, but now I'm beginning to wonder if most of it is the usual gun-industry negativity about anything anybody does that's new that isn't "tactical."

What's the truth?

Ive used Wil Schuemanns barrels for a lot of years

I have nothing but praise for anything Wil does he

is a very smart Man and a very good fellow to know!

Jim Anglin

Sailors custom Pistols

4760 n 17th st

Omaha ne 68110

402 451 0797

jjanglin@msn.com

I have one Schuemann barrel in 38 super that will shoot 2in at 50yds with junk ammo in the ransom rest. I spent quite a while on the phone with Wil several times this fall, and at no time did he give me the schtick to buy his stuff. His recommedation, shoot more with what I had. My new barrel for my 9x19 Bianchi Metallic Sight gun, Schuemann, of course. I have been using Nowlin barrels, five so far, but the accuracy of the last two is not like the previous barrels from them. My barrels will be replaced with Schuemanns when they wear out.

FWIW,

DougC

somethings that could lead to any barrel failure is the fellows who

drag brillo pads-boresnakes and use most of the barrel cleaners

in their stuff- If you shoot jacket bullets all you need to pull

through your barrels is a soft swab with oil on it.

If you shoot lead use a lewis lead remover and and oil sweab nothing else.

Will S. will verify this.

I have an open gun 38 super that will group 50 cent style groups

at 50 yards it has around 70.000 rounds through it and has had nothing

but fmj bullets through it and I use a soft patch with mobil one

or amsoil on it to clean the bore.

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

4760 n 17th st.

Omaha ne 68110

402 451 0797

jjanglin@msn.com

I like mine. I shoot nothing but plated and though I've never benched it, it seems to give good accuracy, and no keyholing. The interior and exterior finish quality is fantastic. My only complaint is that it's a tad "slow" but that's surely just random variation.

I really like them. Use them anytime I can.

And to good use, I might add. I've never had a pistol that planted bullets EXACTLY where the sights were when I triggered the shot.

Daaaayyyyymmmmm! :o

Schuemann also supports the sport... lots of his barrels on prize tables. And some of them aren't even hybrid .45 barrels.. Just kidding.. I've picked up some nice stuff from him off prize tables.

I believe every hybrid gun has one of his barrels in it. Some of the top shooters shoot hybrids. Coincidence? I think not.

i use schuemann barrels in all the 1911 type pistols i build. i have found them to be one of the most accurate and best made barrels i have ever used. we use the AET barrel exclusively in our short guns and i get great feedback on their accuracy all the time. :rolleyes:

I've only owned one pistol with a Schuemann barrel in it - a 6" Tribrid w/ custom hole pattern (the Rusty Kidd Viper I had a while back). Those pistols were capable of MOA accuracy at 50 yards (w/ properly loaded ammo). When I sold the pistol at 30K+ rounds, there were no visible signs of wear in the barrel throat, and it was still a tack driver. It was a 1-in-16 twist barrel, and I shot 124s w/ N350 at roughly 180PF.

That said - I cleaned the barrel w/ Hoppes No. 9 and a soft brass brush every thousand or so rounds. Didn't seem to hurt anything. Several guys in my area finally replaced Schuemann's that had 60+K on them due to throat erosion (and loss of accuracy). I did know of a couple of barrels that had to be replaced at about the 30K mark - but the pistols were cleaned only with things like Boresnakes (if they were cleaned at all), and their owners tended to do "intense" practice sessions (which probably lead to the barrel retaining a lot of heat, which would accelerate wear).

Never dealt with Wil personally, so I can't comment there...

Dave

Guest Larry Cazes

I've got one (Utlimatch, Non AET) in my SV limited gun. Accuracy is excellent. I also have KART barrels in both of our open guns and they shoot just as well and cost almost half as much as the Schuemann. Only time will tell if the KARTs are as durable but in the future I think I will save the money and go with KART barrels and put the cash elsewhere where it can make a bigger diference in performance.

My only complaint is that it's a tad "slow" but that's surely just random variation.

I have two Ultimatches, and like them a lot. I switched one out of my match gun for the tungsten sleeved bbl that Johnny Lim makes, only for the sake of the wt up front.

I did find a big difference in velocities out of the two Ultimatches, though - almost 50 fps with my jacketed match load.

Some friends of mine and I pitched around some ideas on why their AET's wouldn't shoot plated bullets well, but managed jacketed quite nicely. We guessed that the variable lands and grooves plus the gain twist would put more shear forces on the plating/core union and might lead to more failures.

Any fizzicks and engineering sorts care to comment?

I've had horrible luck with the AET barrel and have several buddies with the same issues. The Ultimatch barrels are fine from what I understand. I'm building a singlestack with one now.

My first AET was in a .40 limited gun. I used Zero and Montana Gold bullets. The barrel wore out by 7K. It was keyholding at 3yds with any ammo I tried, including factory.

My second was a factory SV Tribrid. Chamber was rough enough to prevent extraction. Brass looked like someone drove over it with a truck. Had the chamber polished and brass looked ok and extraction was fixed.

Friend had an AET in an Open gun. Inch groups at 25 yds for first 100 rds. By 150 the gun was keyholing at 5 yds.

Another friend had a brand new gun. Factory SV 40 with an AET Bull Bbl. Gun was keyholing within 15 rounds. This was the first time it was ever shot and it couldn't even shoot straight for one stage.

I asked Wil about this at the 3-Gun Nationals in Vegas. He first said that I was using Moly. When I told him I wasn't he told me I was using Vit 3N37 or 38. I told him I was using N105, he didn't believe me. Told me that I was wrong. I told him about the chamber roughness and that a gunsmith fixed it by polishing. He told me that a gunsmith couldn't polish it and that it had been fine from the beginning. He then said my favorite line and the reason that I'll never pay for another barrel from him. He said, " Some last 1500, some last 150,000." Thats not the answer I want to hear after buying for a barrel and paying to have it installed.

Yes, Wil is a very smart guy. Yes, he supports the sport like few others. No, I won't have anything to do with any AET barrels.

Hmmmm

From what I have seen and heard, their has been an evolution of AET Barrels over the years and the first ones were inconsistent. The recent barrels are beautifully made (I have 2 waiting for a project), but my experience is limited. I know SVI is a research driven outfit and I have seen the test targets, so I am hoping for the best and hoping some others will chime in.