Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me choose a sizing die.

Breacher217

I'll be using 100% Glock fired .40 brass through my dillon 650. Will be feeding a SV .40 sight tracker. I already have Redding Comp seater and crimp die. I'm looking for the best sizing die option. I'm hoping to not add an additional step like the GRX requires. Would love to hear from people that have tried a few. Price is not a concern.

Edited by Breacher217

I used a grx for a while but tried loading without it. The dillon sizing die takes care of the occasional bulged case so now I skip the grx. It does require a little more force but I hated running them through the grx before I could even start sizing. Jmo.

I load a lot of range brass. If I am shooting in competition, I run my rounds though my Dillon case gauge. I don't gauge my practice rounds. I was using the standard Lee 4 die set, but I would occasionally get a round which would not chamber. I switched to a Lee undersized sizing die, and it has solved the problem.

You shouldn't discount the GRx...

You won't go wrong with a GR-x in a $40 Lee single stage reloading press. I use this setup and after processing the brass, I never have to case gage the brass.

or a Lee .40 Carbide FCD with the top removed instead of the GR-X. About $50 cheaper

I have a spare Rock Chucker for a GRX, but I dread the thought of running 10 gallons of brass through a single stage...I do not see a case pro in my future.

Sorry, off the subject I guess, but how many .40 cases in a five gallon bucket?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55445&hl=5%20gallon%20bucket%20brass&page=2

Post #39

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I have tried both the EGW U-Die and the Dillon die without issue with 100% Glock fired brass. I ended up sticking with the Dillon die since the U-Die gave a slight wasp waist loaded round. The only issue I have had is the 180gr jhp Zero bullets don't playbnice with my Shockbottle 100 round gauge. The bullet profile rubs just above the top of the case.

The two sizing dies that size the furthest down a case are Lee and Hornady. The Hornady sizes with less effort.

Personally, I run all cases through a Lee Bulge Buster after cleaning. Hornady would be my top choice for dies and particularly for a sizing die.