Are you running a rear sight?

OscarMike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you talking to me? I couldn't tell if you where looking at me or the guy behind me. Hate it when that happens. No, I'm not running a rear sight on my 1301, and it has yet to cause me problems on silhouettes out 120yds. My technique on the other hand....

No. If your barrel is not straight, they are immensely helpful. If your barrel is, maybe not much. Some guys like them, some don't. If you're having trouble with slugs, you have to figure out what is wrong. Might be your vision.

Being old and slow, I have a 10-22 rear sight on my M2, with a riser under the Hi Viz Comp front. I don't think my barrel is not straight, just not pointing where I want when slugs are sent down range.

On the other hand, my Super Nova has a front bead and no rear sight. The mid bead may be missing too.

Tony... Kind of.

I hate my rear sight because I get a super aggressive cheek weld while shooting. I was an irons shooter for years and can hit an ipsc at 500yds... and I attribute it to my cheek weld. But when I shoot my shotgun, my rear gets in the way of my front sight. I tried the monte carlo cheek riser, but then I shot over everything. So I'm taking it off this week.

I was just curious if everyone finds them necessary or not. I'm actually thinking about painting a short line in the middle of the back of the rib to line the FO up for slugs.

Kevin

I don't know why everyone doesn't run front and rear sights on their shotguns.

They work, they DO NOT hinder speed shooting nor hitting flying clays.

If you have them you can always over look them like we all do on occasion with our pistols.

Pistols have sights? ;-P

I've got the 10-22 on my M1. It stays folded down most of the time, even for slugs out to 80 yards. I just settle the big ole fiber optic front between the two screwheads on the rear.

Hits slug targets pretty good and doesn't hinder flying clays or static steel in the least.

On a properly fit shotgun, your eye should be exactly in line with the plane of the top of the vent rib, or so my opinion goes..

Any good rear sight is one that gives you more of a reference point for keeping your front sight/bead right on the top center of the vent rib, right where it belongs.