Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a .40 minor load

Lifeislarge

My IDPA load is a 180 gr Valiant bullet at a 1.140" OAL with 2.5 gr of Clays/Clay Dot.Goes 725 fps. 2.7 gr of Promo goes 715 fps. 3.0 of Solo 1000 also runs 715 fps. Recoil feels the same with all three. These loads are through a G35 with stock barrel.

I've been running 2.6 gr. of Clays behind a 180 gr. lead bullet at 1.155" OAL in my Edge with a 10 pound spring for minor. Shoots soft and very accurate at 715 fps at 70 degrees. I found that Clays does not meter well at those small doses, so you need to keep your powder hopper at least half full.

I've been running 2.6 gr. of Clays behind a 180 gr. lead bullet at 1.155" OAL in my Edge with a 10 pound spring for minor. Shoots soft and very accurate at 715 fps at 70 degrees. I found that Clays does not meter well at those small doses, so you need to keep your powder hopper at least half full.

It will meter perfectly if you strap one of these on your thrower. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-5-15-Gallon-Single-Outlet-Aquarium-Air-Pump-1-Ct-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/10532632

• 2 weeks later...

It will meter perfectly if you strap one of these on your thrower. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-5-15-Gallon-Single-Outlet-Aquarium-Air-Pump-1-Ct-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/10532632

Thanks Joe. I tried the "vibrator" and it does help make your loads more consistent.

• 2 weeks later...

When I loaded minor, all I did was change bullets. 180gr on my major load, 155 Precision for minor with same powder charge. It worked real well for me. Never had to play with the powder measure.

Unfortunately, I can not get to my reloading room for the information. Sorry about that

• 2 months later...

When I loaded minor, all I did was change bullets. 180gr on my major load, 155 Precision for minor with same powder charge. It worked real well for me. Never had to play with the powder measure.

Unfortunately, I can not get to my reloading room for the information. Sorry about that

I have heard that 165gr bullets will make minor with the same powder load. NO experience with this however.

Ran 50 of these yesterday in my Trojan 5 (stock springs)

200 Xtreme

3.0 Titegroup

Win SP

1.180 oal

Should chrono at 133 PF

FYI: 2.8 would not reliably cycle for me but I bet it would have come out at about 127 PF.

My favorite load is 4.2grs of VV 340 with a 180gr Black Bullet international. I shoot production. A Glock 35.

There's also-

3.2grs titegroup

4.5grs Longshot

4.5grs 800x

3.5grs unique

All of these make minor win my Glock 35 using 180gr Black Bullet.

X-treme 155's @ 1.130 4.2grns WST

Gun: M&P Pro with KKM drop in

OAL 1.130

Temp 80*

Powder WST

Winchester Small Pistol Primers

Mixed Brass

Thursday I ran a few ladders

Powder weight | Average Velocity | Power Factor

4.0 | 870 | 134

4.2 | 920 | 142

4.4 | 952 | 148

180's

3.5 | 812 | 146

3.7 | 828 | 149

4.0 | 843 | 151

200's

3.0 | 578 | 115

3.2 | 652 | 130

3.4 | 725 | 145

Edited by Hallz

Haltz, what were the SDs on those ladders?

His machine did not auto calculate them so we did a few by hand. The best was the 155 With 4.2 grains, even with mixed brass it was high teens.

The others were in the mid to high 20's. 180's had the highest.

3.4 gr Titegroup with 180 Frontier is what I've loaded for years of local steel matches. This load is very accurate and forgiving in recoil. 1.135" OAL works with the KKM in my STI and my dad's CZ TS.

Edited by smokeandmirrors

Does that help a lee pro auto disk measure?