Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 powder

bodene 5

It somewhat depends on bullet weight and barrel length, that being said I don't think you could go wrong with Benchmark, XBR or Varget. These are very versatile powders that work well with the 223 and many other cartridges.

Mine are all 5.56 with Lake City brass.

I use H335 for match/play ammo and get great accuracy out of it.

When CFE223 came out I gave it a try and found it to be superior for precision loads. It works great for plinking too but mentally I've set it aside for precision shooting.

As stated though right now it's more about what you can find if you don't have it already.

I'd gladly load most match .223 with any of these..

TAC

CFE 223

8208XBR

XTerminator (same as AA 2230)

AA2230

H322

H335

748, BLC-2

As someone (probably everyone) has said, it's more about what you can find, but any of the above will work generally well enough, as well as metering well through powder measures.

I was being lazy and didn't want to change my powder measure on my 650 and added a different powder just to see what I came up with. I was out of x-terminator powder 24.8 grains (max) and I put in TAC and without changing anything it threw 25.5 gr of TAC (25.8 max). Well, it works for me.

Anyone else do the same with different powders? Anyone else track this? I was thinking about starting a spreadsheet.

• 1 month later...

335 is what I use for my hoser loads. I played around with it a bit for 69s as well, but even though it meters much better than VV N140, I could never get as low ES and SD as I could with 140.

So, 335 for 55s and 140 for 69s is what I use.

• 2 weeks later...

For what use, and for what bullet weight?

For 100 yards, or for 200 yards on a range with no wind, 26.5gr 748 with a 52gr match bullet in a LC or WRA case will always shoot well.

For match use, look at the New Jersey Highpower site's "Reloading Stuph" for loads with a variety of powders and bullet weights.