Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESP: STI Trojan vs. CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom

ES13Raven

I love the 1911 platform, but Im going to have to vote CZ on this one.

#1 with the railed frame you get more weight up front to help manage those bunny farts.

#2 double stack mags mean a wider magwell to assist with mag changes.

Have both..1911 for me since I primary shoot CDP and SS, just more ergo efficient and more accurate for me ..Have not put in the "TIME" with the CZ, but made Master with a Glock,so go figure..

Edited by GmanCdp

Which do you think makes the better ESP gun and why?

STI Trojan or the CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom.

Well I have a highly modded Springfield Loaded 9mm and I built my own CZ75 SA Shadow and shot them both in ESP.

Both are capable guns but I have to give a slight advantage to the 1911 for being able to utilize 9 round mags. The CZ, on the other hand, is probably going to run without malafunctions.

Edited by himurax13

Which do you think makes the better ESP gun and why?

STI Trojan or the CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom.

Well I have a highly modded Springfield Loaded 9mm and I built my own CZ75 SA Shadow and shot them both in ESP.

Both are capable guns but I have to give a slight advantage to the 1911 for being able to utilize 9 round mags.How is a 9 round mag a slight advantage? You have to load to 10 and barney up unless downloaded per stage description. The CZ, on the other hand, is probably going to run without malafunctions. Sounds like your highly modded Springer is giving you problems that you would assume the CZ would run without malfunctions. Reliability shouldn't even be a factor.

:huh:

v1911 are you new? The 9mm 1911's come with 9 round mags. If you buy 9 round mags, guess what, you load to 9. If you load to division capacity of 9+1 that would equal 10. For some stages, that would be an advantage.

All 9mm 1911 are subject to shitty mags and most of the malafunctions are caused by them. I have used several different brands and I have made all of them fail. I will try and pick up some Tripp mags down the road to see if they adressed the nose diving issue.

1911's are also picky with ammo. If I stuck with FMJ RN, I had little to no issues. Flatpoints would give me issues from time to time.

Now Mecgar double stacks, on the other hand, are bulletproof. I have probably had 20k rounds go through my CZ and the only issues I have had was when I tried utilizing the Grams engineering springs and followers to up my capacity from 20 to 23. 7 of the 9 mags I modded failed and nosedived. Other than that, My CZ's have run whether or not I cleaned them or if the mags were full of sand.

Edited by himurax13

Try the dawson 10rd mags. The single stack shooters at my club haven't had an issues with their mags. Just remember to let them sit a few days fully loaded.

OP, you can't go wrong with either choice. 1911s do get the edge when it comes to customization. Here in the states, 1911 parts are just more plentiful as opposed to the CZ/Tangfolios. That may or may not be a factor for you.

Try the dawson 10rd mags. The single stack shooters at my club haven't had an issues with their mags. Just remember to let them sit a few days fully loaded.

OP, you can't go wrong with either choice. 1911s do get the edge when it comes to customization. Here in the states, 1911 parts are just more plentiful as opposed to the CZ/Tangfolios. That may or may not be a factor for you.

Hmm, those look like the Metalform 10 rounders, which coincidentally are the worst ones by far for the 9mm. Why would anyone want 10 rounders for IDPA in the first place?

CZ parts are harder to come by but The CZ Custom Shop and Cajun Gun Works has everything you need. With some basic tools and some online walkthroughs, you should be able to tackle all of the upgrades yourself.

Hmm, those look like the Metalform 10 rounders, which coincidentally are the worst ones by far for the 9mm. Why would anyone want 10 rounders for IDPA in the first place?

CZ parts are harder to come by but The CZ Custom Shop and Cajun Gun Works has everything you need. With some basic tools and some online walkthroughs, you should be able to tackle all of the upgrades yourself.

Maybe because some people like loading to division capacity?

Unless you're shooting a compact 1911, you should be loading to division capacity, that mean 10+1 unless stated otherwise by stage description.

To the OP, I'm a fan of the 1991 but I've never shot a CZ but know several who run them, all are well liked. I'd say find folks with each and see if they will let you try them out. Very quickly you'll form an opinion on which one you like better.

I own and like both. Get the Trojan if you like 1911s, like to tinker and have time to tune the gun. Get the CZ if you just want to pull it out of the box and shoot matches. If you buy the Trojan get the aftec extractor option, run a 10lb+ reciol spring and at least 135pf ammo. I like Wilson ETM 10rd mags with one coil cut off. Load on the long side. The CZ likes to be loaded short but I've never had an issue with factory.

Hello: I would spend a little more and get a STI Eagle in 9mm. Reloads very quick and you can get a great trigger. Or get a STI 2011 with a 4.180" bull barrel in 9mm. It is a very soft shooter and quick on transitions. I like the Trojan trigger better than a CZ. I had a CZ Shadow with a great trigger but I still like a 1911/2011 trigger better. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I would spend a little more and get a STI Eagle in 9mm. Reloads very quick and you can get a great trigger. Or get a STI 2011 with a 4.180" bull barrel in 9mm. It is a very soft shooter and quick on transitions. I like the Trojan trigger better than a CZ. I had a CZ Shadow with a great trigger but I still like a 1911/2011 trigger better. Thanks, Eric

A nicely tuned 1911 trigger does have a nicer break and reset than even a tuned Shadow Single action trigger but the difference is really small. Being able to run a Dawson Precision Magwell is a nice bonus as well. Now that you can run a single action SP01 Shadow in ESP, that might change things a bit. Too bad that the only magwell available for the CZ is really picky with what can be used with it.

I have shot 1911 pattern guns for too long to change, BUT I do think a CZ is likely to be less finicky.

I would not play the SP01 fako SSP good enough for ESP silly games; I would buy a CZ75 Shadow Custom with the same mechanical specs and a short dustcover that fits right in.