Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Way to stop M&P from Auto-forwarding?

ToneSurfer

Auto-forwarding - insertion of a fresh mag causes the slide to release (close) all on its own, without depression of the slide release lever or slingshot method.

I hate it. My FS 9 does this rarely, my new Pro does it most of the time. Since my pro is back for repairs I've gone back to shooting my FS. After reloads I'm finding my self staring at the damn gun wondering why the slide isn't forward. I've trained myself into expecting it and when it doesn't happen it's causing a problem.

Is there a way to make this NOT happen? I'm not slapping in the fresh mags with an extreme amount of force. So it seems to just happen normally.

I was wondering if I could file a slight angle onto the end of the slide lock lever, at the point the lever interfaces into the notch in the slide. Kind of make it bite in that corner. Anyone tried this? Anyone see a problem with it? It's a cheap part, I won't be doing any work on the slide.

Mine broke in over time. The only thing i can figure is the slide stop, and frame notch just wore in over time. It may be the magazine springs lightened up some as well, causing the slide stop not to engage fully.

Another consideration would be your rsa. The lighter the rsa, the less force trying to return the slide to battery.

I agree, why wouldn't you want the slide to go forward when a mag is inserted? If I lightly insert a mag on mine it will usually stay locked open. I just make sure I always slam in a new mag and it closes.

If all my guns did it, all of the time, I could live with it. The problem I have with it is my FS, and my Shield don't do it, and my Pro does (most of the time anyway). I want them to be consistent. Just these past two practice matches with my FS, which doesn't autoforward, I've found myself surprised by it.

You would have to change the way you "slam" the mag home. What is happening is when inserting the mag and "slamming" it home you are probably directing that force forward (towards the muzzle) and by doing this, inertia takes over as the frame will move forward slightly and due to the heavy weight of the slide, the slide will not move. This causes the spring loaded slide stop lever to retract and the slide goes forward.

Change the direction of force you are applying to the mag and you can stop that from happening.

If you had put in a lighter recoil spring, the gun will be more susceptible to doing this "auto forwarding".

I think it's more an issue of the ammunition releasing the slide while in the magazine, because as you can see it will not let the slide go home on an empty magazine. Not really sure what you could do to change this, but like others have said, I like this feature a whole lot. Slide lock, other than having one extra round, becomes much less of a burdon to your stage times.

Is there a way to make this NOT happen? I'm not slapping in the fresh mags with an extreme amount of force. So it seems to just happen normally.

I was wondering if I could file a slight angle onto the end of the slide lock lever, at the point the lever interfaces into the notch in the slide. Kind of make it bite in that corner. Anyone tried this? Anyone see a problem with it? It's a cheap part, I won't be doing any work on the slide.

Altering the slide lock lever may help.

You might also slightly adjust the slidestop spring to reduce the down force it exerts on the slidestop.

If all my guns did it, all of the time, I could live with it. The problem I have with it is my FS, and my Shield don't do it, and my Pro does (most of the time anyway). I want them to be consistent. Just these past two practice matches with my FS, which doesn't autoforward, I've found myself surprised by it.

Geez, why so many different platforms?

Sell those things, stick with one gun, get one that releases the slide when you slam home a new mag!

Get CZ's

All my M&P's auto-forward if I insert the mag 'briskly' (thank God). But slide will not auto-forward is mag is inserted more slowly and deliberately. Seems that's all you have to do.

BTW, it was a happy day when I found my new H&K VP9 would auto-forward. :)

If you increase the positive engagement between the slide lock lever and notch cut into the slide then it will not "Auto-Forward". You have to look closely at the nub of the slide lock lever that engages the slide and the notch in the slide its self. Most of the time, the engagement point between these two components is crappy at best. If you clean up the leading edge of the nub that engages the notch and then clean up the notch in the slide so they fully engage over a wide surface area, then it won't auto forward when you slam a magazine in the gun with the slide locked back.

I have had to do this exact thing to a couple of M&P's for shooters who didn't like the Auto-Forwarding of the slide after slamming a magazine in it.

• 1 month later...

I like the auto forwarding feature. However, the problem that I have incurred with it is, there have been numerous times that it will auto forward without stripping a round off the top of the magazine. Nothing more frustrating than coming back up on target after a good, clean reload and then, "CLICK". That us most always followed by, "DAMIT!".

The only thing I can figure is possibly needing stiffer mag springs. But, it's done it since it was new.

I like the auto forwarding feature. However, the problem that I have incurred with it is, there have been numerous times that it will auto forward without stripping a round off the top of the magazine. Nothing more frustrating than coming back up on target after a good, clean reload and then, "CLICK". That us most always followed by, "DAMIT!".

The only thing I can figure is possibly needing stiffer mag springs. But, it's done it since it was new.

Same here, I have never tried stiffer mag springs though.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine 9 Pro always auto advances if I slam the mag in, like I normally do during a stage run. I have had it fail to strip the first round but very seldom. That's why I do my darndest not to go to slide lock! I would guess that there are a lot of variables at play besides springs and slide stop engagement, such as bullet profile and OAL.

All my M&P's auto forward with a full mag, the only time they don't is when I'm downloaded to 10 for whatever reason. I don't rely on it because I figure if I've gone to slide lock, I've already screwed up the stage anyway so it doesn't matter. :roflol: