Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Best Comp?

anilson

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried many different comps over the years, and in the end decided it really didn't matter unless they were absolutely terrible. I can make more difference in how the gun reacts with grip pressure and springs than by changing comps. I had this exact discussion with Matt McLearn about two weeks ago...he said the same thing. Pick one, get used to it, tune your load for it, and then go practice. A super, super flat gun won't help you shoot any better, and can make shot calling/dot tracking harder. In fact, I think the balance point of the gun is another factor that's far more important than the comp setup...get that right and the comp has less to do.

Any one try the Akai gill comp on their own build?

I have built three with the gill comp. I like them. Of course its a comp that works better with holes in the barrel. I built one like the katana and one in a v6 patern. Both are flat and fast shooting. The v6 is a little softer.

I agree with Donny. It needs barrel holes. Works great with a 4 port hybrid. Its also the loudest comp I've ever heard! Keeps ROs from crowding you :roflol: !

Chris: I have to say you are wrong. There is a difference when a comp is working like it should. If you test different comps and try different loads with those comps you will see that some work a lot better than others. Sure if you want to drill some holes in a barrel and add lots of powder to make power factor it will work. The side effect is a harsh shooting gun. If you want a gun that shoots flat and is softer on the hand then design a comp to do that. I am not a GM but I do know that a timer does not lie. I will agree that balance is important and setting the gun up for your style of shooting is also important. Thanks, Eric

I've tried many different comps over the years, and in the end decided it really didn't matter unless they were absolutely terrible. I can make more difference in how the gun reacts with grip pressure and springs than by changing comps. I had this exact discussion with Matt McLearn about two weeks ago...he said the same thing. Pick one, get used to it, tune your load for it, and then go practice. A super, super flat gun won't help you shoot any better, and can make shot calling/dot tracking harder. In fact, I think the balance point of the gun is another factor that's far more important than the comp setup...get that right and the comp has less to do.

Wait you mean to say that buying the latest greatest new comp won't make me a better shooter? (yes this is sarcasm) I shoot a 357 sig GLOCK with a small comp that i know is not the greatest, but I am sure so far it is not what is holding me back

Maybe the best comp isn't the most important feature, but it can't hurt... :cheers:

I can tell the difference between the Dawson I previously ran and Eric's comp I use now. Times improved as well. Balance and pointability (is that a word?) are very important but comp is important too in my opinion.

Wait you mean to say that buying the latest greatest new comp won't make me a better shooter? (yes this is sarcasm) I shoot a 357 sig GLOCK with a small comp that i know is not the greatest, but I am sure so far it is not what is holding me back

You're right. It's the Glock AND shooting 357 sig that's holding you back! :ph34r::roflol:

You're right. It's the Glock AND shooting 357 sig that's holding you back! :ph34r::roflol:
And I thought it was a lack of practice[emoji15]

And I thought it was a lack of practice[emoji15]

Sounds like me. :)

I'm interested in Amish_rabbi's question as well! If I have a reasonably accurate load I like (bullet, powder I've been able to get that will last a bit, load say 170 PF), is there a way for a layman to design a comp (port area, # ports) that is optimized for that load, the gas created? Normally it seems that folks have optimized for their comp, but given that it's easier for me to have a comp. built vs access to a diversity of powders to test, having a comp done for your load doesn't seem unreasonable?

It does change things. It's hard to get perfect load data to feed into the simulation. I used some data that is a good reference for 9 major but doesn't look to differentiate between a specific powder. What is most important is the general layout and basic port sizing and that doesn't need a specific powder to get right.

I'm a big believe in pick one and get used it it. Although I don't think balance point makes a difference. I shoot all my practices with 10 round mags. If I borrow a big stick in free America, I don't notice a difference in how the gun tracks. Grip is the really the determining factor in how my gun shoots.

So shot my first match in open. It was too much fun. I shouldn't be allowed to have that much fun with a gun. I borrowed a buddies gun and it had the sti trubor t2 barrel and comp.

I am now building an open gun in 9mm. I know it is subjective but is there anything wrong with the t2 comp from sti. What is your favorite. I have looked at the bedell, cheely, sti, even thought about have my smith make one on a trubor blank. Thoughts. Aircooled6racer could you PM me some info on yours.

What are the differences between comps

I originally did it so I didn't have to pick up brass. With the new powders on the market it is much easier to load major power factor loads. My 9 mm shoots flatter than the super and is softer on my hands.

So Jax, how do the pistols compare? are they both full sized? holes? which comps? Inquiring minds want to know :cheers: