Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much do you shoot getting ready for your next. Match .

rdinga

I have several matches a month, but in preparation for a BIG match, I try to taper down the last few days on my daily dry-fire, focusing on fundamentals. I have found the most effective live-fire preparation the day or so before hand is simple accuracy and grip stuff, like bill drills (being sure to get all alphas), or hitting a 2" circle from 7 yards as quickly as possible.

If you're not doing regular dry-fire practice (like every day), you are doing it wrong, and it doesn't really make much difference how you prep for a match.

If you are doing regular dry -fire practice (like every day), and regular live-fire practice (like every week), then it doesn't really make much difference how you prep for match. Just call your shots or see your sights, and you will shoot as well as you can shoot.

What's probably a lot more important is all the non-shooting prep for a match, like being well-rested, having all your equipment ready and reliable, having confidence in you point of aim and your ammo, etc....

I don't change my regiment much unless I plan on using a different weapon. Shooting the IDPA New Hampshire Championship this week with my G34. Next large match is the IDPA BUG Nationals, I'll be running my G26 for that match and will more than likely shoot 1K a week in preparation. That said I can always use more dry fire/draw practice at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a newbie - total time training and competing 4.5 months. I have spent 2-3 hrs daily, working on all the basic skills, grip,presentation, Target transitions, etc!

I initially was shooting 150-200 rds a week, working on my draw, presenting to the target, firing one rds into the target, working on my "Aim"!

Now, twice a week at the range with 600-700 rds. Working on long shots from 15 - 25 yds..Trying to focus on accuracy, double taps, etc.

I think I dry fire way too much, but I'm constantly trying to improve my speed, mag. changes, presentation!

I'm a newbie - total time training and competing 4.5 months. I have spent 2-3 hrs daily, working on all the basic skills, grip,presentation, Target transitions, etc!

I initially was shooting 150-200 rds a week, working on my draw, presenting to the target, firing one rds into the target, working on my "Aim"!

Now, twice a week at the range with 600-700 rds. Working on long shots from 15 - 25 yds..Trying to focus on accuracy, double taps, etc.

I think I dry fire way too much, but I'm constantly trying to improve my speed, mag. changes, presentation!

And you're a GM by now with all that work?

I wish I could get out and practice as much as some of yall do. Normally the only practice I get for our monthly USPSA match is the steel match I shoot between monthly matches. I will usually shoot 2-300 rounds the 2 weeks before a major match but other than that not enough cash for me to practice!

I shoot matches to get ready for practice.

Matches are just snapshots of where you are at a particular time. Continuity and development comes from practice. Matches tell you how to practice.

The art of shooting matches is ignoring the pressure to try to improve. The art of practice is refining your understanding of improvement.

After shooting in 4 national matches and 5 world matches

With a bunch of state and local matches this year I find that practice hones the skills

I've seen that I peak at roughly 10000 rounds so I train hard the 2 weeks prior to a major match

Shooting 800 to 1000 rounds a day for 5 consecutive days

Finding a local match to see where I'm on the weekend prior to the major. ...

I'll use the same match prep and stage ritual for each stage as. I would at the big show. ....

Any kinks in the match will show up when the added stress and pressure of a major is placed upon onself.....

The following week are 3 1500 round practices with Thursday typically a cleaning and fouling session. ...

I never shoot a clean gun never....

One thing to remember is that shooting is a skill that is very much tied to your emotions and mental state as the time of the match....

I had an opportunity to sit with Jerry Barnhart at steel nationals the resounding thing that I took away from that conversation was to see every shot no matter how long it takes.....

Sound advise to say the least. ...

John

I peak at 10,000 rounds so I

Shoot 800 to 1000 rounds a day for 5 consecutive days

The following week are 3 1500 round practices

WOW!!! That's about 8,000 rounds in 2 weeks!!! :surprise:

I took a 2 day course the week before a Reg'l Match, and

shot about 800 rounds/day for 2 days.

My hand was sore (blister) for the shoot ...

I did shoot better than I normally would have expected to

shoot at the Reg'l, BUT I would never shoot that much

again in 1-2 days.

I'd much rather shoot 200 rounds twice a week, at most,

to prepare for a match.

BUT, that might be why YOU'RE a GM and I'm a B. :ph34r:

What's probably a lot more important is all the non-shooting prep for a match, like being well-rested, having all your equipment ready and reliable, having confidence in you point of aim and your ammo, etc....

:cheers:

There's nothing that will ruin your whole day like struggling with dirty mags that won't run or not knowing why you can't hit a popper at 30 yards.

Edited by kneelingatlas

In the summer when the range is open later I usually shoot on Wednesday, Friday and one day on the weekend. I usually shoot 200-300 rounds each range trip.

Now that they close earlier it's Fridays and one day a weekend.

I do the 15 minute dry fire practice every day, if I skip a day I make it up the next day.

I'm new to shooting matches so I'm trying really focus on getting better. But I have noticed it's as much a mental game as it is a skill game.

Practice involves shooting monthly club matches some where. I have no range to practice at, there is a public range run by the state Wildlife & Fisheries, but they do not allow drawing from the holster or rapid fire (double taps and such).

Dry fire is about it,....

None of the public ranges in my area allow rapid fire or drawing from the holster either!

A coworker has property and has allowed me the opportunity to pretty much practice anything I like!

I was hit with the bug about 4 months ago and I am doing everything I can to improve! From several threads I have read, I can see i am on the right path!