Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which CZ to go with?

mikeinctown

There aren't a whole lot of dealers around me that I've seen sell CZ pistols. One LGS got a handful in stock and until a couple weeks back I had never even touched a CZ. After being able to handle a 75 SP-01 I feel the need to purchase one. The problem I'm having is trying to figure out which one to purchase. There are several I am looking at and would like to get something that I can shoot with should I start getting into any local competitions. I have also looked at the XDm 5.25 and the ease of upgrades has me really thinking, though I love the weight and feel of the CZ.

My choices

75 SP-01 stock. I can purchase for about $600 plus tax.

75 SP-01 Tactical. (or is it just a 75 tactical?) Same price but instead of a safety you get the decocker.

85 Combat. Again, around $600

SP-01 Shadow Target. I think the price on these are around $1,300. the Accu Shadow is completely out of my price range. This one is way up there but if I sell off one of my other pistols I will have the $$.

75 shadow. This is where I am confused. I see several of these on gunbroker for about $800. they have the shadow slide but the grips look to be standard grips. As I only know the Shadow models from a catalog and they are aluminum I'm not sure if these are custom models or old stock.

I believe if I get the SP-01 I can purchase parts and do work that will get me near the Shadow Target. Can the same be done with the 75 Tactical? Are there upgrades for the 85 Combat, and if so how does it compare?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SP01 Shadow Target is the 1 to get. It has all of the up grades that you will need. The SP01 Shadow Target does not have a firing pin block, so the trigger is a little better. 85 combat does not have the full length dustcover, so it is a little lighter ( more recoil) . up grades can be found at Cajun gun works & CZ Customs for about $350 in parts will get it done. After you get the parts, do the polishing & the work, it is some times just better to buy 1 already done.

http://www.cajungunworks.com/index.html

http://czcustom.com/

If I were just getting into CZs, I would pick up one of the $800 75 shadows. What you see on GB are the "base" shadows that haven't been worked over by CZC, come with stock shadow sights including a 1.5 mm wide fs, and probably have plastic grips. However, they lack a fpb allowing you to get an ultimate CZ 75 trigger, they also have the frame shape (beavertail and trigger guard) that allow a high efficient grip, and they come with a shadow slide with the larger diameter barrel of the shadows.

It could use some trigger tuning, some spring changes, maybe an extended fp, and a short reset disconnector to reach the full potential CZs possess but you will have an exceptional platform to build upon as you learn more about tuning your new pistol.

you will probably try several different sets of grips before you find what you really like. I prefer the inexpensive factory rubbers.

To rail or not to rail, that is the question.

In my opinion this is more important than the block/no block issue because with my handy little guide here :devil: (CZ Tuning 101 with Professor Atlas) and some CGW parts you can get a great trigger with a block equipped gun. Most people like the rail because it shoots a hair softer, but the no rail models trade a little more muzzle flip for less weight. Keep in mind these are differences of a tiny degree, it's not like a Stock II vs Glock 17 :)

You will most likely be happy with either, but if you favor the soft push of 147s over the snap of 124s I recommend the rail, be it the base SP01 or the SP01 Shadow Target.

+1 for the shadow target. While the standard 75 shadow and SP01 shadow are great guns, the worked over action on the target model is pretty dang sweet. I also prefer the weight of the railed CZs.

Disclaimer: I haven't been bold enough to disassemble my CZ actions yet. Atlas' guide looks like a great resource though.

I just received my 75 Shadow from CZ Custom a couple of weeks ago. It has the FO front sight already installed, I also had the guys at the shop do the Trigger job there and had the good hammer installed with the Short reset trigger parts.. Awesome out of the box.. the support there is unbelievable. Te reason I let them do the work it was my first CZ and yes I watched Professor Atlas's tutorial I just wanted to run.. delivery time on the gun was 2 weeks. all under $1130.00 they are just one of the 2 highly touted shops here in the CZ world

Are you going to shoot IDPA or USPSA?

If IDPA, who knows if they will say that the Target is illegal.

To be honest I do not know. The ranges within 30 minutes of me are all indoor ranges that do bowling pin shoots on occasion. I was turned on to an outdoor range maybe half hour from where I work but do not know if they do events. Also do not know if there are any other outdoor ranges within about an hour of my house that does events. So at this point I want to pick up something that I can get used to, practice with, and then possibly use at an event down the road. It was my hope that the standard SP-01 with trigger job or the Shadow model would be ok either way.

There is a used SP-01 local to me and the guy wants $600 but considering what a new one goes for here I think he is $50-$100 too high (at the minimum) There is another about 3 hours from me for $700 -"CZ 75 SP01 with a cajun gun works short reset trigger kit, race hammer, spur, and disconnect. Also has dawson precision sights (FO front, serrated rear)." I think this is probably worth the $700 but not sure who did the work. Also have to factor in the gas for my truck for a 6 hour round trip.

Are you going to shoot IDPA or USPSA?

If IDPA, who knows if they will say that the Target is illegal.

To be honest I do not know.

Don't do this.

Figure out what sport you want to participate in, read the rulebook, ask questions, THEN sink your money.

If you MUST buy a pistol without knowing what rules you are going to play under, get a plain SP-01 (I prefer the SP-01 Tactical because I want a decocker) and keep it stock until you decide where you are going to play. Then mod within those rules.

Or take the chance of making an expensive mistake that will limit your choices.

Well after some not so exhaustive searching, there are a handful of places within an hour drive for me that hold IDPA events, or at least follow IDPA rules. there are only one or two that have USPSA events.

I do not plan on participating in an event any time soon. The current goal (as you point out) is to get the correct model of the 75 that I can work with and get used to.

I believe the Shadow models should be legal in USPSA production and IDPA SSP. Decocker guns can be made really good with some custom work, but they still aren't quite as nice as the DA/SA triggers.

IMHO, it's best to buy the nicest gun you are comfortable purchasing. A couple hundred dollars up front does not make too much difference when you compare the amount you can spend on range time, ammo and travel time. On average, I spend about the same amount on ammo per year that I spent to purchase my SP01. Of course, admittedly, I always use this logic to justify a slightly nicer initial investment. :D

The 75 Shadow is a legal gun for production in IDPA, the Accu Shadow was the one that received all the flak at the Nationals this year because of the machined bushing.. you can use the shadow also in ESP and also Limited minor in USPSA as well as production also. As Jay Dee says buy the nicest gun you can afford for the gun cost is deferred over years. I look forward to shooting my shadow and selling 1 or 2 of my Glocks. They have served me well. but we do all change and want new toys.

Also to the OP the shadow comes with the plastic grips from the factory. I plan on ordering some rubber grips soon as for now I have placed Skateboard tape and It improved the grip. as far as you stating the used gun was 50 to 100 dollars high in your opinion they will hold there value IMHO

Edited by lstone

Istone, are the grips you refer to the same style that come on the SP-01 or something different? I like the feel of the ones on the SP-01.

Also, with the shadow you ordered, how did the pricing work out for you and where did you order it from? I ask because a few places I have seen on the web show a retail of close to a grand for the base shadow plus work. If you order it through the LGS then maybe you get a price break? I know the guy I use for transfers will order for you at his cost plus shipping costs plus 10% for his profit. Other places like to charge closer to retail price and the big one locally is kind of a chain who doesn't custom order, at least from what I'm told.

I think the rubber grips I want are the ones from the SP-01. Also I ordered my my Shadow from CZ Custom. I talked with Rob there. The people there Are very helpful. I ordered the base Shadow on there site for $850.00 and then added a trigger job with SRT And 85 trigger and recommender Hammer. The delivery time was shorter than they estimated the total shipped to me was $1125.00 Had I knob I would have ordered the grips then LOL

http://czcustom.com/CZ-UB-USA-Factory-Pistols.aspx

OK thanks. I see they already give you a different hammer than normal and you get an 85 trigger already. So I guess what they give you with the base really isn't any better than the standard stuff? Or is the hammer and trigger mid grade and you pay extra for the best stuff? BTW, did you get the DA/SA or SA only?

I'm also wondering if there is a way to get the rail on the Shadow without buying the Shadow Sport model or if that is the only way.

The way to get the rail on a shadow is to get the sp 01 shadow.

My first CZ was an sp 01 shadow target. Sweet shooter. Next, I bought a 75 shadow target, basically a base shadow that I made a few changes to. I shoot a bit of IDPA and first shot the SP 01, switched over to the 75, and then switched back to the SP 01 but with an after acquired upper with fixed sights. The difference between the railed and non railed shadows is very minor. I could easily go back to the 75 and get used to it in an instant.

The concern with a shadow target is that the slide is milled for the adjustable sights and it might be declared IDPA illegal. This won't be a concern in a local match but could be a concern if you start shooting bigger matches.

If you get an SP 01 or a 75 shadow, I recommend a fixed sight model. It could take some tinkering to get the sights where you want them but the gun won't be declared IDPA illegal and you won't have to worry about the rear sight breaking or having pins walk out.

I'm sure you will like whatever CZ you buy.