Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Tactical Sport Review

Whoops!

It's been a while since I've shot a Tactical Sport. I bought one used here (seller said one weekends worth of rounds through it, and I believe it). On a side note, the seller, MJPLEO, was great. Prompt shipping and dealing through my FFL and he is an FFL himself (Mean Green Firearms), recommended.

First let's talk fitment. Slide to frame fit was slightly better than most CZ's, still a tiny bit of wobble though. Not as tight as I'd like, but tighter than most factory setups. The barrel to slide fit also had a tiny bit of wobble, in this case more than most factory guns in my recent experience. That being said, the accuracy of the platform was still better than most factory guns. However, I could see how an Accu-bushing would benefit.

The gun came with the 7.5mm high, 1.5mm fiber optic front sight from CZ Custom designed to work with the stock TS sight. With this setup, it shoots 2" high at 25 meters and is perfectly centered horizontally. Expect about 2" groups out of the Tactical Sport at this distance. I can't recommend this sight setup enough for action shooting. No worry of adjustable sight breakage, and if you set up the larger fiber optic rod properly it glows like mad in the daylight. A lot of people complain about the Tactical Sport for racking the miniscule slide. I agree. With the stock springs and oil on the slide, it's, dare I say it, impossible to get a smooth, unloaded, conventional start with any type of consistency whatsoever. That being said, it is possible to flat palm the top of the slide so that your index finger pushes against the large rear sight and the rest of your hand palms the slide. With this method, I feel there is minimal time lost compared to a smooth conventional start (about two tenths of a second) That being said, even though it's one of the few ways to get a smooth start with stock springs, that rear sight chews up the operator's index finger. This issue subsides substantially when the user puts in lighter springs.

This particular Tactical Sport had red, CZ Custom aluminum grips installed. There are positives and negatives with these. They look stunning. They allow easier interaction with the safety (some people have said they make it too easy and accidental magazine drops are common, I completely disagree with that . . . the magazine release is still very heavy and it's not a big fat round button like many 2011s, these grips only benefit its operation, not exacerbate it). On the downside, they aren't as grippy as the stock wood grips. The little bit of skateboard tape they have on them make them have a tendency to scrub your hand only in that area. Then, the other area with the smooth aluminum gets no traction at all. Not ideal in action shooting, especially if your hands are dry and start to bleed.

The trigger . . . is even better than other reviews say it is. Compared to my two previous 2011 open guns, both of which had expensive aftermarket triggers and reputed gunsmith tuning, it is better. The stock trigger has both pre and over-travel adjustment. The trigger weight is starting to get to the realm of unnoticeable (which I have previously experienced on $3500 and up bolt actions) but it isn't quite there. The over and pre travel screws can be set so that the stock plastic trigger is comparable to a mouse click, with no pre-travel, minimal perceptible over travel (again, the expensive bolt actions barely do this better), and near minimal weight (I'd consider minimal weight to be half a pound, this one with a 15 pound mainspring is closer to 1 and a half pounds than to 2 pounds). I commend CZ on a factory trigger design that is capable of this with no extreme polishing or reliability issues. What a great engineering feat on a handgun in this price range. Paintballers would like this trigger, let alone handgun shooters. I strongly believe the only reason anyone would buy the aluminum trigger is for aesthetics. In my experience, and limited experience with this gun, plastic triggers are less prone to travel screw movement. As a result, Loctite is seldom as necessary on those little screws as when one is using a metal trigger.

Here's where I start to go off into the proverbial deep end as so many gun writers tend to do. I always see, "It makes a 12 gauge feel like a 20 gauge," or "It makes a .45 feel like a 9mm," or "It makes a .308 feel like a .223," when gun writers discuss certain platforms. One of them is the 2011 and how it softens recoil. I've shot a lot. I mean a lot of different guns. I almost always disagree with these statements and think they come from inexperienced (or perhaps unskilled is a better word) shooters who are not aware of exactly what the gun is doing under recoil.

That being said, this Tactical Sport makes the .40 feel like a 9mm. I mean that in as direct a way as possible. The .40 Tactical Sport has very similar muzzle flip to my regular, 9mm, CZ75b. I don't know why, I know it's heavier, but it's not that much heavier. I know it has a longer frame, so the percentage of moving mass in the gun is smaller compared to the regular CZ 75 and the front weight is more biased than normal. But, considering the operating systems are basically the same [With the possible exception of slide to hammer interaction (As a result of the Tac Sports firing pin stop plate) which can definitely have an impact], it's surprising how well this platform subdues the recoil of factory 170-180 power factor loads.

I love the stock plastic magwell. It doesn't line up with the inside of the grip (I know CZ UB did this on purpose to sell aftermarket magwells :angry: ), but it does it's job for the most part and it has all the benefits of a plastic magwell. It lets you practice as hard as you want, with no worry of scratching up the outside of your gun on a missed reload. This is a gigantic plus for someone as OCD as I am. On a related note, bend the magazine brake inside the grip area away from the mags so that it allows them to completely drop free regardless of the angle of your gun when you press the magazine release)

I bought an extended safety from CZ Custom. This part, like the fiber optic front sight, is highly recommended. It makes disengaging the safety so much easier, no fitting is required, and it really works well in interaction with your hand to subdue muzzle flip. Someone needs to make a thumb rest slide stop for the Tac Sport platform. I'm talking to the gunsmiths here. Make it and you will sell it. Due to the placement of the slide stop, I recommend a metal dowl type protruding from where the slide stop goes into the frame. It should be the same radius as the front of the slide and roughly a 1/4" thick.

I shot the Tac Sport for the second time today and it was in a match. One person there was 80% of Matt Mink at an area match. I won the match. I recommend this gun.

For the money, there is no better Limited division gun on the planet.

Not taking into account the money . . . it's still damn close to the best limited division gun on the planet as far as recoil characteristics and trigger pull. Then we're starting to talk about aesthetics as well as recoil and precision, my bid may go to a hybrid Strayer Voigt setup with a metal frame. Hard to say.

On a scale of 5 stars, with 5 stars being an island-barreled Strayer Voigt with a custom, electronic, Olympic style trigger system in it as well as various other custom touches and 1 star being an old Kel-Tec PF9. The CZ 75 Tactical Sports model in .40 gets a 4.5 out of 5. 4 when completely stock. 5 when taking cost into account.

Edited by Whoops!

I'm not actually in LA right. I'm in Dallas. The match was at Proactive Defense. It was outlaw, USPSAish format. They didn't score for power factor and everyone was shooting limited or open. I shot major regardless. It seemed like a good group.

As someone else pointed out, it's the TS's firing pin stop plate I'm referencing, not the firing pin block which is on the regular CZ.

Edited by Whoops!

If they are so hard to come by (CZ Custom says they aren't available and don't ask when they might be) what benefit is this very good review? Frankly, I was sold on the TS in 40 S&W but they are hard to find. I need an available alternative. Any suggestions?

Just out of curiousity, why would you want a 9mm? It's really a Limited gun, why force yourself to shoot minor? .40 you have a choice

If I had to guess it would be for 3 gun. You get a lot of gun for the money with a TS and that would free up some cash for whatever shotgun loaders are the new hotness.

Nobody gives a crap what pistol you shoot in 3 gun.

Oh yeah I should mention I was looking for a 9mm. I could go swimming in 40s if I so desired.

Get one in 40

Buy barrel and mags

Have barrel fitted

Best of both worlds

What's wrong with stock barrel ??

Oh yeah I should mention I was looking for a 9mm. I could go swimming in 40s if I so desired.

Get one in 40

Buy barrel and mags

Have barrel fitted

Best of both worlds

What's wrong with stock barrel ??
I think he is saying to buy the 9mm barrel for conversion.

Just out of curiousity, why would you want a 9mm? It's really a Limited gun, why force yourself to shoot minor? .40 you have a choice

If I had to guess it would be for 3 gun. You get a lot of gun for the money with a TS and that would free up some cash for whatever shotgun loaders are the new hotness.

Nobody gives a crap what pistol you shoot in 3 gun.

If you had to guess you would be right! Although I don't jump on any new shotgun loader bandwagons, weak hand from caddies for me please. I did consider buying a 40 and fitting a 9mm barrel, but my shooting budget is such that I have to pick one game and put all my focus/money there. One of those barrels would get badly neglected, I'll give you one guess which.

I suppose. It might not offset the cost of buying the 9mm barrel though. I was just barely patient enough to wait for what I wanted to come along, it makes me sad to get a new toy that needs immediate modification for it to be anywhere near what I need. But I have been doing pretty well with the 45 I've been using out of necessity, maybe the 40 wouldn't have hurt me that bad.

In that case, you need a unicorn. I've seen a fair amount of tanfo limited guns in 9mm (but none in 40), and also a fair amount of stock 2's in 40 (but not 9mm). Essentially, whatever you want, we don't have.