Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Tactical Sport Review

Whoops!

Actually, it came with one custom mag from CZ custom. It had the spring and follower from them in the 140mm setup. That being said, in comparing their spring to the factory CZ spring, it was softer. The follower lacking anti-tilt characteristics also causes it to be less reliable than the factory follower. What I ended up doing was putting in a stiffer factory spring and follower setup with the follower sanded on the edges to work in the extended basepad without binding. The Grams style follower and spring from CZ custom have, in my opinion, been the cause of the only failure to feed this gun has had in the ~600 rounds since I've owned it.

On top of that, the custom follower and spring allowed the mag to hold 20 rounds and oh so close to 21 but not close enough to fit in. The factory spring and follower allow it to hold 20 with only a little leeway. That being said, no capacity lost and it is still 20 rounds reloadable off the belt.

All in all, I really can't recommend the CZ custom spring and follower over the factory setup (or for that matter the full CZ Custom 140mm magazine), unless you don't know how to sand the factory follower to make it work with the extended basepad. There's a reason the most reliable AR mags have the edges on the follower to prevent it from tilting. Same basic concept, a pistol follower without the edges will make the rounds above it more likely to nose dive and do other weird things as they move.

Let me also clarify something. CZ Custom is one of the best stores I've ever dealt with online. Shipping is brutally fast and the products are always accurate no matter how many little off-the-wall things I order. However, some of their custom products really aren't worth it. This can be said of a lot of different custom shops, but few offer as reliable a service as CZ custom.

Edited by Whoops!

Great write up. Once my springs took a set I get 21 reloadable in my mags with the CZC follower and spring. This is a stunning gun. I've been running one for about 7 years. For 3 gun I shoot minor .40. Stupid soft, I can stuff big boy major rounds in for spinners or obstinate plates and I only loose two rounds in capacity to a 9. Win!

A lot of people complain about the Tactical Sport for racking the miniscule slide. I agree. With the stock springs and oil on the slide, it's, dare I say it, impossible to get a smooth, unloaded, conventional start with any type of consistency whatsoever. That being said, it is possible to flat palm the top of the slide so that your index finger pushes against the large rear sight and the rest of your hand palms the slide. With this method, I feel there is minimal time lost compared to a smooth conventional start (about two tenths of a second) That being said, even though it's one of the few ways to get a smooth start with stock springs, that rear sight chews up the operator's index finger. This issue subsides substantially when the user puts in lighter springs.

Great writeup of a great gun. It's been my choice since 2011.

While I recognize the comment about racking the slide, I don't fully buy into the argument. Yes, it's different from how you'd rack a 2011 slide, but once you figure it out it's fairly quick. When I started with the TS I used the stock rear sight as my "racker", which took it's toll on the support hand index finger. What I do now is to draw the gun and slap on the web between my support hand index finger and thumb on the slide, press down and rack the slide. I don't even try to pinch the slide. This works fine for me, without grip tape and with stock springs... ;)

Not the best videos to show this and I fumble the mag insertion on one of them, but you get the idea:

The sight forces you to stop rearward movement of the hand before you can come off of the slide, preventing the smoothest possible application of the slide rack.

The stock springs and oil comment was based on a traditional slide rack, pinching it between the fingers.

Edited by Whoops!

My experience with TS mags has been the opposite of Whoops. I ordered an additional mag with the pistol and later ordered four of the CZC extended bases. 20 rounds was enough for me, so I intended to use the stock springs and followers. Even after all the smoothing and deburring recommended by CZC, I still could only get one mag to hold 20, and on two of them the follower would get stuck in the base pad and require a screwdriver to twist the follower so it would unstick.

I sent everything down to Stuart. He exchanged springs and followers and basically mixed and matched until he found the right combo. Even so, he had to sand one follower to get it to work. After a month or so I noticed that one of the mags would not drop when empty. I discovered the follower was cocking so that the high side was even higher and at an angle. That caused the mag to stick. As it turned out, it was the mag with the sanded follower. I replaced the factory spring and follower with the recommended CZC 21 round units and the problem disappeared. Even though it will reload 21, I only put 20 in it. It continues to function flawlessly. The only minor quibble I'd have was the new follower made loading the first round manually a little harder.

I use all 4 of my mags all the time to even out wear. I have noticed the remaining factory followers are starting to cock as well. When they get bad enough, i'll replace them with CZC guts or possibly the Gramm's units.

Edited by zzt

I put the 20 round mag guts in my TS mags and never had a problem with them until this weekend at the Gator Classic. After 2 years and about 8k rounds or so, for some reason they gave me two double feeds, and on one stage, the follower/spring jammed and spilled ammo all over the stage…

Im wondering what caused this?

My TS has performed flawlessly so far, I brag about the reliability all the time. That is, until this weekend….

Still, its an awesome gun!

I put the 20 round mag guts in my TS mags and never had a problem with them until this weekend at the Gator Classic. After 2 years and about 8k rounds or so, for some reason they gave me two double feeds, and on one stage, the follower/spring jammed and spilled ammo all over the stage…

Im wondering what caused this?

My TS has performed flawlessly so far, I brag about the reliability all the time. That is, until this weekend….

Still, its an awesome gun!

Not that I am sure this is the cause but I replace mag springs about every 6 months irregardless of platform. They compress and wear out leading to a multitude of issues.

Actually, it sounds like the same experience with the followers. With the extensions, the followers have to be beveled appropriately at the top to work. Mine have approximately a 30 degree angle over approximately 1/8th of an inch distance on each side of the follower and they never gets stuck in the extensions and they never tilt. It is a balancing act, not enough bevel and they will get stuck, too much and they will tilt.They now both hold 20 reloadable and are extremely consistent. No sign of any disfunction after 1000 rounds of very lightly loaded .40 with Clays. I can't say the same for what I call the "plank" follower.

I agree about replacing the springs. Replace them at the start of each season, regardless of if you're having malfunctions.

Edited by Whoops!

• 2 weeks later...

If they are so hard to come by (CZ Custom says they aren't available and don't ask when they might be) what benefit is this very good review? Frankly, I was sold on the TS in 40 S&W but they are hard to find. I need an available alternative. Any suggestions?

Czc has a whole bunch in stock now. I just bought one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they are so hard to come by (CZ Custom says they aren't available and don't ask when they might be) what benefit is this very good review? Frankly, I was sold on the TS in 40 S&W but they are hard to find. I need an available alternative. Any suggestions?

In stock again.

• 1 month later...

Good morning. . I've been reading a lot of the post and you guys seem to be an authority when it comes to the cz Ts. I have a few questions, and hope you can help me. First, what recoil spring would you recommend, I still have a stock slide and will be shooting 180 or 200 grain lead 165pf. Second, what hammer did you use from cz custom, is it a drop in? Third, what dawson sight do I need to install to get a poa/ poi at 20 yrd using the stock rear sight. Thanks again and have blessed New year.

• 2 weeks later...

11 lb recoil spring will be right on the edge for reliable function in the Tactical Sport and give the best recoil characteristics. It makes sense, since Henning recommends the same with the Tanfoglio of similar design.

I use the stock hammer for my sub 2 lb trigger pull and minimal creep.

All I know is the stock sight shoots about 4 inches high.

Edited by Whoops!

Technically, any ammo will damage the frame and plastic guide rod. The lighter recoil spring will theoretically accelerate the wear. However, I haven't heard of anyone having any substantial issue and my parts seem to be holding up well at about the 7k round count.

I'm using the blade tech speed rig and I like it a lot. I did not like the factory drop so I switched to an invictus hanger that I like a lot.

I belive midway still has some speed rigs on clearance if you aren't picky about color.

• 1 month later...