Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 most prolific hand guards in 3-gun

3GunRunner

With such a well rounded group of shooters here I wondered if people could help me with this curiosity I have on what are the 3 most prolific hand guard manufacturers in 3-gun and why.

Thank you all for your answers.

Edited by 3GunRunner

Don't know if you can narrow it down to only 3 specific make/models of HG as there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of options if you count all the lengths and variations and peoples preferences are all different and so is thier needs and budget.

I think you can narrow it down to some common features that are more ubiquitous to the specific sport of 3-gun as opposed to what someone would put on a tactical, or budget carbine.

- Free float

- Long length (generally in the 12-15" range)

- Simple, minimalistic, uncluttered, lightweight

- Capable of adding piecemeal accessories to facilitate simple things such as short rail pieces for sights or sling/bipod attachments

That rules out chunky quad rails, delta ring clam shells, and so on. From there, we have the good fortune of having a plethora of options for all needs, budgets and preferences to choose lengths, materials, options, brands, etc.

The why...

There are a lot of McDonald's hamburgers sold...the most prolific is going to be decided by marketing and or price point and really has little if anything to do with quality.

I see more DPMS aluminum tube HGs than any other and it has been that way since I started in 3Gun in 2005 or so.

I think you'll also see some regional differences. There aren't a lot of guys in the Southeast using handguards from many of the manufacturers in the Northwest.

We all have our favorites- I'll tell you mine is the Samson Evo, but since I'm also great friends w/ the folks at Samson, that will come as no surprise. They make a good product and support almost every major match out there.

For extra long unit, I really like how solid JP units are and you can see this with people that use them. I have a couple of 15.5" and there is no give when I flop it down on to barriers.

I see Lancer and Seekins often too, but around my area, I see a lot of JP handguards. I used to choose Troy and Samson, but I like the texture on JP modular handguards.

Is the commonality of JP handguards because people are buying them for thier ground up builds or merely because they come pre-packaged with JP Uppers and Rifles and those themselves are a common sight at 3-gun matches? I would vote the latter since there are plenty of other options available when doing scratch builds that are not JP-centric.

Is the commonality of JP handguards because people are buying them for thier ground up builds or merely because they come pre-packaged with JP Uppers and Rifles and those themselves are a common sight at 3-gun matches? I would vote the latter since there are plenty of other options available when doing scratch builds that are not JP-centric.

Hard to say without looking close, but many I have seen had different lowers and muzzle brakes. Granted, I am in Minnesota and they are a local company. But from a few big matches I still see them used on custom builds.

I really want to try the Seekins SP3R for extended period of time as I have only held and shot a handful of rounds with one. I can't see myself committing to a flat bottom, but I like the way it looks.

I really want to try the Seekins SP3R for extended period of time as I have only held and shot a handful of rounds with one. I can't see myself committing to a flat bottom, but I like the way it looks.

You will like the way it feels and shoots off barricades/improvised positions more than the looks.