Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Sniper (film)

Jman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope there's some collector's, special edition, unrated, director's cut that is released on dvd/blu ray that adds another 2 hours of unreleased footage. Not a 6hr Dances w/Wolves addition, but something that gives us more of what the book covered that the theatrical version couldn't squeeze in.

After I filled her in on some of the changes from book to film, she's decided that she wants to read the book.

Enjoyed the movie for the portrayal of what our troops experienced in battle an then the battle of re-integrating into everyday life in the USA.

Side question - what caliber of rifle did Chris use to take out the sniper at the end of the movie? 300 win mag?

One thing that I thought was unrealistic about the movie was the close up shots of the trigger pulling. Several times they show the finger going towards the trigger just before breaking a shot and then their finger rows back into the trigger aggressively with a mash to break the shot. If these guys were really making 1000 yard shots and hitting what they are shooting at, they sure as hell are not mashing the crap out of the trigger like that. I understand that from a movie perspective they want to make the action of pulling the trigger dramatic with aggressive finger movements, but its pretty unrealistic to what long range precision rifle shooters are actually doing when they crank one off at a target far away.

One thing that I thought was unrealistic about the movie was the close up shots of the trigger pulling. Several times they show the finger going towards the trigger just before breaking a shot and then their finger rows back into the trigger aggressively with a mash to break the shot. If these guys were really making 1000 yard shots and hitting what they are shooting at, they sure as hell are not mashing the crap out of the trigger like that. I understand that from a movie perspective they want to make the action of pulling the trigger dramatic with aggressive finger movements, but its pretty unrealistic to what long range precision rifle shooters are actually doing when they crank one off at a target far away.

Agree with you on that. The fake recoil was too fake

Enjoyed the movie for the portrayal of what our troops experienced in battle an then the battle of re-integrating into everyday life in the USA.

Side question - what caliber of rifle did Chris use to take out the sniper at the end of the movie? 300 win mag?

I just started reading the book so I didn't get to that part but there is a picture of a rifle in the book that is Lapua. 338 and it says it was a 2100 yard shot.

The recoil and muzzle rise for the M4s was greatly exaggerated. Especially for having a can hanging off the end. Which is odd because normally Hollywood doesn't even show muzzle rise with pistol or rifles.

My wife and I enjoyed the movie very much, some things were very fake(ie trigger control, over doing the recoil on the rifles, etc.) I thought the end of the movie was the best part, it was touching to see a state honor a hero, it showed people that's what a real hero looks like and how he touched peoples lives.

As a "hollywood movie" it was fun I guess.

As far as telling the story of the Chris Kyle, the real human being, I thought it was over-glorified for a man who certainly didn't require any exaggeration in his story.

Bradley Cooper sucks the big one, awful choice for that role, he's such a chump.

For a movie that should've played out like a live-action documentary, I felt instead it just played out as another hollywood action film.

I'm sure people will hate that opinion, but idk, it just didn't work for me.

Edited by nitrohuck

Everybody (almost) on this site would notice the trigger pull thing, but most of the public would not know he squeezed the trigger without the exaggerated "pull." Probably same for the recoil.

So true. Being retired Army it's pretty hard to watch any military themed movie, show or whatever. Especially Army. But i'm like 2% of the population or something. I'm sure it's the same way for police officers watching cop shows.

You got that right, Sarge. I saw the movie SWAT in a theater full of cops and you almost couldn't hear over the screams of bulls---. The only thing we all agreed on was when Hondo said, "You only roll in John Woo movies."

Bradley Cooper spent a lot of time with Taya Kyle even reading they're email traffic in order to "get it right". Clearly Clint Eastwood went through a painstaking process to get his story correct and portray it to the best of his ability. Its patriotic, it tells a true story about some brave men and the political, moral and emotional difficulties those men faced. It also paints a accurate picture of what Military families have to endure. A little recoil over glorification...who cares.

Edited by aaronsdmf

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it a few weeks ago and concur with most folks here: a few technical bits ya notice, but largely true to the subject. Reading the book last week was also enjoyable, and it really makes me wish I could have met him. Immediately thereafter I read The Reaper, and it was VERY interesting comparing the two.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally saw the DVD last night and have mixed reviews. Given the popularity of the movie with the public and some favorable comments from women, I was expecting more of a personal story than an action movie. So that may have tainted my view somewhat.

As an action movie, it could just as easily been about some fictional character and it wouldn't have been any better or worse for that. But it wasn't and as a result I came away feeling like I had just watched an updated version of "To Hell and Back" with Audie Murphy. It had the feeling that it was a real story glossed over some places and pumped up others - there was a lot of fictional stuff in the movie which didn't need to be there.

I have not read the book so I don't know how much of his personal life between and after his deployments was covered but it was certainly glossed over in the movie. And I consider that to be the biggest failing in this movie. There are thousands of soldiers that have done two, three, and four tours in the middle east. The film crammed the 4 years of his life after his last tour into 10-15 min of film and made it seem as if he was just a bit moody then after one visit to a shrink was all better. That's where I feel the movie really failed.

Chris Kyle was a physical and emotional wreck after 4 tours. He needed reconstructive surgery to at least one knee, was becoming an alcoholic, and had been in trouble with the police. He was headed to the morgue or jail fast. All the movie needed to do was to cut 30 min of action and give us some of that, his recovery, and the work he was doing with vets.

I'm, not saying that they needed to remake "The Hurt Locker" but a little bit the insight that movie brought to the screen would have made this a better film.

Edited by Graham Smith