Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you could pick any place in the US to live...

airforceblue7032

Just for competition? Central FL or Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale

I would take the AZ summer over the FL summer. Yes it is burning hot but at least there is no humidity and you can drive up to Flagstaff for some relief.

Just for competition, there are more matches in Central Florida than there are days in the weekends to accommodate them. IDPA, ICORE, USPSA at Volusia on Saturdays. IDPA, ICORE/USPSA in Orlando on Sundays. Just up the road in Flagler along 1-95 is IDPA Sunday with Steel Challenge on Saturday, just up the road along I-75 is Gainesville (IDPA, USPSA or Steel Challenge) . Go South of Orlando for the same drive and you've got IDPA and USPSA at several ranges. There aren't enough weekend days in the months to shoot all the matches (and I haven't even listed them all!) that are available within a 2.25 hour drive from Orlando... and along an EXCELLENT road system.

August matches can be tough if you aren't used to the humidity. But there is never a weekend day in any month without some kind of match (IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, ICORE, within a simple drive in Central FL.

Arizona, Pheonix or Mesa area. On some weekends you can shoot 4 matches at different clubs and many shoot matches in the cool, clear, bugless evenings.

True story. If you're really serious about being a competition junkie, there's no place like Phoenix. Good legal situation, reasonable cost of living, only the heat to deal with, but if you're serious about your priorities, you'll deal with it -- other places might have less heat during the summer, but they often have worse weather, which will have a more adverse effect on the competition schedule.

• 3 weeks later...

Southern California. I live within 1.5 hours of 9 different clubs, and 3 are less than 45 minutes away. All run matches every Saturday and Sunday. USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge/3 gun and local action matches. However, the gun laws are kinda stupid.

Southern California. I live within 1.5 hours of 9 different clubs, and 3 are less than 45 minutes away. All run matches every Saturday and Sunday. USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge/3 gun and local action matches. However, the gun laws are kinda stupid.

More than just kinda stupid. They are a special kind of stupid.

Edited by M1911

And, CA has some pretty serious taxes, including a personal income tax IIRC. FL doesn't, and you can get concealed carry permit pretty easily if you aren't some kind of felon.

And, the fishing in FL is a lot better. I was born in CA. I now choose to live in FL.

I've come up with what I think is the best of two worlds. I'm a Canadian snowbird that lives in an RV. My summers are in the Niagara area of Ontario. There are a large number of clubs in driving distance from where I live. My main club is 25 minutes away. I shoot IPSC during the summers and both shotgun and 3Gun are becoming more available.

My winters are in Corpus Christi Texas. I shoot every week in a choice of disciplines. Two ranges are within 15/25 minutes of my Texan RV park. The city is just the right size and I can reach everything in less than 30 minutes. The gun culture is first rate and constantly improving. I shoot here from October to April and then escape the heat with a trip back to Canada.

The RV gives me a lot of flexibility but I'm very happy with a combination of these two locations.

• 1 month later...

If you could move anywhere in the US where would you go that allowed the greatest opportunity to become a competition shooting junkie?

I just did this - not hypothetically, but actually moved anywhere in the U.S.

that I wanted (Just retired and moved from New York State).

I moved to Central Florida - just a dozen miles from Mickey & Minnie Mouse.

Most people don't know that Mickey is a GM and Minnie babysits while

Mickey gives you shooting lessons (in Frostproof). :cheers:

Stay away from California, really bad gun laws and getting worse each passing year.

If I really wanted to shoot a lot, head to Phoenix. Lots of matches there.

No thanks to Florida, I'm from the east coast and the humidity is a killer.

Phoenix might be hot, but low humidity!

Iowa, quite a few matches pretty close year round and shall issue. Taxes are fairly high, the summers are hot and humid and the winters are cold (its about zero right now). Wait... at least the schools are good and the people are the best and crime is really low. Hmmph, I guess no place is perfect. We also honor any states' CCW that honors ours.

Sorry to get off on a tangent on this thread. How does the 15 round mag capacity limit in Colorado affect the shooting sports?

It has not.

The front range has a lot of matches. If you like the mountains, hunting, fishing and lots of shooting opportunities, Colorado is pretty good. If just shooting, is have to go with a warm state like AZ, TX, or FL... But too hot for me.

• 2 months later...

HMM awesome thread guys. The wife and I were just talking about were to move the other night. My wife and I live in Fairbanks Alaska right now been here for the last 7 years or so. We will be here for another 3-5 years but then will be moving. Nothing is set in stone yet as to were we go. We are from Michigan but honestly going back there isn't a high priority. We want to move Some were with lots of year round USPSA and 3 gun. Maybe a little IDPA but constantly getting penalized for dropping mags or not shooting from cover annoys me...lol. We would also like to be somewere warm. 8 months of winter every year and -50 temps get old fast. I like Arizona and Texas, leaning slightly more towards Texas. Maybe Florida.Work will be part of it. My wife is a RN so she should be able to find work anywhere. Also cost of living and taxes will play a big part. Hows the fishing in Texas? Bass is a must. I have spent to many years in AK with horrible fishing. Must have decent bird hunting also.